Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
I'd say not just technically. To me that's the point of having the category pansexual at all. Bisexuality is technically limited to men and women, while transsexuality includes all other types of gender as well.
I still reckon that either "bisexual" should be taken less literally or "pansexual" should be considered a more accurate replacement for it.
Personally I have the completely unfounded theory that most people thinking of themselves as such are biologically male, as women today are allowed to add as much masculinity to their appearance and behaviour as they want without anyone thinking they are freaks. Boy clothes, mens haircut, drinking beer with the guys watching football. Sure, that's okay. A woman can do that if she wants to.
But if made my hair into pigtails or wear a skirt...
I have a theory on this. "Masculinity" and its associated concepts tend to be considered more positive/worthy/valuable/desirable/etc than "femininity". So women acting like men may be lifting themselves up beyond their sex, while men acting like women are degrading themselves.
Another theory of mine that either complements or contradicts this one (not sure which) is about the "third genders" some peoples have. These, to the best of my knowledge, are nearly always men acting like women. My theory here is that, for similar reasons to the first one but more focussed on official hierarchy, it is okay for a man to choose to lower his social position, but it is not okay for a woman to attempt to advance beyond her proper place.
I know these are very flawed, and I'm curious to know what anyone else thinks of 'em.
I've never seen this term before, and I have to say I don't like it.
Sounds as if everyone who's not an ally is an enemy. (yeah, communications studies showing through again.) Which at least in this time is not the case. People who are not supportive should be seen as misguided or misinformed and be educated, not opposed. That's why I like the term "supporter" or something like that much more.
Only if you have "if you're not with us you're against us" on your mind, but I guess I see what you mean. But I like what they're doing at my uni, so *shrug*.