Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
I think it's only in Touhou, but tsukumogami come from objects that have been forgotten for 100 years, right? (...In Touhou. Wikipedia seems to suggest this isn't so in tradition.) So maybe you have a character who can find tsukumogami, and one of the common places to find them is in the forest, where people lose things. And for some reason he has to figure out why they were lost or reunite them with their old owners' families, which means flashbacks so you get to do both modern and period stuff. Perhaps a friend is a forest spirit who helps him investigate those old events.

(This is all drawing heavily on having seen ten minutes of Natsume Yuujincou, mind. It may be too similar for your tastes.)
It is an interesting idea. But maybe more of 'plot' than 'setting' I think

Quote Originally Posted by Associate View Post
Hmmm... Gensokyo, starting in the human village?
I like the magic system in Prime's second link, but the rest probably doesn't fit as well with what you want. The domen-human cosmology might be worth a look, though.

By 'shapeshift object characters', do you mean characters turning into objects, like, say, human to car, or elf to sword?
Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
I think she might mean more the type of "car to human" and "sword to elf", if one of her current characters is anything to go by.

If I want to make Touhou comic, it is very easy. But I want to make 'self' comic I think.

To be more like Frozen_Feet's explanation, but I did not think of opposite example. Maybe it is interesting idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
http://bleachitp-reborn.wikidot.com/characters:erima

EDIT: What about a group of lycanthropes in Eberron during the purge?
Sorry I don't understand this example very well.