1. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Optimize or Die, Playgrounders! [E6 Balor Challenge Thread]

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    I think this is much more theory and much less actual combats, no matter what's been said. This isn't the first challenge like this I've seen, and they rarely work out into actual fights to test the theories. Hopefully, this one is different, but eh, don't hold your breath.
    Malakar has already offered to run a fight against the winner. He's retracted that to Swordguy and any entries that use shameless loop exploits. For any other entry that may win I assume he will live up to his word.

COMPLETE LIST OF SUBMISSIONS

Note: If your submission is NOT on this list, or if it looks like I did not address an edit or update to your submission, LET ME KNOW before noon CST on Tuesday 7/27!

If I asked questions about your entry, LET ME KNOW before noon CST on Tuesday 7/27!

After that the winner will be announced and it will be too late to point out something I forgot :)

Starbuck II's Spellward Sniper + 3 Chumps
    awaiting team details

Lhurgyof's Humorously Named Four
    DEAD. Give details on equipment and tactics if this is a serious submission.

Dextercorvia's "Poor Man's Lucubration 9ths" plus "Krau Sigil Cleric/Wiz" plus two chumps
    Status: Pun-Pun's Ladder Good theoretical builds but definitely hits the ladder

aje8's Wraithstrike Nova plus 3 chumps
    Status: Pending; convince me you can survive several rounds and repeat your nova, plus survive the death throes.

Awa's Chump with Astral Bomb Skellies, plus three more chumps
    Points for Cleverness But the only member of your party still in combat with the Balor is a sad skeleton on the Astral Plane.

Lhurgyof's Diplomancer plus three chumps
    Status: Pending; Show me how high you can make your Diplomacy score and how this will allow you to decisively defeat the Balor.

Crazedloon's "Krau Sigil 9ths" plus four chumps
    Ninja'd; and Ladder'd Again, brilliant theoretical build, but it's on Pun-Pun's ladder

Swordguy's Fight Smarter Not Harder (four chumps with a sphere of Gygax)

Aethernox's Four Go In, Three Come Out

Awa's Revised Chumps with Skellies and Dust of Sneezing

Cespenar's Contract Killers (four Rog5/Assassin1's)
    Status: Pending; You're assuming you can get your Hide and Move Silently to +58. Show me the feats & gear. You also assume you can boost your Fort save DC high enough that he will reliably (i..e more than half the time) fail with his +22 modifier. Show me the feats & gear.

jseah's Abramelin and Three Chumps
    DEAD. You cannot get a scroll of a 4th level or higher spell, as per the original post. Feel free to tweak and resubmit.
    Answer to jseah's question: the spell Gate is not itself banned, but scrolls of it are. If you can find a way to get a 9th level spell using the contest rules without resorting to Pun-Pun's Ladder, then you are golden. Hint: other contestants have found ways of getting 9th level spells.

Biffoniacus_Furious' "That's Not Tinkerbell!" plus three chumps

Tyndmyr's If You Like It Then You Shoulda Put an Orb on It

Gaurd_Juris' The Saintly Order of Who Took My Vorpal Sword?

Adumbration's Judge, Jury, and Executioner Plus One

Ingus' Bye-Bye Balor
    Status: DEAD; Brilliant use of items but your plan ends with banishing the Balor which was specified earlier as not counting as a victory.[/I]

The Shadowmind's Skeleton Crew
    Status: DEAD; Operating war machines requires a trained-only Profession (Siege Engineer) check as per the DMG, which default MM skeletons cannot make. You didn't offer a party to show how your necromancer could correct this. Basically 4 chumps walk proudly up to the Balor with 10,000 skeletons and 2500 siege weapons; two rounds later the Balor is on his cell phone asking his demon friends if they have any use for a skeleton army lead by 4 zombies with a look of shock and surprise frozen on their faces.

monkey3's I-Team and the Van
    Status: Pending; How does your Necron have Animate Dead to get the bullette? Remember scrolls are not available.

Lhurgyof's "It Worked for Arneson"
    Status: DEAD; I love this submission but sadly I think the Balor would have them all dead before realising how cool the game is. So really the Balor is the one who misses out, but still.

Eronai_Jantig's Fistful of Rays

JeminiZero's "Guardian of Wings"
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-07-26 at 11:44 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law