1. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: More flumphs than you can shake a flindbar at: Let's Read the Tome of Horrors!

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    The one time I used gas spores was as guards/decoys for a Beholder Mage. They can pack quite a punch if you cast death throes on them beforehand.
    That's...sadistically brilliant, actually.

Also, sorry this post was late, but I had a rather rough day. That'll teach me to try and make post schedules. I was going to have six creatures, as I noted before, but....I have no idea what the hell I should write for the next creature, the gryph. It's weird. Really weird.

----------------

Gorgimera
    Have you ever looked at a chimera and pondered "Hmm, that's not quite vicious enough...let's give it petrification breath!" No? Well, that's apparently what was going through the head of the creator of the gorgimera. This CR 8 monstrosity takes a chimera and replaces the goat head and back half with the armored hide of the bull-like gorgon of Dungeons and Dragons. Thus, you combine the bite of the lion, the breath weapon of the dragon, and the petrification breath of the gorgon into a single, horrifying entity that will cause your players to scream out to the heavens for mercy from their gods.

Gorgon, True
    For those of you who aren't keen on having the whole bull-monster thing in your Dungeons and Dragons as the representative of the name "gorgon", well...here are the real gorgons. Specifically, two Outsiders, the CR 20 Sthenno and the CR 22 Euryale. These wicked serpentine sisters may be on the low end of epic-level creatures, but they certainly shouldn't be underestimated; they both have fast healing, hefty damage reduction, darkvision at a range of 120 feet, immunities to transformation, sleep, stunning, and paralytic abilities, petrification gazes, spell resistance above 30 (slightly more for Euryale, adding to her Challenge Rating) and both claws and venomous snake-hair attacks. Oh, and they are immortal. That means that they cannot be killed by disintegration spells or death effects, aging, or massive damage attacks, so you'd better have a good plan to beat them up fast.

Gorilla-Bear
    You know what an owlbear is, so this shouldn't really surprise you. It's a creature with the body of a gorilla and the paws and head of a bear. Combining two strong creatures, one of whom has nasty claws and teeth, into a single monstrous beast. Creepily enough, in the fashion of many "rawr I eat you" monsters, gorilla-bears are noted to "savor the taste of goblins and elves". Eeeyugh....

Grippli
    The gripplis (no relation to Ripleys) are a baseline Level Adjustment +0 frog-people race. These amphibious humanoids live in tribes in the jungles and swamps lead by a tribe mother (listed as being usually either a 3rd-level Cleric or Adept), and are fond of fruit, insects, and shiny things...the last of which for decoration, not for food, obviously. they also trade with elves and halflings, presumably of the jungle racial variant. As for actual game rules, gripplis are a bit on the strong side for their listed LA, with three +2 ability score bonuses (to Dexterity, Intelligence, and Wisdom) opposed by only two -2 ability score penalties (Strength and Charisma), the ability to cross mud and other marshy hazards unimpeded, a +6 bonus to Hide checks in swamps and forests due to their coloration, and both land and climb speeds of 30 feet in spite of being size Small. Still, I love the gripplis more than...say...the bullywugs or tsathar (the latter of which we'll meet later in this book).

Groaning Spirit (Banshee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Horrors
    The groaning spirit is the malevolent spirit of a female elf that is found haunting swamps, fens, moors, and other desolate places. Groaning spirits hate the living and seek to destroy whomever they meet. A groaning spirit appears as a translucent image of her former self.
    And now you have seen all the fluff for the banshee, and all you really need to know. It's about as bog standard undead motivation as you can get, and while the elven note is novel, it's also rather confusing. Why are banshees always female elves? Explain, please, Tome of Horrors. The Monstrous Manual didn't really help me in this matter either, so...myeh.

The banshee also has the ability to sense all living creatures within a 5 mile radius, a chilling touch, a fear aura, and the ability to cast wail of the banshee to instakill you if you fail your save (this is a CR 7 monster, mind you!). The only fortunate point is that you get to have a little payback if you're a divine spellcaster; dispel evil works as a Will-save-or-instakill effect on banshees.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2010-05-01 at 01:27 AM.
    LGBTitP