Quote Originally Posted by Bandil View Post
GRRR
how can you be good at this game? I can't even beat an easy computer
All the other things already said aside, here a few pieces of general advice:

- Always keep acting, and be quick. If it takes you 10 seconds at the game's start before you select your workers, send them off to gather resources and construct buildings, that's 10 seconds you are already behind your opponent - you cannot afford that.

- Make sure to get enough workers - 5 on the gold mine and (depending on exact circumstances) usually about 7 on lumber (4 ghouls for Undead). Keep building workers at the game's start until you have enough of them - don't have your main building stand still at any time before that!

- Micro your units - have the ranged units focus fire enemy units, pull back units that are being focused by the enemy, send severely wounded units back to your main base or heal them with spells like the Paladin's Holy Light or the Death Knight's Death Coil, and make sure units attack the units they are strong against.

- Do not get too many fortifications, if any - any resources you use for fortifications are resources not used for the army, so they weaken you in the field.

- Keep your resources spent - build units and new buildings, research upgrades, buy items - any resources sitting unspent are units missing in your army, potentially causing your downfall in battle. While lumber may amass at times, at least your gold should ideally never exceed 1000, and most of the time stay much closer to zero.

- Use your army - your army is an investment, so whenever you are not fighting the enemy, you should be using it to fight creeps, so you gain more experience and items. Strong heroes are essential. Just don't lose units to creeps, that's something that should never happen. With time you will be able to judge when you are able to fight creep camps of which power - always try to fight the strongest creeps you are capable of engaging safely without losses, so you gain experience and items the most efficiently.

- Get some build orders for the races you want to play, so you know how to get to the units you want the most efficiently. Watch replays of better players, to see how the game looks like when played well.

If you tell us which race you intend to play (and I would suggest you focus on learning one race well before moving on to the others), we could give much more specific advice.

Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post
I've been reading a lot of Terry Pratchett instead of working on my project, lately. He's fun.
He sure is.

Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post
Someone come play good ol' CfG 6.9 with me today? Pubbies aren't as much fun.
I'm always up for CfG, though whether the rest of the session attendées share that sentiment is not for me to say, obviously.