Quote Originally Posted by Superglucose View Post
Part of the curiosity, at least for me, is that homosexuality seems to be an evolutionary disadvantage.
Not really. There are all sorts of advantages for the species to have individuals who don't reproduce. For example:

- Biological population control. Resources are limited, and it's better to have a smaller number of healthy individuals than a large amount of organisms you can't support.

- Childcare. There will always be orphans; individuals who can't have their own children can take care of children without parents. Additionally, they can provide aid to their siblings in raising their nieces and nephews.

- I recall one article I read which indicates that LGBT individuals may have been major contributors to the development of agriculture. Essentially, a man who is more effeminate (because he's gay, or because he's a she, or just because) and isn't interested in "manly" hunter/gatherer activities would be more likely to stay put and work on a farm. I can't remember all the details, but I'll see if I can dig up the article if anyone's interested.