1. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5 ToB Discipline, PEACH] The Sounds of Battle

1. Shadow Blade is nothing akin to an upgraded Weapon Finesse.

2. As below.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewfro View Post
    Battle Maestro
    You have a rudimentary understanding of the rhythm that flows through each battle.
    Prerequisites: One Hammer Rhythm Stance
    Benefit: While in any Hammer Rhythm stance, for each attack you make, you gain a cumulative +1 morale bonus to melee attacks for one round starting on your next round.
    1) Get lots of attacks (16 BAB, TWF, flurry)
    2) Use Combat Rhythm option of Stormguard Warrior
    3) ???
    4) PROFIT

This doesn't actually even require you to hit, for one thing, and if you added all of that onto a reach-focused lock-down build you'd get even more pwnage. You could also use something like Rapid Shot and TWF (elaborated on below with Bloodstorm Blade capstone), since the feat does not stipulate the initial attacks must be melee attacks. To be even more cheesy, you can bag of rats Whirlwind Attack/Great Cleave, though I won't go there because no self-respecting DM allows such nonsense. Now that I'm on a roll, however, you could also use Blade Storm and Combat Rhythm to target your allies... you don't get any extra damage, but the +1 to hit next round is extra damage in its own right... and technically Blade Storm doesn't stipulate that you must attack creatures, so you could, in theory, target miscellaneous objects and squares within your reach. Add on Palm Throw (Master Thrower -- open for interpretation, one attack roll, but two attacks) for more shenanigans. Obviously I'm taking this a bit far, but I would hope it's fairly obvious at this point that the feat has a fair amount of abuse potential in conjunction with current material.

As far as adjustments go, I think the simplest thing might just be to offer a cap. No one here really appreciates Weapon Focus for what it does in terms of damage per round adjustment so if I were to suggest +1 I'd think most would call me crazy, but the simple fact is +1 is significant regardless of the level of play. This is boring, obviously, so you could add other effects that aren't quite as significant, like so:

First Attack: +1 to attack rolls
    Second Attack (or third): +1d6 sonic damage
    Third Attack (or fifth): Thundering enhancement (pretty useless, actually, could just do as a thunderstone)
    Fourth Attack (of seventh): +2d6 sonic damage

Alternatively, to borrow a leaf from Tome of Battle, you could have it scale with level (a la the Crusader's delayed damage pool), though as I mentioned, +1 has the same significance at all levels and such scaling doesn't exactly mesh with the linear doubling of power every two levels (as if it existed anyway).

Another option would be to make it per hit rather than per attack, though the Stormguard Warrior potential still exists there, unless you state it doesn't apply to touch attacks (which also limits wraithstrike abuse, not that it needs this to be a cut above anyway).

You could also make it so the combination of the morale bonus and your BAB cannot exceed your character level +1. This encourages minor multi-classing but still has a definitive cap that keep everyone more or less on the same playing field and favors the acquisition of BAB.
    Last edited by Jota; 2010-06-28 at 01:51 PM.