Quote Originally Posted by xPANCAKEx View Post
Syka

this is all speculation of course - i wouldn't be able to say for sure without knowing the guy

after reading that my first theory was this:
*Jack has not been in love with Jill for quite some time
*Jack was staying with the relationship out of habit/fear of loneliness (far more common than you'd imagine)
*The excitement of the prospect of a new relationship has drawn him out of his old relationship that he no longer had feelings for
*He's cut off contact because he no longer wishes to have jill in his life - maybe she is more difficult to deal with than you percieve. He may not want the possiblity of getting back with her again.

my second theory
*he genuinely likes this new girl more than jill, so has moved on

and the third theory - probably wishful thinking here - don't get your hopes up:
*its another break, just in a new format. The other girl is a rebound

fourth
hes just a selfish, uncaring *insert pajoratives here*

the other issues:

what you should do?
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING - its not your job to track the guy down. Be supportive as a friend to jill. If you hear of any way of contacting him, pass the info onto jill and let her choose how to persue him. She may decide she wishes no further contact with him - understandable given the circumstances.

How you should act towards 'Jack'
he is a still a friend. I think if you see him again, you should ask his side of the story. Obviously he's done something that is foul-play, and you can be understandably upset at him for it - but he diserves to be heard out. OF course you may not like anything he has to say and thats tough for him, but he's made his bed so he may well have to lay in it
I'm thinking a bit of 1 and 4, myself. It is a particularly insensitive way of going about things.

The more I think about it, the more it looks like it has all the earmarks of "I don't want to be with you, but I don't want to be alone." Breakups that never stuck, insensitive behavior, things like that. He might have broken things off like he did in order to actively avoid having to do it face to face.