1. - Top - End - #257
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: A Thread in Which Banter Most Random is Expulsed Into Existence, By Ravens_cry #1

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Even the adverts are designed around football, that moronic ten minute long MaccyD's for one, and lots of channels interrupt the adverts for an update on scoring.
    It's made me realise just how disillusioned I am with advertising. I mean, how can you even make the viewer think that your product is better unless your product is:
    a) a picture/video
    b) a sound
    c) both?

YOU CANNOT ADVERTISE PERFUME. Please, companies, stop trying. I don't need a man running down an empty street in black and white to persuade me to buy your perfume, I need it to smell nice. If I'm out to purchase some new perfume (which is admittedly unlikely) I'm not going to go into a shop and say "Oh hey, that's the perfume that had the great advertisment on TV! The one in black with the man who was topless and all the silk." I'm going to go into a shop and say "Oh hey, perfume! Let's smell them all and choose which one I like the smell of most (if it's within my price range)." Similarly, I'm not going to go to the shops and buy some food because the people having a barbecue on the advert looked like they were enjoying themselves, I'm going to buy it because I happen to like the particular food and I'm definitely not going to be phoning British Gas to change my electricity provider because their pseudo-people in that awful "drawn body, photographed head" animation style are playing goshdarned football. Yes, I know it's "thematic", but it has nothing to do with utilities. I'd be fine if they were advertising, say, a football school and they showed people playing football, but they are advertising FLAMMABLE GAS THAT GETS PIPED TO YOU SO YOU CAN EAT HOT FOOD AND STAY WARM.
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-06-20 at 12:44 PM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS