Seth

Spoiler
Show
Approaching the wagon, Seth thought he could hear muted voices from within. Quietly ascending the wooden steps to its door, he grasped the handle – there was a clunk of metal as he tried to open it, some kind of latch preventing the door from opening.

The voices within went silent. There was a hint of urgent whispering from inside, followed by a wooden rattling noise – after a few seconds, rapid footsteps approached the door. A bolt drew back with a tinny metallic scrape, and the upper section of the door hinged inward, a short man in a grimy leather cap looking up at Seth. He blinked in surprise as he saw the squire’s face – it was the stooped little man who had approached him on their first night in Delberz, asking about the beasts on the road. The interior of the wagon behind him was incredibly gloomy – in the narrow field of view that Seth could see, he could not make out any other figure among the clutter that seemed to fill the claustrophobic wooden space, but it would be easy for a man to lurk out of sight in the blacker shadows, or simply to stand to one side of the door.

Seemingly recovering his composure, the man before him smiled an oily, insincere smile.
“Why it’s you, sir!” he said. “Thank you very much for the, ah, warning – I sent word to my niece right away. Can I... help you with something?”