View Single Post

Thread: Dude, where's my jetpack?

1. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Dude, where's my jetpack?

• You have a combined telephone/camera/computer/GPS sensor/inertial motion tracker/media player in your pocket with more power than a desktop PC had a few years ago, or than the entire Apollo space programme did!
    • A team of scientists recently worked out how to foam titanium so that bone, if broken, will grow over and meld with the titanium as it heals.
    • The guys are CERN are reheating the LHC for great fundamental physics justice.
    • We (finally) have aircraft capable of VTOL and supersonic vectored thrust flight, about 40 years after the Brits canned the original project.
    • NASA just tried to launch the rocket that replaces the Space Shuttle.
    • You can buy an electric car, or vehicles powered by hydrogen fuel cells, or by biofuels.
    • The Japanese unveiled a humanoid robot in 2000.
    • We have put men on the moon and probes on Mars.
    • Russia is a democracy, China has a capitalist economy, and India has a space programme!
    • Genetic and stem cell research are a generation away from curing many of our inherited ills.
    • We are two months away from entering the year 2010!

Read some mid-century sci-fi (Asimov, Clarke, Bradbury, etc.): we are living in the future! The problem with 'the future' is that it's a state of mind; not the world you and I live in today.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-10-27 at 07:21 PM.