"I see. I fear that is quite a contrast to what most of Lookshy would think of the Lord of Thorns, as he styles himself. The General Staff has become convinced from past diplomatic dealings that any alliance or mutual non-aggression with him would be impossible." Zhou speaks frankly, discussing a number of failed diplomatic ventures. Knowing what you do of your master, you are not particularly surprised by any of them. "And yet, it is to our advantage to negotiate a peace. Tell me, ambassadors, what authority has been invested in you with regards to this meeting? While I cannot commence treaty negotiations myself, of course, I can arrange for a diplomatic summit between you and the suitable officials within the Liaison Directorate, if the Mask of Winters has given you leave to speak for him."

Elsewhere, Kohl expertly disposes of Nitei Gunzel of the Home Guard, breaking through skin and jugular and spine with one solid bite. Dressed in the uniform of the soldier whose corpse now lies limp in the gutters, he strides out into broad sunlight, his uniform and papers all in order. And across the city's walls, Mulberry follows her current mark past the gates of Lookshy's famed Aviary, changing back to her silkmoth shape as she flutters into a dock filled with magitech skyships, wonders unheard of throughout the rest of Creation. As she hovers in midair, the Dragon-Blood berates the crew of sorcerer-engineers maintaining the vessels, castigating them for their failures with something called the Skywolf.