Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
Show

Quote Originally Posted by Maria
Rafale, this robbery... there’s only one person who can be behind it. So stupid of me, to underestimate him... he knew, he knew what I was expecting. A mailed fist, not a... a thief in the night.”
He holds her tighter.

Opening her eyes, she looked up at Raffy.

There are things I couldn’t tell you when you first came here. Things I still can’t. The Lector would use them to burn us out, to bring us all down. You have to believe me – the cause of all this, the single greatest threat to Delberz, is that man.
"I know," he breathes.

She moved her hand to his arm.

“I’m not talking about politics, or philosophy. I’m talking about the murders. About the Cathedral. The thief – it means his Templar means to destroy me.”
She hesitated, watching Raffy’s expression.

He simply held her gaze with his own, not a trace of doubt or scorn in it.

I have to leave this house. Please believe me. I have to hide, and when I do, you have to be gone. They can never know you were here.... I’ll find you. Once it’s safe. I know it’s so much to ask – but I need you to believe me, just once. I need your trust.
He nodded a calm, reassuring nod. For a moment his eyes turned back to the fireplace, leaving her own searching eyes in the privacy of the dark room.

And then he turned back to her and kissed her, a long kiss that pushed her back somewhat in the chair. The passion and urgency of any young lover was amplified by the great danger they were in...

((So yeah, cue mushy stuff, with or without rose-blossom goosebump massage.))