In my experience, gnomes are the least versatile. I mean that in a specific way.

I've only ever seen a handful of gnomes in game, and they were all light-hearted, curious, and overly-cheerful.

Though to be honest, standard D'n'D gnomes aren't that great to begin with. In terms of fluff, there is very little difference from dwarves...in terms of mechanics they're not too special either (not saying Overpowered or Underpowerd....just not special, most of their traits are replicated by drawves and the rest is some illusion bonuses). Ebberron kinda sorted this one out a little by giving them the "back-stabbing politician" and "gadget tinker" niche firmly, but thats still not alot. PF and 4th give them some fey-related fluff, but that doesn't change much either.

As much as I don't particularly like gnomes (not hating them either, I'm neutral), it annoys me though that it's likely alot of people don't like them because they aren't Tolken. Elves, Dwarves and Halflings are going to be in every edition of D'n'D because they're in lord of the rings.