New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Tainted humans, orcs, and elves(3.5 races) PEACH

This is some homebrew I made for my campaign world for 3.5 that I never bothered to share with you fine folks of GITP, the Tainted human,orc, and elf! This was designed in a world that suffered a demonic invasion, but you can fit it in with a bit of fluff editing, all you need is some form of supernatural invasion in your world's history. You may need to edit their appearance and powers, but still!

Tainted human

Even after the demons left the material plane, their vile magic remained in the air, soon, some humans felt the demonic magic slowly twist them, their children, and their children's children. Tainted humans eventually became a sub breed of human. They stand tall, usually just about as tall as a half-orc. They weigh about the same as a half-orc as well, they can live to about 150 years, not as long as an elf but certainly longer then a human. Their skin can vary, but is always a bit red, with their eyes always showing a fiendish taint. Hair can vary widely, but all tainted humans carry a common trait: all of them have some form of scar, sometimes a symbol of a devil or demon lord, sometimes a simple scar, but always blood-red. It usually appears on the head, but it can appear anywhere. They are usually lawful or chaotic, rarely are they true neutral.

Tainted Human racial traits
    +2 charisma,+2 wisdom, -2 Strength: tainted humans have a strong force of personality and a dark sense of the world around them, but the dark corruption of their ancestors has left them weakened.
    Medium:As medium creatures, tainted humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Tainted human base speed is 30 feet.
    Darkvision out to 50 feet.
    Resistance to fire 10.
    Spell resistance 11+class levels. This SR only works against spells cast against the tainted human's will.
    +4 to diplomacy checks with outsiders.
    Spell-like abilities: Good tainted humans can cast Protection from evil 1/day, while evil tainted humans can cast Protection from good. Caster level equals 1/2 the tainted humans class levels
    Automatic languages: Common, and Abyssal. Bonus languages: Any (Except secret languages). Tainted humans mingle with many a soul.
    Favored class: Any. Just like humans, tainted humans have no favorites.
    Level adjustment +1

Write ups for the other 2 coming soon!

Any grammer, spelling, or other errors please note!
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2009-11-26 at 04:59 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Tainted humans, orcs, and elves(3.5 races) PEACH

Only spell resistance 10? And Darkvision to forty feet? That's kind of random. I'd change the Darkvision to be sixty feet, and make the spell resistance scale.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2009-11-20 at 06:56 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Isn't that OP'd for LA +1?
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
    Isn't that OP'd for LA +1?
    What's overpowered about it? It's got slightly cheesy ability modifiers and a decent but not amazing 1st level SLA 1/day. The SR is the big ticket and a flat SR of 10 is pretty solid at low levels but rapidly becomes almost obsolete. If anything it's a bit underpowered.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, will fix that.

I plan on writing up the orc on Saturday and the elf sunday, if nothing gets in my way.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Generally racial spell resistance works on 11 + character level too.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

It's not worth an LA of one as it stands... I'd always take an actual human over this, because bonus feats are just so good... the SR isn't really good when you consider this is a caster class (or seems to be, with a +cha modifier) so it can't buff itself in combat without risking failure.
    Last edited by Milskidasith; 2009-11-20 at 09:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I added a few neat tricks, like fire resistance, and changed the SR in a way that makes it more useful for casters.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's the tainted orc write up:

Tainted Orcs

These orcs are the descendants of the several dozen orc tribes that followed the wizard makcara to what is now known as the corrupted mountains, when makcara summoned forth his masters those orcs were exposed to massive amounts of demonic energies that remains in their descendants. These orcs have red skin, with hair that can be pitch black or burning red, rarely are they any color except black or red. Tainted orcs can live up to the same age as an elf,reaching adulthood at age 70 though. They tend to be chaotic, and have a tendency towards evil. The scar they carry always appears on their chest. They stand as tall as your standard orc. Their eyes always show their vile demonic heritage.

Tainted Orc racial traits
    +2 charisma, +2 strength: Tainted orcs have a strong force of personality and are quite strong.
    Medium: As medium creatures, tainted orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Darkvision up to 60 feet.
    Fire resistance 10.
    Spell-like abilities: tainted orcs can cast Burning Hands 1/day with caster level equal to their class levels.
    Spell resistance 11+ class levels.
    Automatic languages: Abyssal, common, and orcish. Bonus languages: Infernal, Draconic, Gnoll, Goblin, Giant, and Dwarven. Tainted orcs can know many languages, especially smart ones(which aren't as rare as standard orcs)
    Favored class: fighter, tainted orcs have respect for the finer disciplines of fighting.
    Level adjustment +1
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2009-11-21 at 12:52 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid
    +2 charisma, +2 strength: Tainted orcs have a strong force of personality and are quite strong.
    Medium: As medium creatures, tainted orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Darkvison up to 60 feet.
    Fire resistance 10.
    Spell-like abilities: tainted orcs can cast Burning Hands 1/day with caster level equal to their class levels.
    Spell resistance 10+ class levels.
    Automatic languages: Abyssal, common, and orcish. Bonus languages: Infernal, Draconic, Gnoll, Goblin, Giant, and Dwarven. Tainted orcs can know many languages, especially smart ones(which aren't as rare as standard orcs)
    Favored class: fighter, tainted orcs have respect for the finer disciplines of fighting.
    Level adjustment +1
    Darkvision is spelled wrong, and tainted humans only get 40 ft. for some reason. Make it 60 ft. on tainted humans. If you want the tainted orc to have more, add 60 ft. And spell resistance should be 11 + class levels, not ten. And why does the orc spell resistance work against everything, while the humans only get it against outsiders?
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

The orcs were directly exposed to the magic that opened forth the gates that brought the demons in. Therefore they became more powerful, if you like I can make it LA +2.

12. - Top - End - #12

The orcs were directly exposed to the magic that opened forth the gates that brought the demons in. Therefore they became more powerful, if you like I can make it LA +2.
    No, don't do that.
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I just realized something, these guys break the stereotype of "Ugly guy gets charisma penalties".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Back to the tainted human. Why does the SR only work against outsiders?
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

15. - Top - End - #15

Yeah those tainted humans are next to worthless when you can use aasimars...
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

*sigh* Okay, I'll edit the tainted human SR AGAIN!

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid
    *sigh* Okay, I'll edit the tainted human SR AGAIN!
    And their darkvision. It's spelled wrong, and it has a really random distance.
    Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Fixed darkvision.

19. - Top - End - #19

...fifty feet?

I have yet to see a race or template with fifty feet of darkvision. Just saying. It's always sixty or one-hundred twenty feet. I think there's one thing that grants thirty feet of darkvision, but for this race, I'd say sixty is just fine.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't make it have to have 60+ darkvision.

I don't think I can get the tainted elves done today.

21. - Top - End - #21

Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't make it have to have 60+ darkvision.
    True dat.

I don't think I can get the tainted elves done today.
    Darn.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I have a question about the breeding mechanics. If a human and a tainted human reproduce, is the child a tainted human, or is it somehow half-tainted? Can they even reproduce? I mean, you did say that they became a subspecies.

Basically, I want to know all about Tainted Love.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, basically, half-tainted have all the racial traits of a standard, non-tainted race,except they keep their tainted SLA and darkvision.

I can get the tainted elves written up soon.

24. - Top - End - #24

Well, basically, half-tainted have all the racial traits of a standard, non-tainted race,except they keep their tainted SLA and darkvision.
    You should make these races. Just adding spell-like abilities and darkvision doesn't work. That would make choosing a human a bad choice, because you could simply take a half-tainted human, for no penalty. Actually, if you don't mind, I might work on that myself. Do you?
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    Basically, I want to know all about Tainted Love.
    Whoooaaaooo....
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, here is the tainted elves:

Tainted Elves

Tainted elves were the result of the attacks on the isles of balance during the demon invasion, similear to the tainted humans, the invasion's corrupt magic left a taint that remains in the descendants of the Isle's native elven population, tainted elves stand about as tall as a half-orc, with their hair always some form of red, however, their eyes are two different colors, with the left one always being some form of red and the right one always pitch black. Tainted elves are one of the few tainted races that are naturally drawn to the forces of good, for reasons scholars have yet to explain. Tainted elves can live long,even for elves. They reach adulthood at 100 years and usually live until over 1000 years.

Tainted Elf Racial Traits
    +2 charisma, +2 strength,-2 constitution: tainted elves have a strong force of personality, and they were naturally strong to begin with, but their corruption has weakened their overall physical health.
    Medium: as medium creatures, tainted elves gain no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Tainted elves base speed is 30 feet.
    Fire resistance 10.
    Darkvision up to 50 ft.
    Spell resistance 11+class levels.
    Weapon proficiency: tainted elves gain both exotic weapon proficiency(Bastard sword) and martial weapon proficiency(longsword) as bonus feats, also, tainted elves treat the longsword as a light weapon for purposes of dual-wielding.
    Immunity to sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
    +2 racial bonus on listen,spot, and jump checks. Tainted elves have keen senses and originate from the jungle forests of the isles of balance.
    Automatic languages: Common and Elven. Bonus languages: Draconic, Abyssal, Celestial, Dwarven, Goblin, Giant, Orc, and Sylvan. Tainted elves know much about languages of the supernatural forces and of the natural forces.
    Favored Class: Ranger. Tainted elves originate from a jungle landscape where knowledge of the wild is essential.
    Level adjustment +1

Anything I missed?
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2009-11-23 at 05:51 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    You should make these races. Just adding spell-like abilities and darkvision doesn't work. That would make choosing a human a bad choice, because you could simply take a half-tainted human, for no penalty. Actually, if you don't mind, I might work on that myself. Do you?
    I don't mind.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2009-11-23 at 03:03 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Sweet.

The tainted elves, in my opinion, should be LA +1. They're not that powerful, so as to warrant another level adjustment penalty. Compare them to drow. And drow are considered weak for their level adjustment, or so I've heard.

EDIT: Also, you forgot languages on the tainted human.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2009-11-23 at 03:23 PM.
    Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Got it. Will change their LA.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    EDIT: Also, you forgot languages on the tainted human.
    Woops!

Better fix that.

Also, before anyone asks why they have different weapon profs, these are not your garden-variety elves that they came from, they came from the elves of the isles of balance, a subtype of elf that I let my players use instead of the standard elf if they wish. The elves of the Isles of balance had a couple differences from standard elves. Like mastering a fighting style would have one dual-wield the bastard sword and longsword.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2009-11-23 at 05:20 PM.