Adena

Stepping off the curb, Adena walked across the street into the square a block from her shabby apartment. Her black and scarlet (dyed) hair was in her eyes, but she liked it that way. As she passed a curbside preacher, prattling on about the "rebirth" and the "coming of the gods," she muttered under her breath, "Funny, those guys are usually Christian."
She bought a breakfast sandwich and descended into the subway. There was another one of those polytheist evangelists down there, too. She put on some headphones to drown him out, but watched him until her train came. He certainly had some zeal, with the way he was gesticulating wildly. When the train arrived, Adena rose from her bench to board, but was stopped by the street-preacher. He said something, and then when she took off her headphones, he repeated it: "You! You're her! I've seen you--"
"That's great and all, but I've got a train to catch," Adena said. She shook his hand from her arm and got on board, leaving him standing alone in the station.
When she arrived at her destination, Adena took off her headphones and walked up the stairs to the park district. Her friends were there, waiting. She approached unnoticed, took out her lighter and offered a light to one of them who was struggling for a smoke. "Oh, you're here," he said, puffing on the newly-lit cig.
Adena snapped the lid of her lighter closed. "What are we burning this month?" she asked.
"We're going big, for this one," her friend responded.
"Oh? Where?" Adena asked.
The other arsonist replied, "Well, we found a mob safehouse. We're going to make it a lot less safe, so to speak."
"No," Adena said. "It's too dangerous. We decided before that we're only going to get small-time criminal targets. Once we get in with the mob, we're never coming out."
"Act small, stay small. Take grand steps, get grand results," the first one said, a hint of sarcasm on his tone.
"Grand doesn't have to be so risky. I'm starting to think you two are just in this for the pyromania," Adena muttered.
"Oh come on, Adena. You get more joy out of watching things burn than either of us, and you know that." Adena started to respond, but was cut off. "Now stop being such a damn chicken and come on. We've got a lot of kero to buy, and even more plans to go over. This place is pretty big."