I liked it I have a soft spot for straight out heroics like that. And I like paladins too.

Quote Originally Posted by Machuchang View Post
Then, with a loud crack, why shield was shattered into splinters and his sword was embedded deep into my left arm.
Typo?

Quote Originally Posted by Machuchang View Post
I screamed in agony, only to be cut short by the flat of his other blade as he brought it full-force into my face. My head hit the ground, and as I laid there, stunned and prone, he slowly twirled his blades once more, preparing for the coup de grace. I closed my eyes, and heard the whoosh of the air as he brought his blades downward.

Keen!

Blinking, I opened my eyes to see why I was not yet dead.
I will admit, this bit - namely the 'keen' doesn't really make sense to me. Perhaps because the first thing it makes me think of is the idea of making a weapon keen to deal extra damage. But I'm not sure what you're trying to signify with it. The sound the blades made moving through the air? The fact that all Varen could think about was that the blades were keen and going to kill him? The writing is good, but I am not sure this was quite the right descriptive word to use here.