Deegan Cottage

As Terim leaves with Smitty, the simpleton taking the bags over one shoulder and the woman's arm in the crook of his own, the young man led her toward the woods to the east, the whole trip taking several minutes as the bog and mire she had seen thus far gave way to a reasonable-looking forest. Deer eating green leaves, birds chirping, bears swatting at bee hives in comical fashions before getting their just desserts...

A bit too reasonable-looking.

As a matter of fact, the skies around here didn't look that bad either. Birds actually flew over the two of them, the odd hummingbird fluttered by, and- in the distance- the inevitable sound of "Hihohiho" could actually be heard. No doubt it was just the wind in the trees or some creatures mimicking dwarfen mining sons to lure prey, but it still didn't help the fact that her kingdom was equivalent to a cow's dung pie, and this place actually had...

A...yellow brick road? No, it was red brick, but apparently it had faded to a yellowish tinge after so long a time. Smitty, however, just followed the path happily, a large cottage visible at the end of the winding pathway. Situated atop a hill, the one-story household actually looked quite nice. Gutters, a well-made terracotta rooftop. There was even paint on the home! It had been painted white, and the actual-glass windows were open. An old woman was visible on the porch before the front door, apparently resting on a recliner in the open sun.

"Dis 'ere's maww's house. I'm don't think she got comp'ny, but Granny Hope ain't one to be announcin' herself." Smitty said, luggage still in hand.

The Caravan

Lethanial nodded to the first two questions, "The forests around our fief's b-b-borders were cited to us with the signing of t-t-the Ironguard Compact by D-d-Dwarf Lord Stonefist. It's an a-a-a-ancient document, b-b-but my studies were q-quite thorough. Quite thorough, sire!" He affirmed, as if reinforcing the fact that nobody could quite fulfill his current station with quite the same skill. Twitching slightly, he stared off into space with a closed mouth. For all intents and purposes, it seemed as if he was drilling a mental hole through the entire assembly of carriages. Metal plates were nothing to a powerful mind, as some of the spellcasters present understood. A familiar quaking began with the accountant as he entered another of his recollective phases.

"As for stone, m'lord, all current reserves are quarried from the mine-village of Korrok. Which, as of the last census thirty-four years ago, had a population of little under two hundred, with a sizable population of dwarves. As of the last census, the projected limestone and hematite supplies were predicted as being more than sufficient to last for the next century. Unfortunately, there have been repeated reports of Duergar within the mines, as well as other subterranean incidentals impeding excavation efforts. As of the last legal records, funding has been increased thricefold to the miners, who have increased their efficiency in accordance."

The man stopped his word-for-word report to return to his stuttering, "I-I-I can be made available to serve, m'lord. B-but I would r-recommend against contacting the W-Wise Man. H-He doesn't t-take visitors, a-and Farmer Loy d-d-didn't h-have a very happy e-ending when he tried to make the Wise Man get his crops to grow ten feet tall. N-not a very happy ending at all...had to use a mop!" He wailed quietly, rubbing his wrists as he looked towards the castle.

"B-but you wish to be rested, m'lord? I-I can m-make provisions..." Lethanial muttered, thinking to himself. "Th-the castle still has...myself. Though I-I have been told I m-make a very good side of pork!" The accountant stammered, looking hopeful. "B-but the rooms are...substandard, lord. The l-last staff weren't paid, and the t-treasury was emptied in the f-flight of our previous l-lord. Payment w-was taken in c-castle property...lord." He pointed to the castle, "But p-please, if y-you wish to handle any last matters in the v-village, I'd s-suggest h-handling them now, lords and l-ladies. You m-may become...overwhelmed...with your new th-throne."