1. - Top - End - #441
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: More flumphs than you can shake a flindbar at: Let's Read the Tome of Horrors!

Wow, I didn't expect an off-hand joke about the strange idiosyncrasies of non-binominal nomenclature animal naming to spark this much discussion.

TheMeMan: Yes, I know the difference between the moose/elk and the elk/wapiti, as well as between those and Megaloceros/Irish elk. I am a woman of many talents; while biology is one of those, wording is not. Sorry if it sounded like I was stating the elk and moose were the same creature.

Terraoblivion: There are a surprising number of animal-only templates. And hey, at least they're in a brief appendix, rather than taking up hefty amounts of space.

The Dark Fiddler: Give the halfling a blowpipe while you're at it, just to go all-out.

-------------------------

Skunk
    Skunks are most well-known for their odious musk, which is of course a special quality here. In spite of said musk, however, skunks are one of the weakest creatures in the book at a measly CR 1/8.

Tiger Barb, Giant
    ...Really? For those that don't know, tiger barbs are popular aquarium stock fish with striped patterning (hence the name) that are in the same family as carp and "true minnows". While they are known for being rather nippy and forming little gangs to harass other tank fish, inflating one from 2 inches long to a 15-foot long CR 2 Animal doesn't make me feel intimidated. If anything, they've just given stats for a very weak shark, since I doubt I'd ever try to tell players they are being assaulted by a giant minnow with a straight face.

Turtle, Giant Snapping
    This, on the other hand, I could see being frightening. Snapping turtles are rather unpleasant to be around, and the idea of one that is 40 feet is frightening. You could probably use these for a swamp version of the "island that isn't an island" trope, or have the giant snapping turtle as a legendary lake monster a la the Beast of 'Busco (look it up if you aren't familiar with it).

-------------------------

And with that, the Animals appendix is done! Next time, we start on the demons and devils so we can finally finish up this tome.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2010-09-27 at 02:26 AM.
    LGBTitP