New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Help Fixing Oblivion

I was recently struck by boredom at about 3am. With nothing else to do, I dug through some of my old games, looking for something to instal on my new(ish) computer.
    I found Oblivion, and rejoiced.
    Then it crashed, again and again.
    The game runs perfectly fine all through the intro section, right up until after the Emperor kicks it and I try to enter the sewers, as soon as I opt to go through the hatch downward the game immediately crashes.
    My Google-fu has not found any case like this, and I've tried everything I can think of. (Running as administrator, Changing up the graphics, Running in compatibility mode.)

I don't know the specifics of my computer, nor how to look it up. But it is a 2008 laptop with Vista and Integrated graphics.
    Help?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Help Fixing Oblivion

Install an alternate start mod? Not very helpful, I know, but I have no idea what else it could be. Try typing coc TestingHall into the console, then fast travel to somewhere else. See if it crashes upon entering any cell, or just the sewers.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

It takes me into the testing hall just fine, but when I try to leave I get the same crash.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by detrevnisisiht View Post
    I was recently struck by boredom at about 3am. With nothing else to do, I dug through some of my old games, looking for something to instal on my new(ish) computer.
    I found Oblivion, and rejoiced.
    Then it crashed, again and again.
    The game runs perfectly fine all through the intro section, right up until after the Emperor kicks it and I try to enter the sewers, as soon as I opt to go through the hatch downward the game immediately crashes.
    My Google-fu has not found any case like this, and I've tried everything I can think of. (Running as administrator, Changing up the graphics, Running in compatibility mode.)

I don't know the specifics of my computer, nor how to look it up. But it is a 2008 laptop with Vista and Integrated graphics.
    Help?

Reinstall it? Install it with adminmode...
    Install the Oblivion Fan Patch, it solves around 2000 bugs/crashs.... maybe yours too.

Save before the hatch, reboot your PC enter the hatch. If its still crashing pobaly no hardware error.

Do you have the optimal requirements for windows vista? Yes Vista likes to crash if it has insufficiant ressources.
    But for me Oblivion runs perfectly fine on Vista 64bit.

Ask someone to send you a savegame after the hatch, maybe this workaround helps.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bouregard View Post
    Reinstall it?
    Tried that several times.
    Install it with adminmode...
    Tried
    Install the Oblivion Fan Patch, it solves around 2000 bugs/crashs.... maybe yours too.
    Link?

Save before the hatch, reboot your PC enter the hatch. If its still crashing pobaly no hardware error.
    Done to hell and back

Do you have the optimal requirements for windows vista? Yes Vista likes to crash if it has insufficiant ressources.
    Again, have no idea what these are or how to find if i have them

Ask someone to send you a savegame after the hatch, maybe this workaround helps.
    Maybe, but seeing as how trying to leave from the testing hall crashes the game as well I doubt this would help.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Fixing Oblivion?

I'm as much of an Elder Scrolls fan as anyone, friend, but if you're looking to purge the bugs from Oblivion I recommend a blowtorch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    Fixing Oblivion?

I'm as much of an Elder Scrolls fan as anyone, friend, but if you're looking to purge the bugs from Oblivion I recommend a blowtorch.
    While this is true, at least normally the game could be called functional with the proper mods, this one isn't working at all.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is not a (Bump)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

While I don't know the answer, you could try asking at http://forums.uesp.net
    Some people there know everything about the Elder Scrolls games. I'm not even joking...
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by detrevnisisiht View Post
    But it is a 2008 laptop with Vista and Integrated graphics.
    Help?
    That would be your problem. Integrated graphics are one of the great gaming evils, right up there with out of date drivers. Incidentally, are your drivers out of date? To check that you need to find out who manufactured them. I know this works in XP, don't know about Vista- but go to Start -> Run, and type 'dxdiag' (sans quotes). Follow the instructions, and it should show you your chipset type and manufacturer. Then just go to their website and search around.

Once you've tried that, your best bet is probably to download a savegame that starts you just at the end of the sewers, such as this one. You'll miss out on a bit of plot

Alternatively you could try Oldblivion. It almost certainly doesn't explicitly support your graphics card, but it can't hurt, although back when I used it, it made some things look really, really funky and still tended to crash fairly often.

Hope that helps.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes4Mod:Uno...Oblivion_Patch

inofficial Oblivion Patch.... fixes loads of problems, you shoudl try it, also this side may have some hints for you.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Some of which are fun to exploit and will be missed if you download it.

I also looked on the ES Wiki once and noticed that this patched "fixed" a few things that seemed a lot more like design choices than bugs.