New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Post-Apocalyptic Eberron team 1

Spoiler
    Show
    listen check- (1d20+26)[39]

and if I hear anything hide check (hide in plain sight for the win)- (1d20+45)[47]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Elail

Listen: (1d20+3)[17]
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not even going to try to top that listen check: a natural 20 gives me 17. However, I do have 60 ft. blindsense (not to mention 120 darkvision and improved low-light vision), which IMO tops listen every time.

Vaine draws his sword, and warily walks into the room.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcutio

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[12]
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

5. - Top - End - #35

Faolan hears two things quickly moving away from the entrance towards the left, but only thanks to his enanched senses, since the remaining party members don't actually hear anything.

Vaine carefully enters the room. It's a rectangular division about thirty feets per fifty feets, with a door on each side and no remarkable features besides basic mobile. From his point of view, he can see only the left one is open. Inside, it seems like some sort of kitchen, but the dragon also spots what seems to be the legs of someone fallen on the ground, over a pool of blood. His draconic senses tell him that it isn't alive.

Spoiler
    Show
    Blindsense demands line of effect, wich right now Vaine doesn't have to any creature but the party.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Faolan

Hearing movement and seeing Vaine enter the room, Faolan draws his kukris and moves quickly and quietly into the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    hide check- (1d20+45)[54]
    move silently check- (1d20+41)[49]
    I'm moving at a speed of 40
    when I get into the room:
    spot check- (1d20+26)[46]
    listen check- (1d20+26)[32]
    I also have superior low light vision, darkvision out to 60 ft. and scent if it matters

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcutio

"Hey!
    If you don't want to get your asses fried, show yourselves!"

The halfing prepares to cast Scorching ray, making himself a very tempting target in the doorway.
    "I am totally f*cking serious guys, I'm completely nuts here.
    I haven't snorted anything in hours, I'm haven't drunk myself into a stupor yet today, and there is absolutely no chance of me getting my rocks off in this god f*cking forsaken hole they call a city.
    I have absolutely no problem burning this entire place down around your f*cking ears, so just stop it with the f*cking games so we can get on with our f*cking lives.
    O. f*cking K.?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Elail

Slowly turning his head to the halfling, Elail gives him a confused look. "You wouldn't happen to be a friend of a Mr. Tulip, would you?" He carefully sidesteps the loaded sorcerer and walks into the building, "How's it look?".

As he walks in, he clears the doorway and looks over the scene in black and white.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Vaine glares back at the fae, but says nothing. He then walks over to the body, and pokes it with his sword- hard enough to pierce unarmored flesh. He then puts his sword in its sheathe, then kneels down to get a closer look at the body, looking through it for any distinguishing attributes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+5)[17]

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Elail

"Damnit..." Elail approaches the body but gives the half dragon space to work. He simply mumbles a few prayers in Quor to himself while tightening the grip on his lance.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2009-01-11 at 11:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Vaine enters the room, and to his horror the body seems to be full of gory and bloody wounds, almost like it was teared apart by some wild beast. Not only that, some other maimed bodies fill the room Before he has time to imagine what could have caused that, he notices two creatures just behind the wall, waiting in ambush. They seem like something come out of a really bad dream. Standing in two legs, those tall and slim purple creatures have their entire body covered in tick scales from wich grow several small spikes. They also posses four arms each ending in long sharp looking claws. Their heads don't seem to have eyes, being covered by a tick bone plating, but in return they have big powerfull maws filled with teeths covered in a green slime. Before the dragon manages to do anything, they release an inhuman scream and move their heads forward and bite the suprised Vain in both flanks, injecting their posionous saliva in his bloodstream.

No sooner have they sinked their teeths in the dragon's flesh, the door on the front bursts open and two more of those creatures step forwards, also screaming to the party.

Everybody:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ok, suprise round over, Vaine took 20 damage from two bites and must make two DC 18 fort saves against poison, initial and secondary damage 1d6 strenght.

Roll iniative!

Monster's iniative:
    (1d20+6)[26]

Situation
    Spoiler
    Show

Small brown squares are furniture and trash that count as dificult terrain.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    initiative- (1d20+16)[30]
    also would my spot of 46 and listen of 32 (48 and 34 if they're aberrations) not be high enough to let me act in the surprise round?

13. - Top - End - #43

(spot was useless since the monsters never were on line of sight, but you heard them, so you indeed can make a partial action before the bullets start flying)

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Faolan

Hearing movement, Faolan steps out of the shadows.
    There's something coming, and judging by the state of that one I doubt they're friendly. He says, pointing at the corpse on the floor as shadows form around him, obscuring his location.

Spoiler
    Show
    warning the rest of team, moving to square L17 (AC becomes 34) and activating child of shadow stance (20% miss chance).

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Awww, cmon! I should've noticed them the instant I came in the room! grumble grumble. Anyhow, I should be able to pass at least one of those fort saves...
    (1d20+7)[23]
    (1d20+7)[17]
    possibility fail:(1d6)[5]
    and then let's see if I can't figure out what these things are.
    Know: arcane(1d20+16)[25]
    Know: Dungeoneering (1d20+6)[24]
    Know: Planes(1d20+6)[11]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for double post, but yeah. Going to L17, and hitting the monster at I8.
    attack roll1 (1d20+11)[30]
    roll 2 (1d20+11)[15]
    Dmg roll 1 (4d6+1)[14]
    roll 2 (4d6+1)[13]

Vaine quickly dispels his transmutation, turning to his real form and flying out of the room, casting scorching ray as he does so on the nearest things.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh right-knowledge checks.
    nature (unlikely, but they could be fey or soemthing)- (1d20+11)[21]
    dungeoneering- (1d20+11)[25]

gorgontess-you still need to roll initiative.
    Last edited by sidhe_blooded; 2009-01-12 at 09:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Face-hand. Right. (1d20+3)[21].
    Also, simply for posterity's sake, could Mr. DM roll our initiatives for us in the future? It usually helps, in my experiences.

19. - Top - End - #49

Spoiler
    Show
    You actually spoted them the instant you entered the room, but they were completely waiting for someone to enter and had readied actions to bite whoever entered. That other post actually ocurred in a fraction of second. As soon as you steped in, the monsters took a munch.

Now, to the knowlede checks. Nature and the planes don't reveal anything, but Arcane and Dungeonoring reveal some interesting intel:

Spoiler
    Show

These are kythons, creatures originally create by fiends many millenias ago trough unknown rituals. The original purpose was to create a new fiendih species wich could breed in the material plane by themselves. The fiends did suceed in creating a new kind of creature wich could thrive in Eberron whitout need of special rituals or conditions. However the Kythons holded no loyalty to the fiends, or anyone else but themselves. Altough smarter than most humanoids in their adult stage, they care only about multiplying themselves. And when food's readily available, they can do this quite fast.

Combat
    Spoiler
    Show

The present specimens are clearly adult kithons, with fully formed arms and armor. All extremeties of this creature are extremely sharp. They possess both strong and balanced bodies and minds and resort to clever tactics to hunt for prey and defend their nests. Kythons are blind from birth but are able to sense tremors in the ground to locate other creatures at range whitout actually seeing them, wich leads them to try to prefer to fight in the darkness Their hearing is quite sharp, and altough lacking natural camouphlage they are experts at moving silently and staying out of view of other creatures.

Fortunetely, Kython's didn't inherit any of the arcane abilities of their creators and they can't do magic of any kind. Unfortenetely, they developed the ability of growing weapons from their own body. This process takes several hours, and the weapon can normally be concealed as part of their scales when not used. They include crude but effective blades, tubes wich spit acid at range, or simply ticker scales for better protection The process demands a considerable amount of food so few kythons have more than one, and most don't have one at all.

Thus kythons normally rely on their sharp claws and teeths to attack. Adult kythons are experts at attacking with multiple limbs thus it is strongly advised to keep out of close reach at all costs. Their bites deliver a powerfull strenght saping toxin.

Most recently, tales have started to come out of Kythons learning how to use manufactured tools and even how to build traps to protect their nests.

Lore
    Spoiler
    Show

Kythongs are born from small fist sized eggs, from wich emerges an hungry broodling whitout arms. As the creature feeds, they grow quickly and develop the extra arms, passing trough a juvenile state untill they reach adulthood. If it finds enough food, a kythong may become an adult in a matter of days, but if it is scarce it may remain in juvenile state for months or even years.

Adults are normally the most common in a Kython comunity, geting food and protecting the young. Kythons are indcredibly civilized towards each other and almost always work togheter for a common goal. However, any other species are food to be eaten or enemies to hide from. Unlike fiends, Kythons don't hold any kind of relationship with other species more complex than "kill or be killed". Kythons also don't hesitate to sacrifice each other if that means reaching a goal for the "greater good".

For still unknown reasons, some adult kythons grow to stronger more dangerous forms wich the other nearby normal kython follow.

There isn't a standard nest structure for kythons. They normally take the habitations of whoever they slay, acumulate bodies in the safest room and lay eggs somewhere else nearby to grow more of them.

For good and bad, Kythons have no sense of containment, so even if they multiply incredibly fast and can easily overrun any community in a matter of some months, this will normally make them starve to death as they destroy all sources of nearby food. Scholars point to several civilizations wich may have been destroyed by kython invasions. Other luckier civilizations managed to find and destroy those infestations before they ran out of control, but the Kythons were normally identified as other monsters, or simply not identified at all.

Kythons activity was greatly reduced on the last millenia thanks to the expansion of the civilized races wich could better fight them back. However, some individuals see the Kython as a powerfull resource waiting to be harvested. Kython eggs captured by adventurers have been traficked for centuries in black markets, sold to wizards and other wich wanted to study their amazing capacities. As far as anyone knows, still nobody managed find a use for those aberrations besides being living multiplying weapons wich hurt the user as much as everyone else.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcutio

"No, why do you ask?"
    The halfling makes a sweeping gesture with his hand, pulling at the closest figure, trying to grasp the strands of fate.
    At the same time, he uses his other hand to send a flaming ray at the two creatures in the doorway, trying to trip up the closest creature while still stealing it's luck.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Init:(1d20+4)[9]
    Lucksteal F14: Will vs. 20 or -2 on saves, checks and attacks.
    Scorching Ray F+E14: Touch1 (1d20+10)[29]
    Touch2 (1d20+10)[26]
    Damage1 (4d6)[5]
    Damage2 (4d6)[14]

Knowledge: Arcana: (1d20+13)[32]
    Knowledge: History: (1d20+7)[27]
    Knowledge: Dungeoneering: (1d20+3)[22]
    Bardic Know: [1d20+9[/roll]

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Elail

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+4)[11]

I can't beat their 26, so I'll just roll now and have my action up as quickly as possible

Maneuvers:
    1 - Foehammer
    2 - Battle Leader's Charge
    3 - Revitalizing Strike
    4 - Divine Strike
    5 - White Raven Strike

(1d5)[4](1d4)[4](1d3)[3]

After a maneuver is granted it'll be taken out of the possible draws and the numbers below it will move up.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2009-01-12 at 11:05 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Faolan

Seeing the dragon get attacked by the kythons Faolan lets out a snarl and begins to rain blows upon the creatures. The mass of shadows rises slightly into the air and moves like a blur across the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    1st (non-surprise) round actions-
    taking to the air (not acually moving up a square unless the ceiling is high enough for that)

utilizing my improved spring attack to attack the kythons surrounding the dragon, will continue to attack the same one (I8) unless it drops. If it drops then any remaining attacks go to the beastie at K8. After attacks have been completed moving to square K11.

Main hand attacks- (1d20+20)[37]
    (1d20+15)[30]

Main hand damage- (1d4+22)[26] + (4d6)[11]
    (1d4+22)[24] + (4d6)[20]

Off hand attacks- (1d20+20)[38]
    (1d20+15)[26]

Off hand damage- (1d4+18)[22] + (4d6)[13]
    (1d4+18)[19] + (4d6)[13]

(favored enemy + skirmish for the win)

in case I read something wrong and do need to make a tumble check to avoid attacks of oppurtunity after all- (1d20+17)[20]

my AC becomes 34 (38 against attacks of oppurtunity and +1 against the enemy in k8)
    Last edited by sidhe_blooded; 2009-01-12 at 11:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    critical confirmation rolls for main hand attacks- (1d20+20)[39]
    (1d20+15)[34]

critical confirmation roll for first off hand attack- (1d20+20)[28]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Elail

Elail's "hand" grip around his lance as the beasts emerge from their hiding place. He tries to stay ready, waiting for any of them the just try and rush him, dropping their guard. A quick resonance can be heard around him as the monster's movements become a bi clearer in his eyes.

Assuming he's capable, Elail tries to drive his lance into the closest beast. The weapon seems to crackle, slowly at first, until an almost thunderous boom echoes from it at the peak of it's attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to the Steadfast boots, Elail's weapon is always considered readied against a charge. If one of the creatures were to charge him, it would have to swallow an attack at +19 dealing 2d8+22 damage.

He'll spend a swift action using defensive precognition, for +1 AC and Saves. His move action would take Elail to the closest enemy possible, there he'll attack with the Divine Surge maneuver.

Attack (1d20+16)[22] (Power Attack -3)
    Damage (1d8+17)[22] + (8d8)[35]

HP 80
    AC 26

If I could make a suggestion, I don't think anyone beat the beasties in Initiative. Could you resolve this round and start the next with the monster's actions already decided? That way we'll be able to use the map for movement and such, since the things will stay still.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2009-01-12 at 11:40 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

If someone could make time go slower, they would see Faolan leap inside the kitchen with a series of acrobacies and delivering a series of powerfull blows at the weak joints between the Kython's plates. With each blow delivered by the kurkis however green acidic blood gushes out, dissolving Faolan's skin. Thankfully the monster's wounds are too griveous and it quickly falls on the floor, no longer a menace.

Faolan them switches to the other Kython on the room and delivers a new flurry of blows while moving around it but fails to take this one down, while being burned by more acidic blood.

The kythons then make their move. The already hurted swipes and bites madly at Faolan, identifying it as a major threat but fails to overcome the gracefull defense of the dhampnir.

It's partners on the other room are more lucky however. One jumps at Vaile and uses the momentum to deliver a powerfull bite wich injects more poison on the dragon. The other one skillfully moves just around Elail's spear reach and bites the much softer looking halfling at the door step.

Vaile, unable to exit the room, steps back and shoots a pair of firey bolts at the already hurted Kython, making it explode in pieces.

Elail tries to attack the Kython attacking Marcutio, but his lance fails to overcome the tick bone platings. The hafling bard gets more near his armored friend and then shoots firey bolts of his own at the Kythong attacking him while cursing it's luck. The monster doesn't seem to bothered by the curse, but the bolts make it release a scream of pain as it's flesh burns.

Situation:
    Spoiler
    Show

Due to the Kythons new positions, I had to change some movements. If someone disagrees with their positions say so.

Damages:
    Spoiler
    Show

Faolan takes 28 acid damage from the acidic blood spraying.
    Vaile takes more 33 damage and new save against poison.
    Marcutio takes 15 damage and save against poison(Fort 18, 1d6 strenght, 1d6 strenght)

Kython at J9 unhurt. The other one took Marcutio's firebolts but made the save against lucksteal.

Faolan:
    Spoiler
    Show

Improved spring attack means you don't provoke AoOs from the guy you're attacking only. So you needed a tumble check to avoid the AoOs from the other nearby Kython. And tumble makes you move at half speed, so you couldn't get out of the ktichen after unleashing the attacks.

Marcutio:
    Spoiler
    Show

Your knowledge checks reveals everything that was revealed to the other players, plus that Kythons are actually constantly evolving and developing new capacities, plus being able to assimilate other species characteristics by eating them. You also get the information of some known surviving Kython colonies in Eberron, altough none of them are suposed to be in Stormreach or nearby.

Turn 1 end
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-01-13 at 04:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Faolan

Faolan growls in frustration as the acid eats into his skin, shaking his head to maintain his focus.

But as soon as the acid becomes inert the burns begin healing and Faolan launches himself at the creatures, gritting his teeth as the new spurts of acid eat into his flesh.

Spoiler
    Show
    round 2 actions:

move to and attack the kython at L15, if it drops then attacking the one at J9.

main hand attacks- (1d20+20)[29]
    (1d20+15)[16]

main hand damage- (1d4+22)[26] + (4d6)[14]
    (1d4+22)[25] + (4d6)[9]

off hand attacks- (1d20+20)[38]
    (1d20+15)[34]

off hand damage- (1d4+18)[21] + (4d6)[7]
    (1d4+18)[19] + (4d6)[15]

any crit confirmation rolls needed- (1d20+20)[27]
    (1d20+15)[25]
    (1d20+20)[29]
    (1d20+15)[32]

AC is 34 for the round (35 against Kython at J9)

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow. That must've been a critical. I hate those. Anyhow, here's another save!(1d20+7)[14]and in the eventuality of a fail (1d6)[1]. I'll put the rolls in the OOC.

Vaine hisses at the thing, knowing that he's hurt-badly. In a desperate attempt, relying on animalistic fury to get him out, he flings himself at the monster, unleashing a flurry of blows.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2009-01-13 at 07:57 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Faolan kukris slash the burned Kython. His second blow misses miserably, but the third attack stucks the blade in the Kython's throat, finishing it, but releasing a new gush of acid at Faolan. This however doesn't stop the agile fighter, wich turns and flies to the last Kythin, delivering one last blow to the back of the creature. The kukri goes deep into the monster's flesh, but the Kython holds on.

The monster groans in pain, and then it sudenly runs away trough the main room, sliping trough Faolan's kukris at incredible speed. It circles the room and does it's best to keep away from Elail's spear, and then goes out the door to the outside, desesperately trying to escape, geting inside the crusader's reach for some moments.

(Last kython running away at Q14. Elail may make up to two AoOs at it, if he has some way to make more than one Aoo per turn)
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-01-13 at 07:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Elail

Rebounding from his strike, Elail tries to get a good hit on the fleeing Kython. Judging from the past lunge, his simply wants it to land.

If his attempt isn't enough to stop it, Elail follows in close pursuit. Running past it he shift his stand so as to let him act against the slightest movement. Not intent in giving him the chance, however, his lunge tries to surprise it, to make it drop its guard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Granted: (1d2)[2]

AoO: (1d20+16)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+11)[12]

He moves to S14, a 50ft speed is enough to have most of this movement be in column 15, avoiding any AoOs. He'll also go into the Thicket of Blades stance, which makes 5ft steps provoke and may or may not beat Tumble. Once there, he'll hit it with a White Raven Strike

Attack: (1d20+19)[27]
    Damage: (1d8+11)[18] + (4d6)[13] + Made flat-footed

30. - Top - End - #60

The Kython dodges the first blow of the spear as it runs trough the door, but then Elail gives hunt, and it impales the monster by the back as it tries to run away.

(Last Kython dead, battle finished. 1200 exp for everybody. Decide what to do. Poisoned characters must make second save against poison)