View Single Post

Thread: Tooth and Tentacle [base class PEACH]

1. - Top - End - #456
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Tooth and Tentacle [3.5 base class PEACH]

Regarding my experience last session:
    Overall the class worked very well.
    There was a bit of confusion between me and the GM as to exactly how the devouring worked, but it got cleared up as quickly as any grapple discussion can be expected to.
    If you're in normal combat or fighting constructs/undead, the Enchanted X augments are your best friend; they can give you an extra d6 damage per enhancement bonus you're willing to turn in of elemental damage, and if you know what you'll be fighting beforehand the ability to make your own Bane weapons is invaluable.
    You'll want to have several basic forms sketched out ahead of time, to avoid having to hold up the game with a lot of math or forget about a key ability in play, but at the same time you should keep some flexibility since the situation is never as simple as the hypotheticals you went over beforehand.

Balance-wise I'll confirm that it's a solid tier 3. The other party members are a Crusader and a Swordsage, and we were all pretty much equal in capability, making for a very fun and balanced game. We each had chances to shine, and worked well together (after a few Bluff checks at the excessively LG Crusader).

One neat trick I discovered: out of combat, a bag of tricks functions as a cheap reliable source of healing from the devouring of small fuzzy animals; a grey bag costs 900gp and gives you 10 animals/week, each of which probably has Con 10 (15 for the badger), meaning that at 2 con/round of devouring (I'm currently 9th level) they'll last 5 (or 8) rounds each, and for each round you heal your Cha bonus in HP (up to 50 or 80 HP total if you max your charisma). It's like having a sack of slow-acting fuzzy healing potions that refills itself weekly, and makes surviving a dungeon or a war zone a lot easier on yourself and the party healer (if you have one-we don't). Of course once you get regenerating Flesh augments this becomes largely irrelevant, but at low-mid levels it's a life saver.

Also, for rapid/stealthy assaults you can effectively become a carrier ship for PCs; if you swallow them whole and then max out your movement rate while keeping at least one mouth large enough to accommodate your largest party member (or use Strange Movement if you don't need to go far but there are pesky obstacles like walls in the way), then you can move in as a single medium creature and then release a full party of armed comrades. The only disadvantage is that you can't swap features around to a combat configuration directly unless you're 10th level+, and even after that it's a slow process. Either keep a few combat features at the cost of speed and stealth, learn to fight like a normal person, or resign yourself to fighting second string to the people you carried in.
    Or alternatively, become a mobile fortress by putting out a lot of Eye features for the AC and Ref bonuses, swallowing your party, and then either wading through a bundle of enemies or swallowing them and allowing the party to shred the suddenly outnumbered and disoriented opponent.
    Either way, it might be hard to convince your party members to let you eat them, but that's what Bluff is for.
    Last edited by Sindri; 2010-12-06 at 05:16 AM.