Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
I just had a 400-year old Captain, one of the most powerful of them in Soul Society, fully-chant a levle 60 Kido, only to see it shrugged off like he'd thrown paper-mache at Genny.

This isn't about "bad tactical options" or anything, it's about feeling that I might as well not bother, because clearly my character is no longer important.

Theoretically, my goal would be "hit her with a couple different bindings long enough that Michiko can take a swipe, and I can do a shunpo-by slice as well".

Note that the other Captain on the scene specifically requested he stay back a bit, and since it was the Captain of the 11th, one who's not an ignorant meathead when it comes to tactics, he listened.

The problem is, I know we won't be allowed to do more than, at best, moderately injure Genny. So I'm already going in knowing I shouldn't actually crank Masaru up to full blast, because then the fiat will be strong enough he'll look like a stupid chump.
While I understand where you're coming from, I think Masaru still has a lot to contribute to this fight. Bear in mind that Genoveva's defense IS kinda made of tissue paper - the moment she gets stopped, it's over. She's not in a very different place than Soushi would be (to establish a direct correlation to a character I understand better, since so far I haven't seen a "serious" Genny). Or Kazuma, for that matter (though he'd go a little further on stubborness alone).

This may not qualify as the strongest effort on Masaru's part, but nor is it half-assed. Clearly there is a middle ground between where he is now and going Bankai.

Which, as a side note, might require his fellows to coordinate their attacks better with Masaru's. He's the head of the tactical division; therefore, people should fear his brains more than they fear his personal power. Brute forcing it clearly did not work. So where do you go from there?