Quote Originally Posted by SpikeFightwicky View Post
I'm much aware, which is where my issue/question came in. We're all familiar with the setting, but haven't played it before (though we liked the mechanics of LBS, which are very similar -> near identical? <- to L5R).
As far as I can tell, yes. Fourth Edition is pretty much going to be "Here is the system, here is how it works for the little particulars, yes, you can have your LBS transfer seamlessly into L5R from a mechanical viewpoint."

One is fond of Crab, one is fond of Scorpion and the other Crane. Not sure about the 4th player. I'm still not sure about whether they'd prefer bushido, shugenja or courtier, though.
Ouch.

Possibly the worst combination.

With your luck, the last one will be Lion.

Okay, some thoughts - if one of the others is willing to go for one of the other clans, go for it. Also, make sure that the other Clans are NOT at war, which is a little easily than not, as the Crane and the Scorpion tend to duel in the courts and the Crab tend to just ignore both of them and do things on the Wall. If the Crane goes Daidoji, you are in luck. Have the Crab player think of reasons to be away from the Wall, or think of reasons for the other PCs to be at the Wall.

And of course, don't forget all the other advice given already - maybe an NPC dear to all of them for some reason was murdered, maybe they are yoriki for an Emerald Magistrate, etc.