View Single Post

Thread: Kratos vs The Norse Pantheon

1. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Kratos vs The Norse Pantheon

I know next to nothing about the God of War games but I have been reading this thread and I see that Kratos kills the Moirae (the Greek Fates) in one of the games, and some people say this is an argument that he can similarly overcome Fate in the Norse pantheon. I disagree.

The Moirae--Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos, or "spinner," "apportioner" and "unturner"--literally represent the weaving or controlling of Fate, as their names clearly imply. That has a kind of human activity to it, and a human, even a goddess, can be killed, so I kind of get that even if it's silly.

Of the Norns however, a strong case can be made that they are Time itself and everything that happens within it. Urd, Verandi and Skuld are literally "that which happened," "that which is happening" and "what shall be," all forms of the "to be" verb, and the idea that there are three chief Norn goddesses weaving the past, present and future most likely was imported through contact with the Romans. (Or got combined in the traditions with the role of the Volva, the Norse wise-women.)

So if the theory holds that the Norns are almost purely conceptual, how on earth do you kill that? How do you kill Time? Aside from visiting this forum anyway. ;)
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2010-04-04 at 11:36 PM.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie