View Single Post

Thread: Psionic Bias?

1. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Psionic Bias?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    As far as crunch, I've played alongside every base Psionic class from 3.5 at least one time or another, and said Psionic class would always, ALWAYS be horrendously overpowered compared to the rest of the party. The absolute worst case scenario was one particular psion who I was temporarily controlling since the player had to leave early. All I needed was I think a 3rd-level power that was save-or-kill-yourself, and the DC could be augmented so high that nothing the DM had could hope to save against it, and the power could be used EVERY turn with maximum power points for an entire session without even coming close to running low. Meanwhile, both of our Arcane casters had 1, maybe 2 castings of 3rd level spells, neither of which were insta-kill, and the saves for said spells were low enough that enemies could make them if they rolled above a 14 or 15, so reasonable. The augmented Psion's DC couldn't be beat unless the DM rolled a nat 20 every time.

Now, with 4e, Psionics still look pretty powerful with all the extra at-wills, but so far less objectionable, and I actually look forward to playing a Battlemind or Monk.
    Firstly, it's a 4th-level power, and secondly, the situation you describe doesn't sound like anything that can happen while playing by the rules. Period. It costs four points to increase the save DC by 2, which is equivalent to manifesting a power two levels higher.

So what were your casters' 6th-level spells like? Or 8th level?

In all honesty, it sounds to me like someone made a mistake. Possibly worse considering how many power points this psion supposedly had.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2010-04-03 at 02:31 PM.