View Single Post

Thread: Low Magic Setting Advice

1. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Low Magic Setting Advice

I'm pretty sure Gandalf is a multi-classed Fighter/Wizard. That's why I'd say to allow full casters, but make them need to multiclass with a mundane class, giving the XP penalties if they don't keep the levels even.

Also, no item-creation. Maybe make it a higher level feat or ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Silver View Post
    1. I can roleplay equally well as a fighter or a wizard or any class. The difference between the two is that the latter can actually do useful things other than full attack and fail at skill checks. If you can use roleplaying to increase the effectiveness of a fighter, then you can do the same for the wizard.

2. Now we're getting into the "skilled DM" argument. A skilled DM can make anything good, no question about that. The problem is that even a skilled DM has a hard time guesstimating what is or isn't an appropriate encounter. You're talking about the hypothetical perfect DM, while I'm talking about a more realistic one who is not without his flaws.

3. No healing means it takes longer to get things done. While the lack of easy healing might make for a compelling story, it makes for a lousy game. Roleplaying being incapacitated in the hospital/temple/healing place is not particularly exciting.
    1. Perhaps he could give out skill tricks and make certain tactical feats free?

2. Thats why you can just fight NPCs, orcs with class levels, etc. To match the party.

3. Indeed, perhaps look into some of the infusions in Masters of the Wild? Their fluff is more magic-free, and make them healing. (Minor healing in battle, and make some that give you x2 HP healed over night?)
    Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2010-10-08 at 07:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...