View Single Post

Thread: 3rd Tier Paladin (PEACH)

1. - Top - End - #58
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 3rd Tier Paladin (PEACH)

So while this thread is active again, I'd like to take the opportunity to mention some stuff.

The auras all seem to have potency based on charisma as well as size based on charisma. I really think these abilities would sit a lot better with me if the aura size was simply based on class level. Like 5' per 2 class levels. Comparison: level 20 Paladin with 30 charisma under current system has a 55' aura. Level 20 paladin under level-only system has 100' aura. Scale down to 1/4th paladin level and you have 50' aura (if you really think 100' is too much). As you see, it's not a question of Charisma on both fronts being overpowered. Indeed, my fear is that games at a lower level of optimization or games with very low starting stats get much less out of the class.

Consider changing out some of the resurrection stuff with Revivy (Spell Compendium -- true resurrection on target who died within 1 round, target revived but stable at -1 hp). Perhaps with a change to "must have died within 1 round per paladin level."

Alternatively, you could simply add the relevant costly material components to the resurrection uses of lay on hands (25k in diamonds for true res, for instance).

Finally, I see a lot of free action stuff (Providence, the ally buff use of Aegis, probably some more) that could be made Immediate Actions. Did you play with that idea and find it too limiting to the Paladin? It seems like it'd make a more interesting dynamic than burning through everything he can do until he's out of daily juice.

---

As opposed to the Haitian in Heroes, this is a character with a whole bag of tricks to bring to the table and choose the tool for the task to shut down his opponents. I must say, if this could be portrayed well in fiction, it'd be most BA.
    Last edited by Pechvarry; 2010-06-19 at 04:39 PM.