Quote Originally Posted by Storm Bringer View Post
the Royal navy in 1820 is argubly the premier blue sea navy, without any peer in full on warfare.
I'm well aware of that fact. The fact is however that the Navy is so scattered at the moment (due to a wars on multyple fronts) that they'll hopefully have trouble really using there prowess to the fullest.

for sheer cost effectivness, the best way to defend the nile would be gunboats in the delta, with a larger fort futher downstream as a backstop. the gunboats could make life hazardous for anything smaller than a line of battleship ...
How would obstacles in the water work? There are plenty of places in the world that use guides for merchant ships to reach the harbour. I've also read about blockin ports by sinking ships at strategic places. It could even work wonderful with gunboats at those chokepoints in the Nile.

their bigger threat is in taking merchant shipping as prizes, which will leave you without cash flow as the exports are either on thier way to birtain as spoils of war or sat rotting on the docks.
The Brits can destroy my trade in the Med, there's nothing I can do against that. So I want to focus on presurving my facilities and my resources in Egypt.

if all else fails, surrender and negoicate in bad faith. it's what the ottomans did all the time.
I've been doing nothing else since the beginning of this IH.