View Single Post

Thread: 3.5 Monster: Birthday cake golem

1. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: 3.5 Monster: Birthday cake golem

there's a copy/paste error from Mimic in the "sticky" entry as well.

also, I'd like to see a larger progression, you know, for really special birthdays... like a lich-king's 1000th or something. 32 hit-dice legendary cakey goodness.

I dunno about the "spurt" ability. I can't say I've ever seen a liquid-centered cake before. a pie, certainly, but not a cake. perhaps replace that with engulf, so that those stuck to the golem or "eating" it because of its tasty ability are in actual danger.

additionally on the spurt ability, instead of dealing dex damage, what about entangling instead? that would make a little more sense, and work well with engulf. I can understand getting splattered with icing becoming a sticky mess, but I would also think thats why you don't cut cakes with baseball bats. switch it from slashing/piercing to bludgeoning, I'd say, and you could leave it in.

what about cake variants? like an icecream cake golem? 1d6 additional cold damage on successful slams, fire vulnerability, cold absorbtion, opponents grappled or "eating" the golem take additional cold damage, potential for brain-freezes (treat it like the slow spell or sickened status).

I think there should be additional powers for the candles at higher hit dice. perhaps a fire attack, like scorching ray, or produce flame. it would, of course, lose these abilities if it's candles were stifled, making extinguishing them a sub-objective of the fight and helpful, if not crucial, to victory. perhaps these abilities would come at a cost to the icecream cake golem variant in the form of -1 Charisma damage per use, or a few hp per use...

just some ideas I'd thought I'd throw out. I love the initial idea, and I've wanted to experiment with something like this ever since I saw the lil' adventure with the Calzone Golem on WotC's site... I actually wanted to run an encounter with a cake golem for a friend's birthday, and stumbled on this via google. thanks, ka bna.
    Last edited by Phistandantilus; 2010-08-04 at 05:39 PM.