View Single Post

Thread: The 3.5/Pathfinder Handbook

1. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder Question

Quote Originally Posted by Gnaeus View Post
    I disagree Tyndmyr. I will admit that for US an unearthed arcana style book might be better. But the biggest benefit of Pathfinder is that it allows new players to enter what is essentially the 3.5 market, since actual 3.5 books aren't being published or promoted. It keeps games in what is predominantly a 3.5 format in cons and gaming stores. It keeps D&D alive. (I personally do not regard 4.0 as D&D, or groups playing it as sharing my hobby).

For that, despite its many problems, I have to be a PF fan.
    Except a PF core book is not playable within a 3.5 game, thus it is not keeping 3.5 format alive. It is further splitting the 3.5 player base. If PF had just done a strict reprint plus all the added details that weren't open content (xp, wealth by level, character creation rules, etc), then I would have been a PF fan since I could have dropped a PF core book in my 3.5 game with little more than a ripple. As it is, not so much.

EDIT: As a comparison. Would anyone rationally claim that 3.5 helped keep 3e going strong? Or would most people agree that 3.5 was the last nail for 3e?
    Last edited by pres_man; 2010-02-03 at 11:27 AM.
    Definition of DMPC:
    1: a character that if it was run by a non-DM would be considered a PC; a special kind of Ally (see p. 104 of the 3.5 DMG)
    2: (derogatory) any character used by a DM that disrupts the game
    Need to replace those core 3.5 books, check out Gauric Myths.