New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Leveling up (character growth)

So, which characters have grown in the course of the story, have in some ways surpassed their original weaknesses?

Name: Lord Stanley the Tool (nee Plaid)
    Stated weaknesses: Strategy, Critical Thinking, Human Resource Management
    Possible changes: He's at least been exposed to sophisticated strategic thinking, even if it didn't take.

Name: Wanda Firebaugh
    Stated weaknesses: Enthusiasm, Sense of Humor, Capacity for Hope
    Possible changes: She did tell the "we have a small army" joke; I think that Parson did instill in her some hope, hence her bitterness now.

Name: Prince Ansom
    Stated weaknesses: Caution, Humility, Ability to Seal the Deal
    Possible changes: He still takes big risks despite the nearly-disastrous results of his recklessness. He did "seal the deal," though.

Name: Jillian Zamussels
    Stated weaknesses: Manners, Subtlety, Knowing What She Wants
    Possible changes: We now know that the was a royal and probably could evince better manners if she chooses to do so; she's about as subtle as her enormous sword; she does now know what she wants, which is Ansom.

Name: Sizemore Rockwell
    Stated weaknesses: Assertiveness, Confidence, Effectiveness
    Possible changes: A real success story; he has proven effective several times over; he has stood up to Wanda and to Parson; and I have to think the respect Parson has shown him as well as his recent actions under Parson have been good for his self-confidence.

Name: Bogroll
    Possible changes: Stated weaknesses: Guile, Comprehension, Personal Hygiene
    I still wonder how bad his hygiene can really be if everyone automatically bathes at the start of turn.

Name: The Arkenhammer
    Stated weaknesses: Inconspicuousness, Clarity of Purpose, Taste in Friends
    Possible changes: Is still firmly in Stanley's hands.
    Quo vadis?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Leveling up (character growth)

I... dunno so much about Ansom's ability to seal the deal. His talk with Jillian later showed that he was still oblivious to her nature and feelings, which could harm a future relationship. And on the war side, he still hasn't managed to capture Goblin Knob, and probably won't. The only deal he's sealed is Charlie's, which will probably boop him in the end.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Stanley has shown at least a little improvement in human resource management in his interactions with Jack; after being forced to actually see Jack's state, he seems to have at least some hints of genuine regret and guilt for what happened beyond the fact that it inconvenienced him personally.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    Name: Prince Ansom
    Stated weaknesses: Caution, Humility, Ability to Seal the Deal
    Possible changes: He still takes big risks despite the nearly-disastrous results of his recklessness. He did "seal the deal," though.
    Ahem, 'seal the deal' isn't really accurate between Ansom and Jillian. The 'deal' that is being referenced in that phrase is marriage(or I suppose to some, 'steady'). Ansom has not made any such deal with Jillian, so there was no 'deal' there to 'seal'.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Ahem, 'seal the deal' isn't really accurate between Ansom and Jillian. The 'deal' that is being referenced in that phrase is marriage(or I suppose to some, 'steady'). Ansom has not made any such deal with Jillian, so there was no 'deal' there to 'seal'.
    I guess some people have loftier expectations than others. We don't even know that there is marriage in Erf.
    Quo vadis?

6. - Top - End - #6

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    I guess some people have loftier expectations than others. We don't even know that there is marriage in Erf.
    Ceremonially, we have no idea, but there's no indication that they can't simply decide to be monogamous, which, with the right amount of emphasis, is just as meaningful.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by quindraco View Post
    Ceremonially, we have no idea, but there's no indication that they can't simply decide to be monogamous, which, with the right amount of emphasis, is just as meaningful.
    All I'm trying to do is suggest that one can say that Ansom did "seal" the deal.
    Quo vadis?