Quote Originally Posted by Rev. George View Post
What do you do with an enemy prisoner which you cannot properly secure, let alone feed/house? Here's a hint- The "quarter" in the term "No Quarter" comes from the use of the word to refer to lodgings/accommodations. Such things happen all too often in the real world. A famous (real-life inspired) literary example is in the novel Company K- One of the stories deals with the company capturing over a dozen prisoners before being given orders to go on to another objective. There is no one to secure the prisoners, no ability to send 3 people to march them back to HQ, and they cannot leave them there, because they now know the next secret objective. So they execute the prisoners. Of course the book is pretty much a morality tale about the horror of war, so take that for what it is worth.

Getting beyond that-
I know DND has changed a bit, particularly recently, but at least in the olden days, Rangers were a "good only class"...even know, I believe you can still be a good aligned ranger. Rangers have a "racial enemy" or now a "favored enemy" a group of creatures that he/she has an unabiding passionate hate for. how does this mesh with the black and white morality that is sometimes brought up? Can you be a good racist/ species-ist? Must you treat any and all sentient life as equal? or can you be a good alignment by ensuring mercy and compassion for all humans? or elves, as the case may be...

-+G
i was under the impression favored enemy referred to a species archetype that you were adept at fighting. didn't neccesarily mean you hated them.