View Single Post

Thread: Successful horror session

1. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Successful horror session

Some info:

Spoiler
    Show
    The party rested in the room #3 after disabling the stone golem. Since all rooms were safe, except for the content I was expecting this to happen. On the other hand most rooms that allowed spells being cast could have been solved with a single spell, maybe two. #1 with hide from undead + detect undead. Room #3 with an illusion of an exactly the same room. (Major image) I award extra xp for intelligent solutions, this time my players offered none.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but to be on the safe side... V has a relic item that brings her back to life whenever she dies and it was the thing that made the hydra not attack them on sight. They came to the temple to collect the third piece of the set. They have the 2nd piece, they lost the 1st one they got...

Room #6:

Spoiler
    Show
    Me: 'The party appears in an all white room. You were all teleported simultaneously. Room only has six levers, no door, no nothin'. Levers are fashioned as dragon heads. The colors match the colors of hydra's heads. You hear 30, in all languages you understand.*roll 5d20* C and V you hear slow mechanical sound of gears turning and notice spikes coming out of the ceiling.'
    V: 'I cast telepathic bond.'
    C: 'Ok, I pull the lever.'

I was surprised, I expected them at least to hear 29, but sure...
    Me: 'Ok, everybody sees one more C pop into the room, C and V you notice the spikes went back inside the ceiling, you hear 30 again, roll initiative. C you roll twice.'
    C, V, L, C, M, J.
    Me: 'C you see yourself holding the lever and staring at you. What do you do?'
    C: 'I ready action - if he comes close to me I attack him. Also I say: 'WTF?' '
    Me: 'Ok, V?'
    V: 'I cast arcane sight, what auras do I see?'
    Me: ‘You see the whole room is magical, everyone is radiating conjuration magic.’
    V: ’What about two Cs?’
    Me: ’Strong conjuration.’
    V: ’I focus on the one that didn’t pull the lever.’
    Me: ‘Teleportation magic of some kind, L you?’
    L: ’Stanced and waiting.’
    Me: ‘C your turn.’
    C is a bit shocked, not too much. C: 'I ready action so that if he comes too close I attack him. Also I take a 5ft step back and just look shocked.'
    Me: 'M?'
    M: 'Delay I don't know which one is the real one.'
    J also delayed.

Me: '29, now all of you see the spikes slowly descending. C?'
    C: 'I charge the impostor! I want to knock him down.' *rolls and misses*
    V: 'I focus on the other C'
    Me: *roll* 'A combination of two conjuration spells, one is teleport, the other one you can't name. Some sort of creation.'
    V: 'Ok, I send a telepathic message C, that can hear me, raise your hand.'
    C that charged raises his hand.
    V all happy that she figured it out ended her turn.
    L: 'I pull a lever.'
    Another L appeared close to the spot where C appeared.
    C2 attacked C1 and missed, M delayed, J cast Celestial Aspect (BoED) to gain the ability to dismiss summoned creatures after a successful headbutt.

Me: '30'
    C1 tried to push C2 onto J and failed, V delayed, L1 was in position to do nothing levers blocked his path, so he just ran towards the rumble.
    Me: 'Ok, what does L2 do?'
    L: 'I charge, since I do have a clear path.'
    Me: 'Ok, who do you charge?'
    L: 'C1.'
    Rest of the party: 'But he is the real one!'
    L: 'Yeah, believe all you pointy hats say, right, I charge C1.'
    Me: 'Ok, C2 has AoO' *he rolls and hits, and rolls decent damage* 'You hear a metal sound as the katana goes through the flesh and hits the bone.'
    L rolls to hit C1 misses.
    Me: 'Ok, due to shock you miss C1, you feel really weird seeing the metal shin through blood.'
    M delayed, J headbutted L2 and dismissed him.

Me: '29, your only problem is two Cs and the spikes that are coming down.'
    C1 attacks C2 and missed. *note C has AC>45 at ninja 13 and saint, L has highest attack ~25* L attacked C2 and also missed, same thing with C2 vs C1. M and V delayed. J decided to roll a 20 to hit and dismiss C2.

Me: '28, the spikes are slowly coming down.'
    They made a few good deductions:
    1) Clones don't have their buffs.
    2) With the exception of M they are all ether good or lawful, so they wouldn't risk hurting the party if they thought there might be a chance they will not end up dismissed.

They made a plan as follows:
    Every body, except V and J break the telepathic bond and start pulling levers. Then, while they don't know who is the fake one they grab the horns and the fake one is dismissed. It took them ~ 30 minutes to make the plan, but it was a good plan.

Counter was reset and both C and L did their part without error. Now our dear old Chaotic Neutral M. The Ms first both tried to dodge the horn as they touch it. The clone rolled 1 and touched the horn, the real one didn't. 2nd time both didn't touch it. now they did this while grappled by C and L.

Now J's turn came, she cast the spell on both C and L, to be on the safe side... Again nothing. Now all six should be pulled. All except V will be pulling. V is a controller since she can see who is the real thing. L and C dismiss the horns and now they have 8 clones and 5 real ones. Extra clones are all J's. Again the only thing that happened was that the counter was reset.

V: 'Ok, it has to be me that pulls the lever.'
    She just pulled the nearest lever. That's when I smiled and the players thought 'C*** he's smilng.'

Me: 'V you didn't dismiss the arcane sight right? Give me you spell list for a sec. Roll two initiatives, everybody else roll initiative. The clone's was 35, V's was ~8'
    Me: 'Ok, my move. V casts mass suggestion and points the finger at V:'She is the impostor! Kill her!' *4d20 for a will save, decent DC too. L - 30+, C - 25+, J - 30+, M - 15* Only M failed, what's your initiative?'
    M: '10'
    Nobody knew which is the fake one, so they chilled, until M.
    M: 'Well, ok, aghm, sorry, but I have to do this, I cast disintegrate.'
    Me: 'Touch AC, attack bonus?'
    V: '15'
    M: '14'
    Me: 'Ok, roll it.' *rolls* A cheer, screams and happy laughter. The bastard rolled a nat 1, and to top it of it wasn't even a critical fail, he saved on the fumble roll!
    V touched the horn and remained in the room as a move action. As a standard one she cast Greater dispel and she did it, she rolled both the DC and the Dispel check. *Now as I'm typing this I realize how much dumb luck they had. C, V and J since I know you will read this I'm gonna make a shot at killing you this weekend, and you better be prepared. I apologize to you, other readers, I'm just scaring my players.* They tried every possible combination of lever pulling. Every one failed. Then M asked V to cast Spider's Climb on him, he went up the wall and touched the illusory spikes. Counter hit 0 and then a humble wooden chest appeared in the middle of the room. No lock, no trap, nothing, just a wooden box.

The ending of this room will be written after sunday. Since I don't know what happens now...

EDIT: I accidentally pressed 'POST' instead of "PREVIEW". Idiot...
    Last edited by Kaww; 2010-11-04 at 01:07 PM.