Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
If we prick you, do you not bleed? If we tickle you, do you not laugh? If we poison you, do you not die?
<3 Shakespeare. Nice reference.

I've always had mixed feelings about the entire integration/self-segregation concept. I mean, why do we have to trend towards extremes? Can't there both be a queer community AND a community in which one's sexuality is unimportant. I'm against any efforts to self-segregate, but on the other hand, I think a viable, and open queer community is necessary. As things stand now, there are hardly and societal images for young queer folk to see, and I think that it's important to have those figures, role models, etc....otherwise, the coming out process out be immensely more difficult.

I know that when I decided to come out, and figure out where I stood in the world, my participation in the queer community not only made it easier to get to know other gay people, but also to know, and become comfortable with, myself.

So maybe we do need a queer community. I think that's important (and, in a practical sense, it makes things like dating SO much easier).