Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin Academy: A Playground Inspired Story

Paladin Academy: Part 34
    -Cast-
    Mangosta
    Kurama

Spoiler
    Show
    Kurama watched the Demon King in front of him. His mind working furiously to figure out a way past him. He looked over behind him at the form of Viola, before turning to look back at Mangosta. He then makes a dash straight for the Demon King.

Mangosta grinned an entertained grin and swung his arm down at Kurama. Kurama quickly jumped back just as the hand crashed into the floor, kicking up a lot of dust. Kurama then tried to run around the Mangosta. However, Mangosta was already right on top of him, reaching for him with his other hand.

Kurama slid down onto his back to avoid the large claw like hand reaching for him. He rolled to his feet and managed to get past Mangosta. His victory was short lived as the great form of Mangosta flew over and landed right in front of him. In an instant, the foot of Mangosta kicked him 25 feet away, having him sliding into a pillar.

He took a moment to regain his breath, before he got to his feet again. He saw Mangosta approach him slowly and deliberately.
    "You paladins think its so easy to get around someone that's almost three times bigger than you. Viola tried to slip past when I cornered her. Heck, even Grim tried it and failed when he was "Showing off" his new crystal's power. You're actually really disappointing me. Disappointing me so much that I may forget about keeping you as a pet as well."
    Mangosta was nearly upon him. Kurama looked down at the stone chair behind the Demon King. He knew the demon was right, that he would never get past him by trying to slip by. Then an idea formed in Kurama's head.

Kurama gripped his sword tightly, feeling an intense cold form over it. He then charged forward, as if to slip between the Demon King's legs. Mangosta practically made a sigh as he took a step back and threw his hand to intercept Kurama. Ready, Kurama then darted aside as the hand smashed into the ground. However, instead of trying to slip past the Demon King again, he instead dove over to the hand. He stabbed his sword into the Demon King's hand at point. Just like with the other demon's, the ice made enough of a slice to allow the rest of the sword to slide inside.

Kurama then pressed his free hand down onto Mangosta's hand and concentrated as hard as he can. He felt the cold flow out from his hand and sword, freezing the hand of the Demon King. He barred his teeth with effort but felt the progress he was making as the ice was spreading up the Demon King's arm.

Then, the Demon King seemed to be aware of what was happening as he suddenly jerked his arm up. Caught by surprise, Kurama just managed to hold onto his sword, still nestled into the hand of the Demon King. With and almighty heave, he pushed off with his feet and dislodged the sword from the froze solid hand. He fell 5 feet to the ground onto his back and slowly got up to look at what he had done.

Mangosta was looking at his arm, frozen all the way to the elbow. The look on his face was no longer amusement, but mild surprise. Cold hard calculated thinking soon replaced this emotion on his face as the Demon King tried to scrape off the ice with his other hand. Kurama smiled as he got to his feet.
    "I wouldn't do that if I were you. The other demon's I fought had the frozen limbs break off completely when they tried to get the ice off."

Mangosta stopped scratching at the ice and looked down at Kurama, calculating.
    "Really? Well that changes everything. Thanks for letting me know."
    Suddenly, the Demon king swung his frozen arm into a pillar with an almighty force. The arm shattered into a million pieces that scattered across the floor. Kurama stared, dumbstruck at what the Demon King did to his own arm. Then his surprise increases as skin, flesh, bone, and a black blood suddenly flowed out from where his arm cut off. Quickly, these things formed a brand new arm, exactly as it was before Kurama had frozen it. Mangosta flexed this arm testing it, before turning back to him.
    "Nice, isn't it? The fiery crown above my head grants me fast regenerative powers. So fixing my frost bitten hand was no problem."

Kurama twitched with shock. What was he going to do now? His eyes looked up at the fiery crown floating between the Demon King's horns. If he removed the crown, could he possibly take down the Demon King that way? Only way to find out is try. He took a stance, ready for the Demon King.
    "Come on then. Lets get this fight going."

Mangosta raised an eyebrow.
    "You sound confident. Oh well, fine by me."
    He charged forward.

Kurama turned and ran, his hand gripped tightly over his sword. He could feel the Demon King catching up to him as he ran. He waited for him to come close enough before he suddenly turned and leapt forward toward Mangosta. He swung his sword at Mangosta's right leg, causing a small wound before it sealed up quickly. Mangosta however flinched, allowing Kurama to jump around him and planting his sword into Mangosta's wing, freezing it. The sudden amount of weight caused the Demon King lose his balance and fall over onto his back. As the Demon King quickly tried to get back up, Kurama leapt up onto Mangosta's head. Using his curved horns as support, he raised his sword high into the air.
    "It's time to even out the fight!"
    He swung the sword down as hard as he could into the crown of fire and... it just passed right through it, hitting one of the horns as it did so. Kurama just froze in place, looking stupidly at the fiery crown just floating there in front of him. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw one of Mangosta's claw-like hands raise up to him. With a flick of the index, Kurama was launched off the head of the Demon King and flew across the floor before skidding to a halt once again.

The Demon King got up and turned to face Kurama, who was looking back at him exasperated.
    "Seriously... that was your best shot?"
    The Demon King then struck his frozen wing, shattering it like his arm. Quickly, it too also regrew back.
    "The Demon King's crown can not be removed except by the wearer. A King is not allowed to go into battle to fight along side his minions. Such a manner is considered highly improper. When a king tires of his reign, he presents it to another Demon to take over and start a new reign. This is usually done before a great battle, so the retired King may fight to his hearts content and die honorably on the battlefield."
    Mangosta slowly approaches him. Kurama slumps his shoulders and looks down at his feet. Nothing he can do can stop the Demon King. He had failed. Mangosta stands right over him.
    "Well then, I think this little game is over."
    Kurama thought about Mordokai and everyone back at the academy. All preparing for the demon invasion they could not win against.
    "You know, I actually quite enjoyed that. Being King, its kind of hard to restrain yourself from fighting. But you did me a favor on allowing me to remember the good times."
    All the innocent lives. How everyone was going to die. He had failed them all.
    "Now then, I think I'm just going to kill you here. Now that I think about it, one pet should do."
    Mangosta raised his hand up in the air, poised to strike. Kurama however looked over to Viola when Mangosta talked about her. He failed her as well. Failed to free her from the Demon King. She was going to spend the rest of her life down here in this realm, constantly thinking about being the last human alive...

Kurama's heart beat once. Then the hand of Mangosta swung down with an all crushing force on top of Kurama.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-26 at 12:56 AM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28