Slate Slabrock

"Slate Slabrock wonders what Slate Slabrock'll see t' th' north."

Spoiler
    Show
    I hate to break it to you Brom, but twain is a number

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: World of Strange Magics IC1

And what to Slate's roving eyes did appear, but a corridor, going north another thirty feet. On the east wall, there is another door, and two passages lead off to the west, one only ten feet from him, and another at the end of the hall.

This far into the tower, the only light available is from the lantern. The winds from outside do not make it this far, and the only sounds are the grinding and clanking of various armors as you all move forwards.

Spoiler
    Show
    Map updated.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2009-01-21 at 12:28 AM.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Slate Slabrock

"Th' hallway keeps goin' another ten yards. Slate Slabrock can see two other hallways goin' t' th' left, an' a room just up ahead t' th' right. Slate Slabrock says you an' Slate Slabrock oughta go into th' room first."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Shimmer

"Sounds like a plan. Just give me a moment."

Shimmer briefly relieves Kasimir of the lantern, and shines it down the passages to the north and west as she approaches the door. If all seems quiet, she checks the door over before stepping back.

"Have at her, Slate. Or Kiris. Whatever."

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course she doesn't say the last part if she finds anything nasty as she Searches (1d20+12)[25] and listens at (1d20+2)[8] the door.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #95

Kobold

Slate Slabrock

Slate walked up to the door and put his hand on the knob. He turned his head toward Kiris. "O.K. Blubberin' Boy, now Slate Slabrock'll show you how a real hero opens a door." Slate then readied his Maul in his right hand as he opened the door with his left, bracing himself for whatever might be on the other side.

Spoiler
    Show
    Brom, I suggest you start reading the OOC threads that go with any of the campaigns you're in. They can prove to be quite helpful.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Rhapsody

Rhapsody tried looking around the other party members to see into the room.

"What is in there? Anything dangerous? Anything interesting?"

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

The real hero, Slate Slabrock, opens the door. To his darkvision, he sees several things. The first thing he notices is that this is probably one of the largest rooms you've all been in so far.

The second thing he notices is the rather large stone bolt that is being shot at his face from, again, a rather large ballista. Knocked on it's back from behind the ballista is a small scaly creature, and it's rather stunned, although a gutteral chittering seems to be coming from it, and also from inside the rest of the room.

Shimmer and Kasimir
    Spoiler
    Show

You recognize it as Draconic. There is one voice shouting about that hurting, and then several others yelling to get up.

Combat:
    Spoiler
    Show

Init: (1d20+1)[7]

Please everyone roll their init in spoilers, and post away. Don't wait on others to post in their order, I'll make sense of it afterwards.

The ballista bolt at Slate:
    Attack: (1d20+5)[7]
    Damage: (3d8)[11]

Slate is the only one able to see into the room, as the lantern isn't close enough to the room to be shined in. Shimmer currently has control of it, and is pointing it southward, and every does however see a very large piece of sharpened stone fly out of the room and into Slate.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Shimmer

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, sorry. I didn't realize it was a bullseye lantern.

It's going to be hard to post actions without knowing what we see in the room, Lochar. If I need to, I'll delay until later in the round when I have that information.

Initiative: (1d20+2)[15]

Whirling at the big "twanging" sound (with the lantern following suit), Shimmer shines the light into the room with the ballista.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #99

Kobold

Slate Slabrock
    HP 39/39, Initiative (See Spoiler)
    AC 21, Touch 11, Flat Footed 21

Immediately upon seeing the bolt fly off in some direction that was only remotely towards him, Slate cast Bless to bolster his allies in their fight against their obviously inept foes. "Alright lads, it's time for you an' Slate Slabrock to do some real heroin'!" Slate then grabbed his maul with both hands as he rain in to the door and quickly turned to the left, so that he could make room for the other heroes to enter the fray.

Spoiler
    Show
    Firstly, I'd like to point out that Slate is using hero as a verb, not suggesting we all use heroin. Secondly, I'd like to remind everyone that Bless grants everyone +1 to hit and +1 on saves verses Fear effects for the next five minutes. Also, with my Initiative roll:

Initiative: (1d20)[5]

On an unrelated note, I'll be house-sitting for someone for the next couple of days, so I'll have slow internet and no access to any of my books. I'll still probably be able to post, just not quite as well.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathgar View Post
    Firstly, I'd like to point out that Slate is using hero as a verb, not suggesting we all use heroin.
    Thank goodness! I don't think Shimmer has enough to share.

What? You think she's this mellow by nature?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Shimmer

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, sorry. I didn't realize it was a bullseye lantern.

It's going to be hard to post actions without knowing what we see in the room, Lochar. If I need to, I'll delay until later in the round when I have that information.

Initiative: [roll0]
    OOC All:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, it's a hooded lantern, which I mistook for having the effect of a bullseye until I just looked it up. Stupid name. :P

Shimmer will still need to get more or less into the room however to provide light for everyone to see that isn't shadowy. Walls will block bright illumination.

Don't be stupid.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Rhapsody

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (d20+3)[21]

I don't know what is up with the light situation so I am assuming my character can not see and she will not act until she can.

"I wish I could see more of what is going on. Shimmer since you are holding the lantern I think you get first dibs on this room. Enjoy."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

The light situation is shadowy illumination in the southwest corner of the room, not enough to see until the light is brought from around the corner.

Everyone delaying until Shimmer is able to step forward and bring light to the situation, she does so, and reveals the room.

There are seven kobolds in the room, one of them lying on it's back having been thrown that way from the ballista. Three of the closest ones hold small bladed weapons, while the three further away hold what appear to be crossbows.

The seventh, stunned one, has a bladed weapon lying next to the ballista.

Spoiler
    Show
    Map's been updated since yesterday. *shrug* Where on the map do you want to step forward to, Shimmer?

Don't be stupid.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for not posting for so long- didn't have much to say.
    Anyhoo.
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[11]
    CL check for precocious apprentice:(1d20+5)[8]
    And summoning fiendish dire rats. (1d3)[3]

Kasimir watches the bolt as it sails by, then turns back to the dark room. He calls on the demons he had served to aid him, hoping he would get what he desired.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Shimmer

Shimmer sidles along the side wall of the chamber, allowing the more violently-tempered members of the group a free path through the door way.

"Don't be stupid, guys. You're trapped in here. Surrender and you don't have to die."

Unless there is some immediate seeing of the light among the kobolds, Shimmer sets the lantern down and whips off a spell. A golden spark streaks across the room, exploding in a cloud of sparkling dust.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, Lochar - didn't think to check the map.

She'll finish her move action by shifting to the square north of the doorway inside the chamber.
    Standard action - casting Glitterdust, although she's using False Theurgy to make it look like she was casting Minor Image. Centred on the kobold standing in square D2, if we treat the room like a spreadsheet (sorry. You know you've been at work too long when...) Will save DC 16.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Saves, 16 or better required: (7d20)[15][4][4][6][5][15][1](50)

The three kobolds in the dust all howl as they are blinded by the dust.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2009-01-22 at 08:47 PM.

Don't be stupid.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Rhapsody

Spoiler
    Show
    Rhapsody will move up to the closest Kobold and attack. I should still be carrying my great sword so I will attack with that.

Roll for Attack: (d20+9)[19]
    Damage: (2d6+5)[13]

"Great I can see inside! These guys don't look that tough. Time to show them what I can do."

Rhapsody walked up to the Kobold and sliced him with her sword.
    Last edited by Siren; 2009-01-22 at 11:05 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show
    My position should be D1, by Battleship standards (you know you've been playing board games too long when...)

19. - Top - End - #109

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Apologies for being gone. I didn't have computer access for a few days.

Seeing foes suddenly outlined in Glitterdust, Kiris grinned and stepped forward, coming in for the kill with his Halberd.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure how you are handling taking actions in your game. In one game that I'm in, you state your action and it gets taken when your Initiative comes up. That said:

Initiative: (1d20+3)[21]
    Attack: Gonna power attack 3 points so (1d20+8)[19]
    If hit: Damage (1d10+13)[16]

I have great cleave. And I'm doing this from 15 feet away (long reach feat.)

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

After Shimmer goes into the room, Rhapsody steps in behind her and strikes down one kobold.

And then Kiris enters and kills the rest of them.

There are now seven dead kobolds in the room, and Shimmer has been proven a liar, as they didn't even get a chance to surrender.

Don't be stupid.

21. - Top - End - #111

PaladinGuy

Kiris

"Sorry about that. Hell, they probably didn't even understand that you were offering surrender."

Kiris did a double take.

[color=sienna]"Wait, did I just apologize for putting my Halberd through six Kobolds? What the hell?!"

Angrily, he looked at Shimmer. "What else does that dust do? Is it dangerous to your brain if you somehow end up inhaling it? Since when do I apologize for thwacking 'boldies? I just hope Dakku is understanding of this frightening new development."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Rhapsody

Rhapsody looked around the room after killing her Kobold.

"Good that was nice and quick. You seem like you are handy to have around, for now. Also I don't think their dead bodies can hear your apology anyway."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Shimmer

Shimmer tilts her head to one side as Kiris rambles through his strange tirade and question.

I wouldn't worry too much, Kiris. Most of my magic is only really effective against those with -

She stops abruptly, grimacing. Then shifts abruptly to a smile again.

There's no way that a few simple kobolds would have had the temerity to set up in this holy place on their own. Which suggests that they're part of a much larger force. Which we might be able to find out something about, if all seven of them weren't, you know. Dead."

Sighing, she began a systematic search of the room's perimeter. Dipping a hand into her bag, she draws out a small stone glowing with a flickering light, the better to aid in her examinations.

"Slate, maybe you could take a look at that ballista? See if it's ancient, or something new that the, ah, 'boldies' might have put in place. If they've entered and set up seige equipment, they're here for the long term."

Spoiler
    Show
    Searching for further traps or other irregularities in the room. (1d20+12)[14]

Also, if Kasimir wants to take possession of the lantern again, I've just realized that I've got my own continual light-thing.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Shimmer:
    Spoiler
    Show

There is another small hole in the southeast corner, near where the kobold had fallen when it launched the ballista.

Other than that, you'll only find things on the bodies of the kobolds. Three small light crossbows, four small shortswords. They wore no armor, and carried no other items.

Don't be stupid.

25. - Top - End - #115

PaladinGuy

Kiris gave a rapt tactical assessment.

"These things are dug in deep. They've got the tunnels -- that's what I think those small holes are -- plus the ballista...but more worrisome than that is that they have mats and holy places. Any good military task force is going to bring in heavy weapons as soon as they can to fortify their hold, but when they start setting up MATS, they've been there too damn long and whatever passes for procurement has long ago covered all other needs. Frankly, I'm surprised they don't have advanced alarm and sentry systems."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Rhapsody

Rhapsody shrugged her shoulders.

"Well we already knew that they had holes in the walls and that they most likely knew we were coming. We are just going to have to be careful. At least this has given us a better idea of what to expect. I guess next time whoever opens the door should stay out of the doorway for a minute in case they shoot something off."

27. - Top - End - #117

Kobold

Slate Slabrock

Spoiler
    Show
    For the purpose of role playing, I am going to say that one of the kobolds was killed by Slate Slabrock.

Slate wiped the blood off of his maul. "I hope you learned how a real hero opens th' door, Blubberin' Boy. Th' kobolds're so shaken by Slate Slabrock's heroness that they couldn't hit Slate Slabrock with th' big bolt thrower o' theirs. Then Slate Slabrock splattered one o' their head with this huge piece o' granite. You wouldn't've hit any o' them if Slate Slabrock hadn't Blessed you."

28. - Top - End - #118

PaladinGuy

Kiris rolled his eyes.

"I hope you learned how a real hero FIGHTS. You got one. I nabbed five. In one swing. While reaching across the room. Without darkvision using nothing but the color of dancing silhouettes caused by glitterdust. I think you should stow it for a bit, shortstock."

29. - Top - End - #119

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    The ironic thing about that statement was that I didn't even add your Bless bonus to damage or to hit. I remembered after posting and then figured that, between the fact these were Kobolds, my Halberd owns large groups of poorly armored humanoids, and my initiative roll, it wouldn't matter. =D

30. - Top - End - #120

Kobold

Slate Slabrock

"Hold on, Blubberin' Boy, when'd you learn t' change your accents so well?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Brom, I may be mistaken, but I think you're supposed to keep the same color. Honestly, I liked seeing Sienna getting used. It never gets any love.