Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
Like many people, I dislike psionic flavor because I don't think it meshes very well with the fantasy settings I enjoy. It can be changed, but I'm definetly not a fan of the mechanic side of psionics either - I don't like per-day power points. I don't really get what you mean by "sheer emotion".
Actually, I think it goes back to choices made in the first iteration of D&D psionics, that continues to this day. Namely, the names.

In AD&D, starting fires with your mind is called "Molecular Agitation." Healing people was called "Cellular Adjustment." Seeing something at a distance was called "Clairvoyance." Seeing something before it happened was called "Precognition."

In Valdemar, a relatively standard-type fantasy setting, psionics is everywhere. It's called "Mind Magic". "Molecular Agitation" is called "Firestarting". "Cellular Adjustment" is called "Healing". "Clairvoyance" is called "Farseeing." "Precognition" is called "Foreseeing."

The names are a lot more fantasy in feeling, and fit in better with the usual pseudo-classical cosmologies of game worlds.