Hey. So, I've often thought of this as a form of self-hypnosis, but I don't know what it would be considered officially. What am I referring to? Simply, the ability to move one part of your body in a predetermined way by mentally associating it with something else, such as a completely unrelated part of the body.

I've played around with this at night when I can't fall asleep and am very bored, as well as during the middle of the day when I'm bored. Example - mentally associating specific head, mouth, foot, or leg movements with specific arm movements. Detailed example: When I make my mouth form the "oo" shape, my arms move inward, pivoting on the elbow. When I make my mouth form the "ee" shape, they move outward, pivoting on the elbow. Another specific example: when I jerk sharply as if on an invisible cord attached to my left wrist with my right hand, my left wrist moves. Another: When I stretch my toes outward, my right hand moves in one direction, when I curl them, it moves in the opposite direction. And so forth.

I was wondering whether any of the other forumites ever played around with movement via mental association. If so, why? Do you find it interesting? Have you encountered people who refuse to believe that it works? (My mother doesn't believe me, for example.) Do tell!