View Single Post

Thread: The Cantrip Caster [PrC]

1. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Cantrip Caster [PrC]

Firstly, thanks for all the responses!

On Multiplicity + Versatile spellcaster: Yeah, I read it as you can only do it once, it seems pretty clear in that regard. And with that reading, I don't think that's too unbalanced; you're a spontaneous caster, and delayed an entire level of spells behind prepared casters (thanks to the missing caster level at the start of the class).

On Simplicity and Metamagic: Note that for all the Practiced Spells abilities, it's based on the spell slot being used; the transformation for Simplicity happens after any metamagic has been applied. Thus, even if 1st level spells are low-level for you, if you cast a twinned magic missile, that's coming out of a fifth level spell slot, and thus is not subject to Simplicity. Conversely, if 2nd level spells are low-level for you, and you cast a minimized cone of cold, that's coming out of a second level spell slot, and thus is subject to Simplicity.

On Improved Heighten Spell: Yes, at the moment it applied to all spells, so as to adjust for higher level spells being cast with lesser metamagics. Should I change it so it only applies to low-level spells cast in higher level slots?

On Intensity + Improved Heighten Magic: As written you could reduce the DC of your spells by metamagicing them. Should I change it so it's based on the level of the spell, not the slot used? Or should I scale the tables up through 9th level spells? Or is it okay as-is, you were just making sure that was how it worked?

On Lesser Metamagic: Well, I was assuming a player and a DM with common sense, but if enough people feel like it needs it, I can add qualifiers for all the lesser metamagics that they'd only work if they should work.

On Earth Spell and Sanctum Spell: No, they shouldn't count. I'll adjust the wording to make that clear.

Again, thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot about you Riyoukaze. Yes, that's exactly the point! That, and making use of the lower-level spell slots.
    Last edited by DaTedinator; 2009-12-07 at 01:29 PM.
    Thanks to Dashwood for the avatar!

Check out my Homebrew.