New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Space Opera: A cruise to Remember (IC)

Opening:

Your characters are in the starport on Simurgh V. The ship you are waiting on is the Glorious Day, a passenger liner the services the nearby systems.

The Simurgh system is on the outskirts of known space, and is much like an old west frontier town.

Simurgh is a "K" type star, with 7 planets in the system.

The main inhabited planet is Simurgh V, a Steppe type planet with a population of 100,000 mostly human, but with a mixture of other races.

Energy weapons, with the exception of stunners, are illegal except for those authorized to carry them.

Your reasons for being here vary. Some of you are on vacation. Some of you are on assignment. Some of you are even waiting for the ship to arrive so you can get to work.

What do you do?
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Space Opera: A cruise to Remember (IC)

Dr. Erica Amleth

A moderately tall woman, about five foot five, with short black hair and dark blue eyes stood out from the crowd through her clothes, a sky blue crisply cleaned medical uniform. Erica clicked her teeth, with a hint of irritation as the red-shirted employee of the port told her just when the ship was supposed to arrive

Well, this is slightly vexing

She went over to the seat, with her traveling bags next to it, resting on a rather primitive wheeled transport. She sits back in the seat, and looks round the room at the passing mass of sentients. After a short while, she produces a Micro-Computer from her uniform, and starts examining it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Erica probably left most of her possessions with Port Staff to take on board the Glorious Day. They've all been clearly labeled with her name, ready to be taken to her room. The remaining bags are her uniforms, some civilian clothing, and her field medkit. Old habits die hard
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-12-20 at 01:36 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Llyrid

A small canine - vulpine, technically, as she'd be sure to tell you - sat on one of the waiting benches, intently staring on a puzzle that was the descendant of a Rubik's Cube. Click. Click. Click. The little puzzle spun between her paws, colors dancing from side to side. Within moments, the puzzle was solved, every color on the same side. She pressed a randomizer button, and she began the puzzle again.

After solving it several times, she sighed. "When is that slow hulk of a ship going to arrive?"
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr. James Rollins

Dr. Rollins also sat on a bench. He is short (about 5'4) with a lean body. He wears what look like exploror's garb, hell what you'd expect to see out in a jungle. He has on a white shirt with a many pocketed vest over it, with a pair of Cargo shorts.

His heavily tanned skin and callused hands suggests that he works outside. His eyes are covered by a wide-brimmed Boonie hat. A heavy duffel and backpack are besides him.

"Well that'll get annoying real fast" the snide voice in his head remarked and the puzzle.

"Not as irritating as you"

"...Touche"
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bianca Han

An unkempt woman in a ripped black duster and an oil-covered tank top walks over to Doctor Rollins, pulling behind her a suitcase in equally dirty condition. Her grimy red hair goes just to her shoulder, tied back by a simple piece of copper wire. She removes her overcoat and hangs it off of her free arm, showing numerous tattoos up and down her upper arms, the most obvious a stylized writing of the phrase 'Sur, Sura, Sundari' on her right shoulder. After a quick breath, she takes a seat next to the good doctor and puts her large boots up on her luggage.

"Afternoon, James! Looking forward to our little trip? Have you ever been on a ship this big? What kind of engines do you think they use? How fast do you think it can go?"

She pauses, blushes for a moment, and starts again.

"Sorry doctor...I get kind of worked up around big ol' starships like this...how're you feeling?"

OOC: Krrth, I'm assuming it's cool I don't have all my gear lined up just yet. I'll have it done very shortly; I'm just still trying to get my head around all the equipment they have listed.
    Last edited by Pumpkin3.1415; 2008-12-19 at 10:39 PM.
    Vanguard of the Horace Greenhilt fan club. Pretend there's a smiley and get off my back...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Pumpkin3.1415
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's perfectly fine. I expect the first part of this to be mostly RP and getting to know the system. Feel free to ask me any questions you have about the gear.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"hmm, she's a talkative one eh?"

James simply smiled "Oh its perfectly fine Bianca" he chuckles "As you very well know I now nothing about ship specifications, but I have been on several ones this size"

He gets comfortable against the wall "They are very comfortable, well it wasn't on The Kesler 7, but I don't think the chances of that happening again are very high" his eyes begin to lose focus.

Spoiler
    Show
    Han! *gasp*

...AMLETH!! *gasp*
    Last edited by Greystone; 2008-12-19 at 11:04 PM.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I was waiting for you notice, Grey. Simply a celebratory reminder of our former glories together.

"Well, I haven't been on a ship this big. I've been on cargo vessels that are probably smaller than this boat. I'll admit, it's going to be weird getting to enjoy the ship's features that are outside the engine rooms. I wonder what this thing's galley looks like...for a crowd this size, I bet it's huge! I am looking forward to a meal that isn't condensed protein supplements. And a nice bed...I don't know about you, but I think I'm done with cots for a while."
    Vanguard of the Horace Greenhilt fan club. Pretend there's a smiley and get off my back...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Rollins looks a little hurt "I thought you said you liked my cooking"

"She liked? YOU don't even like your cooking"

- SurlySeraph

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Glorious Day
    Spoiler
    Show

The Glorious Day is a Skate class passenger liner with a crew of 650 and a total passenger capacity of 3800. It masses 50,000 tons.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Aww, don't you give me that...it's not that it's bad, but that's all we've been eating for what, eight or so months now? I'd kill for a single fresh slice of turkey right about now...or ham...or chicken...or any kind of real meat, I suppose. I know it doesn't keep as well as the food blocks do, but one man can only do some much with that and some prepackaged spices."

Bianca lets out a friendly laugh and pats the doctor on the back. Her wrists jingle with numerous bracelets, some of which are completely rusted over.

"I didn't mean to offend, James, really. You can out-cook me any day, that is one thing I know."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well Sh*t she must suck"

"I was just giving you a hard time" James said with a smile " I don't really think about food a lot" his hands actually inch towards his bag, which holds the instruments of his life's work.

James glances around "Where is that ship?" he looks over at the tall woman and the Canine "Excuse me, do either of you know when this ship was supposed to get here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    am I supposed to be picturing Serenity from Serenity? Say Shiney once, I dare you

- SurlySeraph

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I wouldn't dream of it, Grey. I know just because it's in space, doesn't make it Firefly...

But when you're on a long excavation trip in the middle of the Nowhere quadrant of the galaxy, I figured there wouldn't be too many grocery stores around, you know?

"In a bit of a hurry, there doc? Starsick already? Can't blame you, I suppose. I think the hum of engines does a person good, you know?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr. Erica Amleth

Erica looked somewhat surprised at the oddly dressed Dr. Rollins walking forward to talk to her. She noted his companion as well, though didn't react to her.

An interesting duo.

Ship? You mean the Glorious Day?
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Romow

Stroling up to the gate where the Glorious Day is scheduled to appear is a fair sized feline. One would say he stands about 5'10", but his long stone gray fur hides his bulk well enough that even guessing his weight would be difficult at best. His casual attire is betrayed by the military style duffel he's carrying at his side. As he sets his bag down by the canine playing with her logic puzzle, Romow sits down on the bench barely making any noise at all. Gazing at his watch he trys to appear nonchalant.

So, he looks over at the vulpine with his emerald green eyes and says in a low yet oddly soothing tone, how long have you been waiting?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Llyrid

The vulpine is very small, barely four feet in height, with a long bushy tail that's almost as tall as she is. She's dressed in a casual ISS uniform, with a lot of luxuriously long red fur exposed to the breeze. When she hears him, her tail flicks upright and she glances over with sea-green eyes.

"Well, I actually got to this planet a week ago - I hitched a ride with Captain Parlazi as he crossed the system - and I've been staying in a run-down hotel over thataway down two blocks waiting for the ship and looking around the city and I've been waiting right here for two hours now waiting for that kitty-livered ship to actually get here so I can wait another hour or so to actually get on board and get to my cabin. Frustrating, to say the least. Exceedingly frustrating! ...So, how long have you been waiting?"
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Romow

At hearing the petite vulpine give her long winded dissertation Romow immediately regrets sitting next to the vocal lady. His face remains serene but the tip of his long tail begins to flick in aggitation the longer Llyrid talks. Ah, I've been waiting, he begins while looking at his watch again, about two minutes, he says half jokingly, half sardonically.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

An announcement blares from overhead.

Attention! The Glorious Day has entered the system. Estimated docking time is one hour. Will all CS ticket holders for the Glorious Day please report to medical for processing! I repeat, will all CS ticket holders report to medical for processing!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Does that include crew boarding?
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Not yet. The CS (cold sleep) ticket holders have to be prepped and put into the Cryo tubes. The ship isn't actually docked yet.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Blasphemor! Everything must be a firefly or Star Wars reference

"Yes, the Glorious Day" he begins just as the announcement comes overhead "Oh well look at that I suppose I'm done waiting eh?"

"Introduce yourself!"

"My name is Dr. James Rollins"
    he offers his hand.

"Why did you want me to introduce myself?"

"You never know"
    the voice said lecherously

"Your disgusting"

"And bored"

- SurlySeraph

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr. Erica Amleth

Not for another hour, I'm afraid, Doctor.

She smiles, slightly, and shakes the offered hand. As one professional to another.

Dr. Erica Amleth. Chief Medical Officer of the Glorious Day.

She nods at whatever reaction Rollins makes, her minute smiles still there

Just returning from leave.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh so your from the Glorious Day? You'll pardon me if I don't wish to see you at work" he smiles broadly "Is there any rules or crew I should watch out for...I normally like to avoid confrontation"

"I'd let her give me an exam"

"Shut up"

- SurlySeraph

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr. Erica Amleth

The Capitan tends to be amicable. Watch out for Rosso though. Lieutenant Rosso. He's Chief Duty Officer, and always gets about, supervising things personally. He's also... zealous. If you get caught breaking company rules when he's about, you'll have a foe on your hands. The Sec guys all fear him, only Nik, head of security, seems to be able to stand up to the bastard.

Erica's slight smile fades as Rollin's grin broadens. Her voice is quiet, but cool, detached, that of one giving narration more than commentary. Even when she insults her fellow crew members.

Company rules... well, you can find a hand book in your cabin. Essentially, don't endanger yourself and others; don't do anything that'd get you arrested planet side and don't offend the first class passengers. That should be the essence.
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-12-20 at 10:20 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

As her smile fades, so does Rollin's "Err...I'm sorry if I have touched upon a sore subject" he points over his shoulder "I guess I have to go through medical for processing...Good to meet you"

he looks over his shoulder "Come on Bianca, its time to be processed"

- SurlySeraph

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Greystone
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're traveling in Cold Sleep? Are you sure about that?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

The minute smile returns for an instant

Oh, don't worry, it's not that sore a subject. I can deal with Rosso.

Spoiler
    Show
    More after I know if you really are going to be spending this time in cold sleep
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, is that what it means

The doctor suddenly stopped and actually listened. He chuckled in embarrassment "Err...I guess not" he looked back "I need to listen more closely"

"Dumbass"
    Last edited by Greystone; 2008-12-20 at 11:04 AM.

- SurlySeraph

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

The doctor leaned back in her seat, eyes closed.

I was wondering about that. Few people approach Cold Sleep quite so happily.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Llyrid

The vulpine's ears perked up, hearing the doctor's comment about Cold Sleep. She turned, giving the tall human a fanged grin. "Oh yes, CS is nasty. There's just so many ways for things to go wrong - being frozen for eternity, brrrrr. Really, why waste that valuable time being in arctic sleep instead of experiencing life aboard a ship, interacting with others and actually living?
    Are you one of the crewmembers?"
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show