New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

cool Someone is Wrong on the Internet... But Let's Relax

Ever feel like this?

So, here's to trying out a thread for just calming down, having no arguments, and generally having a place to relax. Feel free to talk about your stress, what fun things you are planning on doing later, and what you wish you were doing. Sharing techniques that you find help you calm down, or just amusing anecdotes to brighten people's days are also welcome. The only thing I ask that people not discuss is the specifics of "This person was wrong on the internet here and this is why it made me upset": That will likely only lead to more stress, which is not what we need.

I shall begin:

I get too wound up in caring how other people think games should be run, even though I know the people I play with are very happy with my interpretation, and what I should be worrying about is how to better optimize their opponents and weave plots! In a hour, though, I shall watch the last episode of Firefly with a friend, which should be fun (though sad, since it is the last episode). I wish that I had some ice cream right now, as that almost always makes me feel better and calmer.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: Someone is Wrong on the Internet... But Let's Relax

Yeah. I've done that. I might type some stuff to get a jab in. Still, I've seen people at the internet cafe throw keyboards across the room because somebody on the game server owned them. That's extreme.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Queenfange View Post
    Ever feel like this?

So, here's to trying out a thread for just calming down, having no arguments, and generally having a place to relax. Feel free to talk about your stress, what fun things you are planning on doing later, and what you wish you were doing. Sharing techniques that you find help you calm down, or just amusing anecdotes to brighten people's days are also welcome. The only thing I ask that people not discuss is the specifics of "This person was wrong on the internet here and this is why it made me upset": That will likely only lead to more stress, which is not what we need.

I shall begin:

I get too wound up in caring how other people think games should be run, even though I know the people I play with are very happy with my interpretation, and what I should be worrying about is how to better optimize their opponents and weave plots! In a hour, though, I shall watch the last episode of Firefly with a friend, which should be fun (though sad, since it is the last episode). I wish that I had some ice cream right now, as that almost always makes me feel better and calmer.
    Your wrong. The internet is precisely the place to have petty arguments, all the time, and everywhere, and you're a poopy-head who makes me rage for saying otherwise.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate Scribe View Post
    Your wrong. The internet is precisely the place to have petty arguments, all the time, and everywhere, and you're a poopy-head who makes me rage for saying otherwise.
    I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or correct your grammar.

@ Canadian: Welcome! Indeed, that is extreme. Some gamers take their games ridiculously seriously...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, I get that a lot. Too much really. I'm trying to find ways to cope. That is, don't get riled up about it or avoid exposure to stuff that gets me in that way.

I get it a lot in forums. I get it a lot here, since it's one of the forums I read most. The fact that I don't agree with a lot of stuff that happens here is the main cause of me not posting a lot. And on the other hand, I feel that the same fact means that this is not a place I should be.

I try to be open minded. But then stuff gets to me in a way I can't handle, which results in me getting angry and lashing out, and in a general bad mood.

To relate to the OP, one of the topics that irritates me most is D&D and the differences in playing/running style, and above all the edition wars between 3.5 and 4e. I'm partial to 4e, so it's hard for me being in a minority.

Then again, I do have a tendency to "take the less travelld path" in regards to my tastes and opinions. Which makes it all worse. It's not something I do on purpose, it's just something that's part of me and has to do with who I am.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Why you laugh at me?

Also, its silly to correct people's grammar.

7. - Top - End - #7

Why you laugh at me?

Also, its silly to correct people's grammar.
    I realize that you are trying to be amusing, but honestly this is just making me stressed again, considering this is similar to how many arguments start, so I hope you'll forgive me if I don't continue this banter.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

That's true... The grammar shot was sarcastic. Pointing out that their spelling or grammar is "wrong" goes against the very spirit of this thread, even as a joke. As does what I have just typed.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

This was a good, interesting topic about something that affects me personally and I think that others too. Please take it seriously and don't derail it.

Don't give me more reasons to think that it's no use trying to talk on forums than I already have.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

Forum discussion usually results in frustration because people don't discuss flat facts. There's no reason to discuss something that everyone knows and agrees upon. You can't really have a discussion without disagreement.

People discuss things that can't be proven, opinions, nuances. People also tend to have an agenda that take precedence over the topic at hand. It's very North American to embrace the concept that an argument can be "won" or lost.

People try to steer the conversation in a direction that will ensure a "win" even if it does not add to the discussion at hand. If someone sees that they are "losing" the discussion they turn to emotional prodding to obtain a different kind of victory.

Can anyone ever "win" at the internet?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

And that, my friends, is the problem. A single post written that's dripping in errors, is silly and petty to the extent that you know it's written in jest - well, there's some quality to the internet that magnifies those things (go to any Youtube comments section and you'll see what I'm saying), and the best course of action is to take a more laidback and relaxed attitude to it. Like here:

This was a good, interesting topic about something that affects me personally and I think that others too. Please take it seriously and don't derail it.
    If this sort of thing is affecting you personally, then I think that suggests a superfluity of

Forum discussion usually results in frustration because people don't discuss flat facts. There's no reason to discuss something that everyone knows and agrees upon. You can't really have a discussion without disagreement. People discuss things that can't be proven, opinions, nuances. People also tend to have an agenda that take precedence over the topic at hand.
    Believe me, people on the internet can and will discuss flat facts, and other utterly weird, crazy topics - indeed, I recently viewed a severely heated debate as to who would make the better rapper - Sonic or Mario. So yeah, the net's a weird place.

It's very North American to embrace the concept that an argument can be "won" or lost.

Depends on one's definition of 'win', just as with arguments. I could be very persuasive and connive the Playground into thinking that 2+2=5 - if they had been shifted to my position via my sophistry, then I would have 'won' the argument, but by using some severely dodgy measures - would that count as 'winning'?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

I don't know...

Why don't you open up a 2+2=5 thread and let me know.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I certainly haven't seen enough MATHEMATICS! compared to SCIENCE! threads ...

... but it was a hypothetical scenario. You know what I mean vis a vis 2+2=5.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

If this sort of thing is affecting you personally, then I think that suggests a superfluity of
    Please do go on.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Curses - my propensity to idly graze through the posts I am replying to, and not actually finish what I'm typing, strikes again. Let's try again:

If this sort of thing is affecting you personally, then I think that suggests a superfluity of involvement with what's happening. It's all too easy - and I speak from personal experience - to get caught up in things personally, and lose perspective. Just my $0.02, and probably worthless as a result.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
    If hilarity ensues, "win" is accomplished.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Curses - my propensity to idly graze through the posts I am replying to, and not actually finish what I'm typing, strikes again. Let's try again:
    Heh, happens to me too :)

If this sort of thing is affecting you personally, then I think that suggests a superfluity of involvement with what's happening. It's all too easy - and I speak from personal experience - to get caught up in things personally, and lose perspective. Just my $0.02, and probably worthless as a result.
    Sure, that is exactly what I meant in my post. There is though, a tension between trying to explain one's subjective opinion and on the other hand trying to be detached and objective about it. It's a difficult balance to achieve. If I didn't care about what I post, I certainly wouldn't do it.

But you're right, one must be the one in control, and not let yourself get too much into it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Well, if you really think that way, then I'm afraid the gnome in your apple's nostril will

Lighten up, guys. Illiterate Scribe was just joking with his first post (and I thought it was mildly entertaining), and you all seem to be taking it seriously. I know, I know, this is the "internet" and all that, but a tongue smiley still doesn't have to be placed after every non-serious comment, right?

Right?

Also I find the content of this thread remarkably ironic given the first post.

Honestly? I enjoy a good argument every once in a while. Maybe that's just me, but I think it's fun. Of course, that doesn't mean that you should be a jerk all the time and never respect other people's opinions, but there's nothing inherently wrong with sharing your ideas with others and asking them to clarify theirs.

Also, brought to you from your local random banter. A surefire way to relax:

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    @Wolfbane: Ahh, relaxing. My favorite thing to do to relax is lie down on the grass, listen to Iron & Wine, and play Tetris. Too bad it's so cold out now.

Hey, I should start a Tetris commune! Who's with me?
    Last edited by Sneak; 2009-01-19 at 04:18 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I relax by sitting down in a comfy chair and reading a good book.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

I relax by sitting down uncomfortably and reading a book upside down.

However, I do not disagree with your method. We are both unique and special.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

I relax by poking the internet, usually gitp, with a stick!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I used to relax by taking wooden sticks out of my Grandad's shed and pretending they were swords, I would then fight foul beasts. It also got rid of any anger I had.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, when I'm angry I tend to just bottle things up. You know, the healthy way.

24. - Top - End - #24

Heh, I knew this might get a bit... well, unrelaxing, heh. Nothing goes smoothly as planned.

Fred, I agree that a good book is an excellent way to relax! Any good, nondepressing ones you can recommend?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I generally have discussions as a way to unwind and work off steam. Sure, it get a bit frustrating if you're up against someone who just won't even try to be reasonable about things, but overall I find it fun and useful to put my opinions to the test every now and then.

As for relaxing in general: baths. Baths are awesome. Fact!

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
    People discuss things that can't be proven, opinions, nuances. People also tend to have an agenda that take precedence over the topic at hand. It's very North American to embrace the concept that an argument can be "won" or lost.
    Given the 'flat fact' that the ancient greeks had formal debates I'm going to have to dispute your assertion that try to win an argument is an American thing. It's also a little discourteuos to us non-Americans too, as well as just generally playing to a stereotype.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom Ninja View Post
    If hilarity ensues, "win" is accomplished.
    Wise words. Broaden your definition of what's funny and you will be able to feast upon much more win. Verbal pratfalls are as funny as faulty syllogisms, which are as funny as a picture which is worth a thousand flame-wars.

The win condition is a sort of all-inclusive neutrality, and while you may be huddled on a mountain-top of win, you can't actually move a foot away from it to claim the win, or you lose the spot.
    Last edited by Quincunx; 2009-01-19 at 05:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, I knew this might get a bit... well, unrelaxing, heh. Nothing goes smoothly as planned.
    Xom strikes again!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Queenfange
    Someone is Wrong on the Internet... But Let's Relax
    I lol'd.

As for relaxation: I have to admit, lately I've been thinking about taking up smoking. This is almost certainly a terrible idea.

Anyway, instead of that: TVTropes and cartoons on youtube (or what have you). Oh TVTropes, why would I ever need another drug...

29. - Top - End - #29

Heh, I used to get wound up about the internet, but then I remembered that every time I think someone else is wrong and dumb and a waste of space, I remember how many times I've been wrong and dumb and a waste of space, and that it really doesn't matter.

Then I sigh, and go back to playing with pure mathematics. Ah, maths. You're either a 1 or you're not. There's no ambiguity there!

And no-one bring up quantam, or else I might explode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Someone is Wrong on the Internet... But Let's Relax
    I lol'd.
    You may lol, but I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rei_Jin View Post
    Heh, I used to get wound up about the internet, but then I remembered that every time I think someone else is wrong and dumb and a waste of space, I remember how many times I've been wrong and dumb and a waste of space, and that it really doesn't matter.

Then I sigh, and go back to playing with pure mathematics. Ah, maths. You're either a 1 or you're not. There's no ambiguity there!

And no-one bring up quantam, or else I might explode.
    sup
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2009-01-19 at 07:12 PM.