Quote Originally Posted by fusilier View Post
I agree, supply of brass cartridges would be a serious problem. They were very expensive, and there was little industry set up to make them.

I'm not so sure that the sten gun would be that easy to manufacture. Stamped metal and welding facilities could be found in the 1940s in bicycle shops. Stamping presses certainly existed in the 1860s, but I don't know how widespread they were. However, the only welding available in the 1860s was forge welding, and I don't know how suitable that would be for stamped parts.
I think introducing the Sten would be difficult, as you'd run right smack into doctrine, theory and tradition. The Henry was a tough sell form those reasons.

I think an early breechloader, like the Chassepot or Dreyse or even the Martini-Henry, which are only about 10 years in the future, and some of which can use paper cartridges would be an easier upgrade, would prove better over the existing muzzle loaders, but would fill the role generals expected of a rifle, as opposed to the new, undeveloped role of SMG.