1. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Got a Real-World Weapon or Armor Question? Mk. VI

Agree with that except that I think the Roman Legions charged as small company sized units usually, maniples or centuries depending on the specific era, charge in throw pila and then stab stab stab with the Gladius... if that didn't break the enemy line they march backward into their own formation... then another maniple charges. Of course sometimes several would charge at the same time.

This is kind of hard to visualize because for whatever reason it is never portrayed in films.

Most Iron Age and early Medieval armies basically threw javelins and spears at each other and probed one another with skirmishers and cavalry until one side crumbled under the onslaught, then the swords came out and the slaughter / rout began.

The idea of a lance or a javelin being a primary weapon and a sword being a sidearm IS a little counter-intuitive because we live in a time where missile weapons (automatic rifles) are so dominant and effective that sidearms (pistols, bayonetts, shovels etc.) are sort of a dim afterthought. There is a big difference from an Ak-47 that can spray 30 rounds of high velocity ammo instantly at targets up to 300-400 meters, vs. 3 javelins, or 3 lances. So sidearms were MUCH more important in pre-industrial times.

Swords were for close combat*, then as now, the main part of the fight in terms of time took place at longer range. A halberd or a spear is more effective on the battlefield, until the line breaks up... then it's very valuable to have a sword. However the part of the fight that was close in was often the decisive part of the fight, especially in European warfare which placed such a heavy emphasis on Shock tactics. So I think the sword was very important.

I want to also clarify that for skirmishers like the Rodoleros or the sword and buckler men in an English Civil War context, swords were probably their primary weapon. They were something of the exception to the rule.

*The other main exception to that would be the really large 'true two-hand' specialized greatswords like Zweihanders, Montantes, "Claymores" etc. which were primary battlefield weapons.

G.
    Last edited by Galloglaich; 2009-12-23 at 05:09 PM.