View Single Post

Thread: The Wilder... [3.5]

1. - Top - End - #11

Default Re: The Wilder... [3.5]

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    I believe Complete NerfPsionic did a number on that one as well. I do know that there's several powers that deal slashing/piercing damage that are officially subject to DR, even though corresponding arcane spells aren't. Sucks, I know, and a valid houserule. Unlike the Energy Missile thing, which really should never have been like that in the first place.
    Two Points:

1) Complete Psion did not nerf Psionics, IMO. It removed some options, it added others. Nova ability went way up, with amazing powers like Anticipatory Strike. Some of the boom got weakened, but hey, can't win them all.

2) For the OP: Dispel Psionics doesn't have a counterspelling option. It's one of the few powers that is different from its namesake spell in function.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    I like Swarm of Crystals. The downside? 15' cone means you're way too close, and for big stuff you'll actually have to close past their natural reach to hit. The upside? You don't need line of sight, you don't need to make a touch attack, no save, no SR, irresistible damage (not an energy, DR won't stop a spell even if it's slashing), goes up 1 die for each power point. It may only be d4's, but it's one of the best "shut up and take it" effects I've seen.

Other than that, you've got the right of it. The Wilder is a blaster, that's pretty much all it's allowed to be. Grab a variety of blasting methods, a couple of non-blasty powers just in case, and sink everything else into keeping yourself alive.
    Swarm of Crystals actually hits pretty hard. Yeah, it's subject to DR, dut the damage comes in a very large lump.

Let's take Manifester level 10, for example. Say Wild Surge boosts it to 12.
    10d4 damage. (25 average)
    Say you have a Schism active (level 9 feat), and Practiced Manifester.
    Schism is Manifester level 8.
    Add 8d4. (20 average)

As for inside creature reach? Get powers that grant the following:
    Cover
    Total Concealment

It'll stop AoO's.

Alternately, pound a half dozen points into Vigor, and eat the hit.
    Alternately, wait for the beatstick to soak up the AoO.

15 feet is close for spells. However, most creatures have no more than 10-15 feet of reach.

Also, for the above? 45 damage isn't phenomenal, no.

Factor in the ability to Antipatory Strike, and now at level 10, we're able to throw out 90. That's lookin' more like it. It'll burn through PP like water, but you can maintain a one round nova strike that will end most encounters... for at least 2-3 encounters a day.

That's solid.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-09-28 at 05:33 AM.