New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers Needed

Garzuun

The draconic man's mouth opens as if he is going to offer another rebuttal, but instead, he turns to the "man" and "elven woman" sitting near him and speaks in a strange tongue,

Spoiler
    Show

[Draconic]"That small one has a strange definition of "friendly". I can only hope the others have more "wits" about them"[/Draconic]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amon

Amon chuckles and turns back to the bar, he leans a little bit closer to the halfling and mutters.

"Heh, you could try jabs at the other spell caster. I hear he's a professional, but friendly enough yeah? Here, next one's on me."

As he orders another round, Amon starts slightly at the language spoken by Garzuun, but goes back to his drink.
    "Yes, I am shaking in my omnipotent boots at their new outfits. I am helpless against the powers of fashion."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Parn winks at Garzuun when he speaks in Draconic.

Signature by Sneak.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Inside the Inn of the Fallen Titan

The human lays a large hand on Garzuun's shoulder and looks to speak, as if to add something to the conversation, when the short silence is broken by the sound of the Shaeffer setting his now empty glass on the bar with a heavy thud. Surprising to all, a larger than life belch emits from the short gnome.

"Oh, pardon me." He adds with a look on his face that makes you think it surprised even him.

From behind Boris, the kitchen door swings wide revealing yet another gnome with a large tray of cheese and two tall distillers filled with a dark red liquid, "Orders up!" he yells out, throwing his head back which leaves the tall chef's hat that was sitting atop his head to the floor. You cab visibly see the gnome debating on picking up the hat with such a large tray in his hands. Those of you seated closest to the kitchen door can see a look of shock on Boris' face.

"Now, now. There's no time for brunch, no, no." Shaeffer's voice cuts through the silence of the strange events once more. You can see a look of confusion on the gnomes face grow into anger as Shaeffer continues, "Besides, we have places to go, and our guests here," he motions to the human and elf,"Are on a short time line."

With a quickness not equal to the gnomes apparent age, Shaeffer plants two hands on the stool he is seated on and bounces backwards to the floor below. From behind Boris, once more, the gnome calls out as he sets the tray on the bar, "Who's payin' for this, then?"

Rummaging through the large robes around him, Shaeffer pulls out a purple bag, nearly half as long as his squatty legs. He buries an arm deep into the pouch and pulls forth yet another, smaller pouch. He quickly rifles through to present three shining platinum pieces. He lays them on the bar with a bit of a smirk, "I think this should cover our tab completely, yes Boris?"

As Boris nods, those of you on the same side of the bar as Shaeffer can see the gnome drop the smaller pouch back into the larger on. Shaeffer returns to digging through the large purple pouch and you can see a look of excitement as he begins to pull out the wrong of a staff. Those on the other side of the bar can only see the gnomes sun spotted head bent over as he begins to pull the staff out that stretches tall above the gnome.

With a chuckle, Shaeffer flips the staff around and you can all see the head of the staff; a dark green, clawed hand clutches an even darker green gem. "There, there. Much better. Shall we?" He speaks in a low tone as he grabs up the robes hanging on the floor and moves to the door.

When he reaches the hallway, he stops and pats the top of his head twice. A look of confusion rushes over his face as he looks back to the stool where he sat. His head lifts back as he realizes where he left his hat. With a snap of his finger, the hat literally jumps to life and begins scooting across the floor to its owner. With a quick jump to the gnomes head, Shaeffer repositions the hat, and clutches the (obviously too large) staff.

With an impatient look to everyone in the room, "Well? Come along, then."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Parn smiles with delight when the order arrives, wrapping his own cheese back up and putting it away. However, that delight is quickly squashed by Shaeffer saying that they were moving out. With a sigh, he moves over to tray, and picks up by distillers. He shakes his head, putting them both on the table, and the tilting the tray so all the cheese went into one of his pouches, "I'm not wasting good cheese."

He winks to the chef, takes a swig out of the distiller, and follows after Shaeffer.

Signature by Sneak.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Skullweaver

Kaunea stares in wonder as another of these tiny creatures bounces out of the back room. Each one seems stranger than the last. With a shrug, accepting that the little folk will likely always be strange, he turns to follow the overdressed green one...the one that seems to know far more than he should. If nothing else, today was proving very interesting, easily breaking the top 5 since he...left.
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2009-01-31 at 02:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Carin

Carin good naturedly thumps the bar and nods at the trio of platinum pieces. "That ought'do us pretty well up too then, mate. Catch ya 'round again, it's time to off on an adventure." He merrily hops off the stool, steadies the bow in his backpack's strap, and toddles along after the delightfully goofy Schaeffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

8. - Top - End - #68

Randolph

Three platinums was rather a lot for some cheese and drink. I can't recall ever spending so much buying rounds and tidibits. thought Randolph. That Schaeffer gnome bears watching, and perhaps the halfing too. Nevertheless, its a job I'm on, not a police watch.

He adjusted the straps on his breastplate, so it would ride more easily, and chaff less on the journey ahead. After a few more minor checks on his equipment, he was ready, and followed the rest of the company out the inn.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amon

Amon finishes his round and then follows the others, seemingly at peace with the group for moment. At a thought, he stops by the table with the elven woman and man and softly speaks in a rasping language.

Spoiler
    Show

Draconic:
    "I have no idea who you are, but if someone as simple minded as I could see the power you... radiate, then maybe a different disguise is in order. Take care/

Afterwards meanders after the group, careful to keep an eye on all of the shorter members of the group.
    "Yes, I am shaking in my omnipotent boots at their new outfits. I am helpless against the powers of fashion."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Garzuun

As the group begins making their way out of the inn, Garzuun once again looks to take his cue from the "man" and "elven woman". While he was here looking for Burrfoot, he is confident he'll be able to catch up to that troupe. These two seemingly know who he is, and may have important information he would hate to miss out on.

11. - Top - End - #71

Gathering your belongings, you each fall in line and head out into the city streets. You find that streets are filled with merchants now, and their respective buyers perusing wares and trinkets alike. With a quick look to the sky, you can tell it's a little past midday.

As you take in the view, you hear a faint voice whisper out, "Shaeffer, I think we need to get to..."

Quickly looking about, you see the elven lady topple forward. Garzuun's quick instincts nab the lady, and keep fer from falling face first in the dirt road. She gathers herself just briefly, and those paying close attention notice silvery scales appear along her neck line close to her ear.

The human with you scowls deeply, and looks to Shaeffer, "I knew she was not ready..."

Coming over with a hand full of robes, Shaeffer studies the lady quickly and nods. Rolling up his sleeves, "Let's make haste, then."

Those in tune with the Art can see Shaeffer's fingers wiggling a spell out, and with a small flash of light, you each feel as if your gear suddenly felt lifted off of your shoulders lightly. Shaeffer nods quickly, "Now, let's get to the Citadel. She can rest there for the remainder of the evening."

He turns quickly with his staff down to his side, and begins trotting towards the tall mountains where the Citadel's large double doors sit nestled in the earth. Following suite, you each take a few steps forward and realize that your moving much faster than normal, and keeping pace with the smaller gnome will not be difficult.

The human looks to you, Garzuun, with a concerned face, "I trust you can help her along, dragonfriend?" His question was more of a statement, and you can feel the urgency on each word. Lifting her legs in your arms, you find her weight much more than expected. Regardless, you press forward behind the gnome.

As the group moves up towards the mountains, you can feel the eyes upon you now of the villagers/merchants as you pass by at a quickened rate. Never the less, you find yourselves at the towering doors that seem to be opening for your arrival. Several dwarves stop pushing the doors to look upon each of with a sense of wonder, but you follow along behind Shaeffer's quick steps into the darkness of the Citadel. A fleeting thought passes through your head about being so trusting, but it is quickly dissolved as you step into the ancient halls of the dwarves.

Looking about, it takes a few blinks for your eyes to adjust to the dim lighting. You find that you are in a large entrance hall. Those attuned to dungeons or castle structure, realize quickly that this area was meant as a holding area for guests. Along each side of the walls you can spot out long slits in the stone work that are obviously meant as murder holes for intruders, or guests with ill repute. To the rest of you, you wonder why don't they fill in the cracks.

Ahead of the group, you can see another set of doors, and above them, sounds of hammers and picks are accompanied by fumes of dust that bellow out every few seconds. Standing in front of the doors, two humans stand with puzzled looks on their faces as you enter.

"Jon, Elias, get the lift started. We need to get to the largest room you have here quickly." Shaeffer's voice rings out in the empty halls. The two humans nod quickly, and turn to open the set of doors behind them.

You follow along as the question grows heavier in the back of your mind again. Before you can second guess yourself, you find that you stand before a platform with a strange metal box filled with cogs and gears on it. Stepping onto the platform, Shaeffer turns to the group, "All aboard." He steps back to the outer edge leaving plenty of space for everyone to fit.

As you step onto the platform, Kaunea, you can feel the platform creak slightly and you find yourself looking at Shaeffer with a question he already knows the answer to. "It'll hold. Elias, start it up." One of the humans from before, clad in greens and browns of the earth, begins to spin wheels and cogs on the box, and inserts a handle on the outer side. With five quick turns, the box begins to hum lowly and the platform shifts violently causing more than one gasp as it begins to lower itself downward.

As the platform lowers, you can't help but wonder why you read the flyer posted up, and why, oh why, did you respond to it...? The darkness around grows even darker, and danker the lower the platform sinks.

"This 'll do." Shaeffer's words resonate, bringing you back to the reality at hand. You quickly scan the area as the platform shutters to a halt. You find that you are in a large cavern below the surface filled with wood debris and nothing of what oyu had expected from a dwarven citadel. "How about some light, yes, yes/" Shaeffer's returned to the chirping gnomish as his staff comes to light, showering the cavern with a bright green glow. You can see the enormity of the cavern now: Four sets of doors rest on each of the four walls of the large room, the ceiling towers at least 30 feet above you a strange rail system that looks shatter and torn in some spots winding its way around the room.

"Lay her here." Shaeffer says as he moves toward the middle of the room, " That spell should be wearing off any moment now. The rest of you back up."

Heading his words, you take a few steps back just in time. The figure of the elven lady shimmers for a just a second as Garzuun lays her down and steps away. Suddenly, her form flashes a bright light, causing you to look away. As you turn back, you find her form has shifted into that of a medium sized dragon, no bigger than the human male kneeling over her.

He looks up with a cold stare, "I tol dher she was not yet ready..."

Shaeffer scoffs and moves closer, "Bah! She'll be fine. That was the first time she had really used her alternate form. i think she did fairly well for such a young female." He bends slightly to soothe the dragon by rubbing her head between her eyes. As his staff leans forward, the light illuminates the dragon's body, giving it a silvery-green shine.

From your right, you hear doors swinging wide, slamming into stone. You jump slightly, as if unsure of what to expect. The sounds of foot falls come closer to you, and you can't help but reach to your weapon attached to you.

"Who in de Nine hells is makin' so much...." A dwarf appears from the shadows and you find yourself staring at him. His black beard is freshly groomed and braided into three long spires from his face; a golden breastplate shines in the green light showing you a clan symbol of little worth to you; more importantly, you see an axe on his hip glowing a soft red light.
    "Oh, Shaeffer...what's de matter wit her now?"

"She'll be fine Rimbar." Shaeffer retorts, laying a hand on the dragon's snout once more. The gnome nods to the group with a smile, "These are the new adventurers. Say hello, King Rimbar." He gives a wink and a wider smile before turning back to the dragon.

The dwarf gives Shaeffer a funny look, and then turns to the group with a sense of pride about him, "Well...As Shaeffer noted, my name is Rimbar, though I am not the King here." As he speaks, the axe on his side glows brighter for which Rimbar cups his hand over the hilt, "Let me welcome ye to de Citadel of One, though it is not nearly completed. We have more den our fair share o' work to complete before it's operational." you can see the stress growing on his face as he mentions the work left to be done. He steps closer to the group, "And who are ye?" His eyes dart around to each of you looking for a response.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Garzuun

The dragonborn struggles under the weight of the elven woman briefly before setting her down on the ground. He quickly rifles through a pouch, producing a few strands of thick hair. Those secured, he runs through a few gestures and speaks arcane words. The culmination of his efforts resolves itself into the form of a riding pony with a saddle. Beckoning the "man", together they get the woman into the saddle, and Garzuun walks along with the horse, keeping her steady in the saddle.

Spoiler
    Show

There was no way I was going to be carrying her with my Strength of 7.

Garzuun stands over the dragon protectively, shifting his stance to stay between these newcomer dwarves as well was the gathered adventurers. At the king's question, Garzuun stands up tall, puffs out his chest and answers confidently,

"King Rimbar, my name is Garzuun Harknough. I have come from the north to find out what has happened to the one your people know of as Rust Belly. I had been told that Mr. Burrfoot would be able to aid me in this endeavor."

At the mention of the gnome, Garzuun's attention shifts and he turns an almost-accusatory glare on the little one,

"Mr Burrfoot, I could not help but notice that you referenced us as the "new" adventurers....what, praytell, became of the last adventurers?"
    Last edited by Diarmuid; 2009-01-22 at 02:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Parn waltzes along in the middle of the group, keeping his cloak and hood pulled close and covering his head. It wasn't that he was paranoid of people looking for him, as much as he was aware that people were looking for him. He was a well-known thief after all... maybe he should work on that. He looks at his new companions with a smile, sizing them all up as he walks around with them.

Normally in this type of crowd his hands would wander, but he had them occupied with a set of tools he was currently adjusting in his hands. However, he still manages to follow and navigate the streets with ease without looking around once he sets himself to the task. As the arrive at the large complex, he quietly puts his tools away and slowly filters to the back of the group as they pass through the large doors. Normally at this point, he would want to break off and explore... but then he saw that there was only one way to go... and that one way currently had guards. And one of those guards happened to be a man he practically pantsed this morning.

Rolling his eyes he pulls his cloak on a little tighter as he keeps to the middle of the group. When asked for introductions, Parn simply waves a hand, "Parn." The perky little halfling thief seems to have lost a bit of his perk now.
    Last edited by Forgotten T.S.; 2009-01-22 at 02:39 PM.

Signature by Sneak.

14. - Top - End - #74

Randolph

Randolph approached the citadel alongside Schaffer, having been there before. As he walked, he glanced at his current employer, who seemed to be a spellcaster of some power. He did give a small start when the 'woman' fell, and a somewhat larger one when she abruptly turned into a dragon.

Recognizing Rimbar from earlier, he responded I'm Randolph, a preist of St. Cuthbert who seems to be in the employ of master Schaeffer, here, although I'm not sure what for. Perhaps one of you could explain that?
    [ooc]diplomacy check w/ rimbar, if needed.[/ooc]
    (1d20+7)[20]
    Last edited by sum1won; 2009-01-22 at 04:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Skullweaver

Following the odd group up the mountain, Skullweaver is once again impressed by the extraordinary skill the dwarves display when crafting their mountain homes. Uncomfortable under the mountain, he shifts as they travel downwards. Not entirely trusting of the gnome's assurances, he is very glad when the strange elevator reaches it's bottom and he can get off.

Shocked at the revelation of the small dragon, Skullweaver gives a little more credence to the idea that Shaeffer may actually be able to help him in his quest.

He relaxes slightly as Rimbar talks, and introduces himself, straightening slightly. "I am Kaunea Skullweaver. I am honored to be welcomed to your citadel. Only twice before have I been inside a dwarven stronghold, and neither so impressive as this." With that he remembers the strangers around him, and hunches back down slightly, hoping no one took notice.

16. - Top - End - #76

As you speak to the dwarf before you, Garzuun, you can see a warm smile crawl across his face as you mention the 'old adventurers.' With a slight chuckle in his voice, "Heh, dere were a few adventurers, including myself, an intelligent human unfortunately named Asmodeous, de priest Mikhail, Jon and Elias whom ye met before above, our intelligence leader Candida - who ye shall meet shortly, and...who am I forgetting...?" The dwarf rolls his eyes toward the ceiling of the room, as if he were trying to think hard.

"Oh hah, hah, Rimbar!" A small voice from behind the stout dwarf breaks through the shadows. Stepping out into the more predominate light, a small gnome carrying a strange contraption that seems harnessed to his arm emerges, "Don't let the bearded lier take too much of your time, Shaeffer." He looks to the group and gives a short bow, "I am Gerbil The Magnicifi-"

"That'll do, gerbil." Rimbar adds in quickly cutting the gnome off quickly, "And please take dat ting offa now. Yer startin' to scare me with that..." The gnomes face scrunches slightly at the dwarf. "how about ye go and retrieve Mikhail fer me. Seems one of Shaeffer's guests isnna feelin' well now." His dart to the yougn dragon on the floor as she pulls herself up to her elbows. Gerbil nods as he unstraps the wrist straps on a machine (of sorts) that you are certain you will never see again in this life time. He quickly melts back into the shadows as he moves towards another set of doors left open behind the two 'old adventurers.'

Looking back to you, Garzuun,"To answer your earlier statement, I had heard o' K'irdinaelle Ver Mystali's dissapearance from one o' me cousin from Dun Murl right before Shaeffer's friends showed up here. I think dat's why Shaeffer had asked fer ye all ta come." Rimbar eyes Shaeffer, who simply returns it with a nod.

Rimbar listens as Randolph and Kaunea introduce themselves, and returns kaunea's presentation with a short nod himself, "It is indeed an honor ta welcome all of ye to de Citadel o' One." He gives Shaeffer another look, and then back over his shoulder,"If ye will, follow me ta my audiencehall. It's a bit overdone, but I tink it'll be better suited for de dragon here to stretch and rest herself. That and we can get a bite ta eat while we discuss what's brought ye here. I think Candida should be about ready her us now."

He waits a moment, and shakes his head as he moves toward the dragon still trying to gather herself. "Let me help ye there with her. She don look like she's ready to be walkin' 'round yet." The young dragon raises a silvery claw and grasps a hold of Rimbar's squatty hand. With the help of the human (and anyone else), Rimbar manages the dragon up, and gets a firm grip under her front arm.

Garzuun:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the dwarf comes closer, you can see the axe on his side glow brighter and begin to emit a low humming noise

Shaeffer takes the lead and gives you all a quick wave, "Come along. Carin, Mr. Ironeyes, why don't you too let King Rimbar here know who you are as we walk along, yes?"

As you follow behind, you can see the large hall that you were in narrow to a point where the two double doors Gerbil had disapeared into come together. From beneath the doors, you can see the warm glow of a fire (a sight warming to some of you). Pushing back the doors, Shaeffer reveals a much more grandious hall with a large table with food strung out across it. To your right, you can see another set of doors leading out somewhere. To your left, you find a landing with a silver throne complete with a red carpet stretching down the stairs before it. Several Dwarven guards come to attention as the door opens, and you can spot a few other creatures inside as well: a small blue skinned goblin flips back a hood letting his bald, blue head be seen; a bearded human standing next to it looks up from a set of maps strewn across the far end of the table (Amon, you notice this man as Asmodeous, the merchant from earlier); a large, brutish form of rock that seems to shift as you enter the room.

From your right, the set of doors open wide and several dwarves come streaming in with a large pillow. "Lay it over here near the fire." A voice comes before you can see that another priest, dressed similarly to Randolph quickly follows behind the dwarves, "Over here, Rimbar. This should help." The dwarves comes close to the fire with the pillow before lowering it to the ground.

The dragon squirms only once as she is lowered to the pillow gently. Her strong arms balance herself carefully on the pillow as she lowers her head down, cupping her wings in tightly to her body. The priest is quickly by her side looking for wounds on her. Most of his efforts to rub muscles while looking for obvious cuts are thwarted by the dragon ever so gingerly, "Please. Stop. I am not wounded. I just need rest." Her voice now seems more vibrant as it fends off the priest."Thank you, Mikhail. But I do not require your aid. Just rest." Those watching the human near her can see a look of worry grow over his face against the firelight.
    Last edited by tape_measure; 2009-01-26 at 02:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Skullweaver

Skullweaver follows the others down to hall, offering his aid to the the dragon should it be needed. He keeps his head unconsciously ducked, for fear of bumping into a door jam or support beam.

Once the the dragon is deposited on the pillow, he draws back quietly, quickly looking over the various people in the room, pausing slightly at the shifty rock.

Spoiler
    Show
    Check to see if Kaunea recognizes it.
    Knowledge (the planes): (1d20+3)[15]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amon

Amon was far too interested in the radical flows of magic to even hear the amazingly loud dwarf talk at the beginning, but the squeaking voice of Shaeffer broke through his haze of thought centered on the dragon woman.

Silver... ok its, uh she's a friendly dragon, I think. A dragon intentionally masquerading as a human, how utterly fascinating... I wonder if her friend is also silver, but why would they even be he... what the hell is that unbearable sound? oh its Shaeffer.

"Apologies master dwarf, my name is Amon Ironeyes, mercenary, at your service.
    Last edited by Godhand; 2009-01-27 at 01:41 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Kaunea:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can easily tell this creature is a denizen of the elemental plane of earth. Its beady eyes shifty and scan over you, just as you look onto it, as you enter the room and find a spot to fit your frame.

As the group moves and settles into a spot in the hall that seems adequate, you can not help but keep an eye on the dragon. Children's tales about dragons were always fascinating, but to be living in the tale. Many of you had seen several different types of creatures across the lands, some even more rare than a dragon. But, again, to be in the presence of one is another subject all together.

Motioning you to the table filled to the edge with foods of all sorts, Shaeffer finds a seat closer to the far end (nearest the thrown). Rimbar gives a nod to the small, blue goblin as he joins those looking over the maps on the table. You can see it slips move, as if speaking, but not a sound comes from its taunt, blue lips. With a nod, Rimbar looks to Shaeffer with a stern look on his face.

He quickly changes his facial expression as he looks to you all, "Lemme do some introducin," He holds out a palm as he goes around the table, "Dis is Candida, our intellegence leader," His opened hand stops at the blue goblin before you. Amon, you woul drecognize the two yellow eyes as they scan over the group and pause on you. "This is Asmodeous, anudder highly intelligent human. Asmo tends to his shop mostly, but I have a feeling he has more planned for our little hole in the ground in the coming days." A generous smile stretches across the bearded mans face as give a nod to Rimbar and then a colder nod to the group."Behind me is my closest friend of all, Crumble." The sound of its name, the rock mass shifts and melts into the ground below you. Without warning, it reemerges and forms directly behind Rimbar."He's been de best friend a dwarf could ever ask fer."

Leaning up on his knees, Shaeffer pulls an apple toward him and begins rubbing it on the old robes that cover his body. " Now let's get to business, yes, yes?" His high pitched voice squeeks slightly, "But first, what do you all know of the dragons of Iryulm?" His eyes quickly dart about the group.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amon

For all his shortcomings in attention, one of the few things that could Amon's focus was history. Of all the things the gnome had said, this was something the mercenary could sink his teeth into. Amon stands at the end of the table and leans slightly on it, caught hook, line and sinker by the gnome's question.

"The history of the dragons? Among every culture I have ever visited, there always are stories, tomes and legends of the dragons, and this is what I've been able to piece together.

Among dragon kind there are two main sub-types and a multitude of small groups below. The two main groups are the children of Bahamut, the metallic dragons, and the offspring of Tiamat, the chromatic dragons. For the most part, the children of the former are considered peaceful and kind, while the latter are... erm, not. Some speak of the connection between elves and dragons, but I have not seen this to be true, whether it is or not.

Due to the power invested in these beings by their sires, the immortal dragon's were placed in charge of our material plane... uhm, or rather our world for a time while the god's were elsewhere. For a time this world prospered, until a dark elf rebelled against the metallic dragon kin with the aid of the chromatic, or color dragons. This rebellion became known as the abyssal war, as the dark elf, offspring of the elf god himself, forged a pact with the demon lord Asmodeus for the power to defy the gods. In the end the elf was defeated, and much of the material world was saved.

This is usually where the story ends, but an old poem in an old mage's keep held one last morsel. After the defeat of the dark elf, Boccob, lord of magic, demanded the dragon's be brought to heel. A fierce debate raged in the heavens, and finally a deal was struck. To 10 powerful mortals were the orbs of dragon kind given, each the head of their respective races. These orbs gave complete control of a certain breed of dragons to the owner, along with pieces of their power. Only Vecna, keeper of the secrets knew of all nine orb's location, and Vecna swore upon its godhood to maintain that secret until eternity.

Now, by asking that question master gnome, I have a feeling this adventure of ours deals with dragons, but I can only hope against hope this deals with a legendary orb. Is this what we seek?"

Realizing he had been speaking for several minutes straight, Amon bowed and took his seat, casting a glance to the blue skinned creature in recognition, and a nod to the shop keeper. Amon sifted through the cobwebs of his memory, knowing there was something else he heard, if only he could grasp it.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Carin

When Amon had finished, Carin let out a low whistle. "Now that's something else, innit? I've heard many tales and legends from the dark elves and the war of the abyss, but this orb bit is another shake entirely. Is that's what we're all on about, then?" His gaze flits excitedly between Schaeffer and th'lord Rimbar, awaiting their confirmation. Occasionally the frenetic eyes cross to the gnome in their circuit, thinking that it's nice not to be the only blue person in the room. Not that this lot is exactly a bunch of meadow-variety posies.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Garzuun

Garzuun clapped softly thrice and bowed after Amon's tale,

"Very impressive Amon. Not many among the....."

The draconic one's mouth works around his teeth as he tries to find the right word,

"...lesser..races are so well-versed in the lore of the orbs. Your recounting is accurate, if unfinished. The orbs were given to the dwarves, elves, humans, what-have-you when these races were in their infancy, so they might have a chance to reach their maturity. But as they grew in strength, Boccob sesned that the balance was was shifting in the other direction. The orbs tipped the scales too far away from the dragons, and to reset the scales to even, he removed the orbs from the other races and returned them to the dragons."

It almost seems as if Garzuun would continue, but he suddenly stops, as if he caught himself before saying something he should not share.

Placing his palms together in front of him, he faces the dragon and the "human" and gives a short bow of penitance.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Skullweaver

Skullweaver just sat and shook his head in wonder at the legends being passed around the table. The fantastic power of these stories made him miss his tribe, gathered around the campfire at night, listening to the Dawncallers and their tales. He had never heard this tale of dragons and orbs, and hoped that someday he could bring it back to his tribe. Oh this could be promising. These fools could be looking for one of these orbs. Oh, imagine the fun we could have with one of those! You won't keep winning forever, you know. Imagine all you want, you'll never get the chance to use one. With that the voice retreats into the blackness, laughing it's defiance, gone for now.

Frowning, Skullweaver address no one in particular with his thoughts. "I have heard tales of dragons being protectors of the world, and that it was always best to respect and avoid them, as they were left behind to watch over us. I have even heard rumors of elves being their immortal family. But such a tale as these orbs, and this elf betraying it's own kin, defying gods...never such a story as this." With a glance towards the small dragon by the fire, and then a look around the room, filled with the most random assortment of creatures imaginable, he looks curiously at Shaeffer, "And the lost treasure you're seeking in the Tails Fen have something to do with all this?"
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2009-01-31 at 02:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Parn

Parn remains sitting in his seat, gobbling up food, almost bored with the conversation. Sure, Dragon Orbs that could control dragons sounded cool... but none of these people really sounded like they knew anything about where they were. Especially not with that lich-loved skeleton Vecna keeping his bone-dry mouth shut.

However, the second treasure was mentioned, his head jerks up and looks over at Kaunea and Shaeffer, "Treasure?"

Signature by Sneak.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Skullweaver

Skullweaver glances at Parn as he pipes up with apparent interest. "Yes, treasue," he says, slightly confused at the halflings surprising enthusiasm. "Do you not remember the flyer at the inn? Wasn't that what we were gathered as n escort?" The last question is again direct towards Shaeffer.

26. - Top - End - #86

Randolph

Randolph leaned eagerly forward in his site, enthralled at the idea of such a mighty artifact. As he listened, he absentmidnedly and almost mechanically devoured most of the contents of the nearest serving bowls without ever noticing the contents.
    Treasure? Treasure should be the least of our concerns if such an artifact is the goal! Imagine the power of even one of these orbs- we must be sure to retrieve it to keep it out of the wrong hands!

Slightly embarassed at the outburst, Randolph calmed himself slightly before asking
    Just to be clear, what is the nature of our job?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Parn

He waves a hand at Skullweaver, "Yeah, I remember... just sort of... forgot during all this other talk." When Randolph bursts out, he merely looks over at him very... oddly. Shaking his head he goes back to eating.

Signature by Sneak.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amon

"Wait a second, let's not get ahead of ourselves, even if Mr. Burrfoot has in inkling where an orb is, this escort job could be based on something completely different. Besides, if even we did retrieve and orb, I'd expect it'd be something we wouldn't be keeping. We're the muscle, not the receivers. Maybe if we had a map or som.. thing.. hmm."

Amon's eyes go out of focus slightly as a thought snapped into place, his words trailing off into nothing.

Trevah. Trevah the mapper, the geographer. Trevah the mad gnome. He would know. But it couldn't be that simple... no. Could it?

The thoughts and topics of the others drifted into the haze of his mind as Amon reached into its depths, plucking what he wanted, and ignoring all else, save for a long look directly at Mr. Burrfoot. Peering into eyes of this mysterious being, who leaves behind fantasies much like breadcrumbs in the wake of fabulous meal.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Garzuun

The dragonborn sorcerer is a little concerned with the direction the discussion headed after he said his peace. The talks of treasure, and acquiring the orbs was exactly why he had cut off his tale when he did.

He sheepishly turned his attentions to the "man" to try and gauge his reaction to the words of the lesser races.

Sense Motive - (1d20+1)[12]

30. - Top - End - #90

For Garzuun:
    Spoiler
    Show
    While the "man's" face is still solemn as ever, you can see his eyes close along the sides just slightly as the words orb and treasure are seemingly mixed together into one. A quick tightening of his jaw reveals several muscles along his face, but he releases the pressure as Shaeffer begins to speak

Taking a bite out of the apple, Shaeffer begins, "While it ish chrue chat che Orbsh of Dragchonkind are a chreat chreasure to chish world,, he swallows the hunk of apple,"They are not the sole reason I have gathered you here. There is a far greater treasure we seek."

You can see that he contemplates taking another bite but hesitates before continuing, "a long, long, long time ago, I had a brother. I say 'had' because he was not graced with the wisdom or longevity that I was. Trevah was his name, and he and I had something very close in common; we enjoyed travelling." Looking over to the map Candida had sprawled out before her..him..it.., he wiggles his largest finger.

Much like his hat before, the map lurches to life and begins floating across the table to him. Making sure he is mostly in the middle of the group, he begins again.

"We began travelling from a place no longer mapped called the Grein.*The Grein was the first home of the gnomes many, many, years ago, but I digress. We had decided to explore the world since there had been none to do so in the past. He had seen travelers come and go in the Grein, and while they always told us about tales from far away, we never really knew where that was. So, Trevah and picke dup one day and set out.

"Oh...some of the adventures I could bend your ear with..."
    His voice falters for just a moment before he continues,"Anyhow...the most important part of this story is that Trevah found that his map making abilities were like none other...if fact this looks like a poor representation of his work if I can say so myself..." While he is speaking, his stubby finger runs across a path along the coast of the map and delves into the middle occasionally.

"After a few years of travelling, gathering a few escorts, a few friends, and even a few enemies along the way, we were approached by the Great Wyrm, Glimmer. He asked that Trevah map the hidden locations of the orbs as a security measure; In case some power came over the dragons, or the world needed the orbs for survival." Shaeffer’s face grows a little more grim, "What Glimmer failed to divulge was that this act would open Trevah up to assaults later in his short life from all sorts of cowards and....I'm rambling...sorry."

Moving his finger to the Chain Mountains, and then to Dun Murl, he continues, "Luckily, Trevah was a little more quick than those that wanted his little map he kept tucked away in journal. He hid the journal away and told but one person -NOT his own brother I might add- where he had hidden it away. A gatecrasher** named Colon*** Getspa, an age old friend of The Travelers, and a lousy drunk, has found himself in the captivity of a tribe of yuan-ti just off the Talis Fen coast." His finger travels along the South East cost of the map to Talis Fen and points to the island to the right of it.

Nearly startling everyone, the man who has not said much of anything speaks suddenly, "The odd part of this is that the yuan-ti do not originate from the jungles there. And, we- his eyes dart to the young dragon barely holding her head up by the fire, and then to you Garzuun,"-have reason to believe that is where one of our brethren known commonly as Rust Belly has disappeared to." his eyes dart back and forth to the group in hopes that not no one caught that little slip.

Shaeffer smiles as he begins to roll the map up carefully, yet gingerly, "So, you see, the mission is two part; find and retrieve Colon-for he is the last mortal alive to know where my brother Trevah's journal is, seek out Rust Belly and find why he fled Larawen Lake." Retrieving a map case from the table, Sheaffer slips the map in and closes the lid. Laying it down on the table, the gnome's eyes shift about the group, "Any questions?"

From behind him, you can hear the gnome Gerbil whispering to Rimbar, Yeah..why didn't we get to do something that cool?" Those watching can see the dwarf give a sharp elbow into the gnome's side.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    References:
    Spoiler
    Show

* = Requires a Know: history check of 30 -or- the being a gnome to know(post rolls in the OOC). The Grein is mostly a myth to the races other than gnomes. To them, is like a valhalla now, or a place the old/devout make a pilgrimage to. It's been rumored that the place does not even exist any longer.

** = Requires a Know: The Planes of 30 (again, post in OOC thread) to know about the few beings in the world who know about the portals that exist between the different planes. These rare beings know how to manipulate these portals to work to their advantage.

*** - Pronouced Co-Lone...not the vital organ that filters your poo.