Town of Orlandaar
Border State of Haarn
Outside the North Gate
High Mid-Summer
Late Afternoon

Sael sometimes mused that, no matter how complicated the world seemed, and no matter how complicated people tried and make it, a deeper look always revealed an elegant and overriding simplicity that belied the endless surface permutations.

The borderlands, by way of example. A superficial glance would reveal what appeared to be chaos that was very different from the calm hegemony of the Interior. Here in the Outer States matters of strict practicality often took precedence over convention. Dress and manner did not necessarily indicate social station. Nor was social station a clear indication of prestige and authority. Trade often superseded blood. Physical force could often overcome the rule of law.

The lowest Jaad could quickly amass wealth and power and standing through any combination of luck, skill, cunning and military might while high-ranking Nobles and clearly marked Kenjad looked on from the side-lines. Even the all-mighty Jaden-Rah, so far from the courts and the Ducal Councils, were reduced to the status of obstacles. Or assets.

But a more measured and meditative look showed deeper truths: people still needed to eat. And to sleep. And to acquire prestige and assets. And to defend themselves from those who would do them wrong. And, as always, the concept of 'wrong' was as woefully relative here as it was anywhere.

For all their apparent complexity, the Borderlands were still filled with people. And people, most of the time, were very simple. And yet, Sael thought to himself as he approach the North Gate of Orlandaar, sometimes, just sometimes, they could be very complicated creatures indeed. Which is what made them so interesting.

It was moving toward sunset and the line of pilgrims was long. As Sael waited in line he noted that there only a few of those in line seemed to have come from far away and the rest seem to be girt and geared for day-trips. Also, those who were lightly burdened seemed to pass through the gates with little more than a nod and a wave to the waiting guards, while those at the head of caravans or in coaches were often questioned at length.

After a time, the line moved and deposited Sael in front of the gate. There were four heavily armoured and heavily armed guards there. All of them appeared like grim, hard men, veterans of long nights and rough days. One of them, a tall and broad man with thick features and a thick jaw, one hand on the hilt of his sword stepped looked up at Sael approached. Upon seeing his monk's robes his demeanour changed and softened slightly.

"Good morrow, Master," He said in a deep and melodic voice that sounded odd coming from such a grizzled face, "I bid you welcome to Orlandaar. What is the nature of your business here, if I may ask?"

Spoiler
Show

Welcome to your prologue! Thank you for your patience during the initial process. I hope to move things along more quickly now that we're starting. As the other PC's are moving along quite quickly, most likely you'll get a quick scene here and then I'll bundle you up into one of the other PC's prologues, wash-rinse-repeat until we're all in the same place together.

Now. Couple of things:

1. Your reasons for being here (in Orlandaar, I mean) aren't etched in stone. There are any number of reasons why you could be here on official business and any number of other reasons why you could be here unofficially. Similarly, you can tell the guard whatever you like. If you want to talk this stuff over with me before we begin, please feel free to PM me.

2. 'Master' is a very formal mode of address for a monks. They can expect a certain level of guarded respect from just about anyone, but 'Sir' or 'Brother' is far more common, even from Jaad and Ranid. You call your teacher or your mentor or a well-respected sage 'Master.'

3. Have fun! I'm starting things vague and undefined on purpose, partly so we can have some freedom to move into the initial narrative organically, and partly so you can have some room to rattle around without me telling you what to do and how to act.