New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: All the Strange, Strange Kingdoms - IC Thread

Spoiler
    Show
    No, I meant Mohawks group. Regenisis has been chasing this party since the beginning, and she was going to get there eventually.

Pathfinders are not immune, you were blowing off limbs, but they are my advantage like firearms are yours. You were damaging them badly and they were surviving....about equal.

You had a small group of goblins, I have a large bands of mercs. Mine are highly trained, so are yours. Its a matter of simple thought. First you underestimated how devestating a ambush is (everyone does, including myself) and you disregarded the high ground.

all I'm saying is that instead of you simply blowing through because you had firearms, I had enough chips on the table to even or tip it too me.

The battle with Mohawks group though was supposed to be far closer, but the first time you wrote it they wiped the mercs out and the second time I wiped the goblins out.

Neither of us made it close, and that wasn't my intention.

Am I making sense?

The Clerk got healing, thoug it was almost too late, he was slipping into coma.

When he awoke, it was days later, and Regenisis was sitting birdlike across from him.

"Ah, good you are finally awake"
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Smaller, lighter, more maneuverable, and the pathfinders were blinded.

I don't recall high ground... Maybe I just missed that one. Even with high ground, though, blind-fire on small targets just doesn't really work. Not enough targets, not enough volume, too much cover. That, and an ambush really needs to be pre-set, not deployed.

That, and I don't recall Warforged having more than one arm to operate crossbows. If the goblins had been blowing off arms, they should have been by all rights mission-killed. By your descriptions, I got the impression that the firearms were like bullets on the Terminator.

Next time we've got to do summarised versions. At least OOC.

Regenisis, though, I thought was a bit out-of-left-field, given that the battle really wasn't going slowly enough in IC time to let her just drop in. I was kind of expecting her to show up afterwards, moving in for the kill on a weakened group trying to escape.

---

The wildfire antics, though, were just not playing fair.

Agakaan
    The Clerk

The clerk merely stared blankly.

Spoiler
    Show
    PS: Details, Greystone. Not just a skip-to-conclusion, since getting the Clerk to help is a fair effort in and of itself.

That, and I'm interested OOC in the method Regenisis used to pull it off.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-01-27 at 07:17 AM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Clerk

Regenisis pouted "What? No gratitude for saving your life? Is a blank look the only thanks I get?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Blinded after they fired, and they wouldn't stay blinded for long. They took the laser, took damage from them, and kept fighting since warforged feel no pain.

High ground was for the group led by Mohawk, as the mercs were on the tower and gate.

I agree, next time we should be explain exacly the situation.

The wild fire is something given to gate guards. Though they usually throw it out.

OOC she simply took him to a cleric, we have them, not many, but we have them.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

4. - Top - End - #274

Spoiler
    Show
    Yep, that clinches it. Definitely gotta signpost what advantages we're calling on next time.

(Although an ambush should at least be hinted at before it gets pulled out, IMHO.)

Agakaan
    The Clerk

The clerk blinked a bit, in response. A coma isn't something one comes out of doing star jumps, after all.

"Urrrrrgh." was all he managed to groan for the next ten minutes. Finally, he managed to shake his head and wake up a little, rubbing his head.

"Guess it's all over then." he said, matter-of-factly.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-01-27 at 05:40 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

"indeed" Regenisis puts up a waring hand "If you are a mage, don't bother, it will be impossible to cast in this room"

She looks at him balefully "If it is any consolation, I really wanted to capture you alive, and what I've heard my men gave you practically opportunity."

She sits back "Now, why did you refuse to pay me my full amount, causing me to force my hand"

- SurlySeraph

6. - Top - End - #276

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Smith View Post

Mine..All mine

The huddled refugees of Salek trembled at the arrival of a group of short, shriveled-looking dwarves.

"We need to get to Armalen, these Tr'a'g'rok' have slain our kin,and our Leaders should known of them."The ancient Dwarf said shortly, even as Salek arrived, the hafts of a half-dozen spears still stuck in his side, arms,and legs.

"Bastards ran off. Creepy things, Big ears and wrinkled skin, riding Lizards. They use really..stupid, Black magic"he remarked, remembering the broken,twisted abominations one could call 'Undead'.
    Kela thought this over. " The Veii ?" she asked "We have good relations with the Veii, they would never do anything like this" She said incredulously "As for taking you to Armalen We need a direction in which to head "

Spoiler
    Show
    Kela is the only "short, shriveled-looking dwarve" the rest are goblins
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground

Armalen Countryside

No Role took a thoughtful bite from its apple, wincing. "Fighting Fate? This... likes that idea. This was useless to Those in the Clouds; this can only create fruits and vegetables, not the flowers Those live on. This taught its body to accept fruit..." It winces and its wings flutter spasmodically, "but it's not fun."

"This wishes to learn about fighting Fate. Can you show me?"

8. - Top - End - #278

EvilClericGuy

Diplomacy

Look at them all. A hoard of monsters, twisted by the surface. They made so much noise to, noise and light. It really was a wonder that all the Throdents and Jaberwokes in the area hadn't converged on them and torn them apart alredy.

Jek shook off these thoughts.He and his counterparts from the City of Shadow where hear to reason with these creatures. He had already identified the leader and called out to him from his location on a ledge just outside the lighted area "You are trespassing in Grundish territory .What is your purpose here."
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

9. - Top - End - #279

Agakaan
    Interrogation

The clerk sighed. "I suppose it doesn't matter anymore. We never had the money - we were supposed to provoke you into a fight then shoot you, claiming self defence. 'course, we didn't count on you having balls."

He was, of course, referring to the pair of grey balls Regenisis used to incapacitate him and the others.

"All we had was the admin money." he shrugged.

10. - Top - End - #280

Diplomacy

Three robed humans were mixed in within the Grundish delagation. The hoods of their black and purple robes pulled low over their faces to conceal their features. They were here merely as an advising role and would let their allies do most of the speaking. Master Petrus the leader of the delegation was not in the proper state of mind, under the effect ofs of powerful diamond magic, Lord Augustus was able to see through the Mage's eyes and largely had control over the mans body while being a large distance away from the actual encounter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Interrogation

"Do you know the story of the Ebon Hills"
    Regenisis said smoothly "It was once a Dwarven kingdom. They refused to pay as well, and we destroyed them utterly...except the ones who helped us"

She leaned down "On your back, is a small round disk. It works as a way for us to see and hear what you do. It also has enough explosive punch to level a half-a mile, no chance of resurrection for anybody in the area. We want you to give us every HQ and warehouse for the Ironhold Trading Company, so we can destroy them utterly. You do that, and we don't blow you up, and you can live a long healthy life, you try to take it off, and it explodes immediatly...your choice"

- SurlySeraph

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Watchtower on the Border

The Welans looked at themselves then at the strange, strange creature. They slowly approached him.

"- What the hell is he? How did he get there?"
    "- Look at him...we have never saw such a creature. Perhaps he is a spirit?"
    "- A spirit? Nonsense. I say he is a barbarian from the South."
    "- There is only one way to find out. We must seek the wisdom of the Ancients. Go wake up elder Kien. Immediately!"

One of the villagers ran to the elder's house while the others stood in a cricle around the stranger. They didn't raise their weapons, but they stayed vigilant. A few minutes later, the villager came back with a man in his sixties. The elder walked to the Jaela with the help of his staff.

"- Greetings. My name is Kien. I am a druid and the leader of this small colony. We are citizens of the Kelawen Republic. We call ourselves Welans as we follow the teachings of the First Spirit, the Great Mother, Wela. Who might you be?"

13. - Top - End - #283

Agakaan
    Interrogation

The Clerk could only raise an eyebrow, standing. He looked on his back - the disc was there, as promised.

"I see."

It wasn't too hard to figure out if the device was a bluff or not. After all, he was a gremlin, and it was only natural to understand just how much red magic and what type was in it.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Interrogation

Its actually very difficult to get a reading. The power seems artifically deafened, so to avoid magical sensing, but since he truly focuses on it he feels two magics writhing within the machine. A white aura, surrounded by a roiling red nexus.

Though difficult to pinpoint how powerful, it is easily enough to turn the goblin to nothing but dust, and perhaps it could equal Regenisis's statement.

- SurlySeraph

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Agakaan : the Temple of Burning Zeal

Huge. That was how to describe the very large clockwork encased at the front of the temple, a massive brass sun at its center, the hands being copper sun rays, each enchanted with minor white magic spell so that the True Light would always shine. The whole thing was massively decorated, with the strict and byzantine style of the Rivan surrounded by the overly complicated and technological style of the Gremlins.

But this was only one of the many features of the Temple that the clergy had built in Johara. The building itself, two hundred meters long for nearly thirty meters high, was one of the taller in the city, its sides ornamented with twenty large stone arcs each. They were used to support the weight of the outer walls while being also true masterpieces on their own, the void under them filled with mortar to form half-timbered walls, each connected by light wooden beams which supported a roof of thatch to block the rain. The access was open to any bystanders, be it as a shelter or as a museum.

Indeed, on the walls of the arcs, the adepts of the Cloud had painted icons of all the people the Theocracy had united, Agakaan included. The painting, protected from the rain, would be maintained by the Order of the Cloud and probably changed as the adepts learned more about the Federation's history. The clergy's hope was that the gremlins would be proud that foreigners knew of their history while at the same time learning about the True Faith and its heroes.

Higher, built atop the first set of arcs, was a second floor of arrows, each with an alcove where statues of holy men and women were displayed. Some had been left empty to add gremlins or goblins, when these races would have their first important adepts. Ten arrow per side, each supported by two arcs and sticking to the massive outer wall which, even higher, launched its own arrows with thin stained windows.

Inside, using the windows as a starting point, the gremlins had been busy to install a network of mirrors to carry the colored daylight into many rays which were all led to the main altar, a white marble table built in front of a three-feet-deep pool of water. Under said pools, copper pipes had been added to bring steam and hot water, boiled underground for important ceremonies.

The light, like a rainbow, colored the altar while the rest of the place was somewhat darker, though white candles were hung so that the many icons would be shown at the dancing shade of the flames. Using the gremlin know-how, a large brass organ had been built at the back of the temple, its music carried across the whole building as the stone roof, specially built in nose cones, was design to make it resonate high and loud.

At the very end of the construction, goblin-sized wooden stairs had been built against the walls, with wooden footbridges running high across the main hall, up to the four large stone columns which were set at the three iron gates, themselves heavily decorated with holy icons and covered with a layer of silver. There, anyone who entered the Temple could see how wide it was : from the main hall to the footbridges, at least 4.000 people could sit.

It had taken time, yes. But it was not finished, yet : it remained a large void in the roof, where a massive dome of wood was to be set. As a temporary measure, a canvas of blue cloth covered the hole for now.

And on this fine day of winter, as the sun finally showed itself at its brightest, the bishop of Agakaan had spread the word : the small building which had been used so far for ceremonies was closed. The new temple was open.

Spoiler
    Show

Yes, it takes time and it's still under construction. I'll love to have more information about what the cities of the Federation look like. I though of something like Italian cities during the 16th century, with steampunk elements maybe (at least for the "lots of metal" part), but I didn't wanted to describe too much without being sure.

16. - Top - End - #286

Spoiler
    Show
    !@#$ing weather. Sorry about the delay. Power outs and the like.

@Johel: Yeah - that's about the feel. 16th Century Italy, tiny smattering of steampunk in its workshops.

Agakaan
    Interrogation

The Clerk pondered the device a little longer, while Regenisis was still leaning over him. Even if he was standing, he was still less than hip height for the automaton.

"I suppose I haven't got much choice. I will tell you what you want to know, but only if you let me go."

Temple of Zeal

And the opening was a grand one, too, as the people of the city flocked to see the marvels of engineering and art brought together in the Temple of Zeal.

The halls swarmed with all manner of people (mostly goblins and gremlins, owing more to population ratios than anything), coming to look at the magnificent patterns and the rich tapestry that was the work of the Cloud Adepts.

Though the True Faith had few adherents in Johara - less still outside of Johara, no doubt Rivan had succeeded in capturing the imaginations of the goblins, and in time they would likely come around to their way of thinking.

Not immediately, of course, nor in the next few years, but the introduction of the True Faith had clear effect as gremlin engineers, inspired by the grandiose visions of the Rivanese, experimented further and built magnificent (though admittedly somewhat useless) works of art. So too was sponsorship for such projects easily given, as wealthy merchants sought to get into this new art form.

---

Arriving on the doorstep

The worg growled. Mantle looked down, and ran a reassuring hand over its head. "Easy there, Lussu." he said. "I know you don't like customs, but everyone has to go through it."

Lussu made a face. Or the closest worg equivalent. "They've never let goblins in before, why now?", she grumbled. "All I'm saying is nobody changes so easily, Mantello."

Mantle shrugged. "That's why they sent us first. Now shush - we're coming up to the checkpoint."

The Rivanese checkpoint was coming up, and Lussuoso slowed down to a steady padding pace. While Mantle did not carry the suggested 'identification papers', he was dressed in a sort of blue tunic/mail shirt combination, and his lightbringer hung openly at his side.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Arriving on the doorstep

"-Hey, look at what's coming ?"
    "-Goblin scum."

The soldier had nearly spitted his words. No templar was around to boss him and his collegue so he saw no reason to behave himself. If most Rivanian were faithfull people who tried hard to be friendly and openminded, the old habits were hard to die. And goblins were among the worst enemies of the locals, still stealing livestock and ambushing merchants.

So, it was with no surprise that the soldier shouldered his crossbow to aim the rider. But the hand of his collegue stopped him.

"-You've heard the orders about this, right ? He is alone and the rest of the squad is at the barrack, just over there. No reason to be tense."
    "-So, we check him first then shoot him ?"
    "-We check first. We *may* shoot after. I'll do the talking, you go back for the sergeant. Or even for Brother Mathias if you can find him."

As the sentry was now standing alone, a uneasy smile on his face and a sword in his hand, he welcomed the worg rider.
    "-Here is Rivan's border. What bring you here, gob... hum, traveler ?"

Underground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm bored to wait.

The army had advanced through the tunnels and caves, each squad connected to the rest of the troops through ropes, chanting sounds and pure white lights. Communication were a bit confused but the Rivanian compensated for it by holding a strict discipline, advancing slowly but with the firm resolve of believers.

The random monsters and goblins they encountered were easily dispatched by volley of bolts or crushed by the unstoppable wall of pikes. So far, the only casualties were a few dozen wounded. However, after 8 hours, the troops began to tire and a halt was ordered. Grey and Water magic were cast as defensive measures, creating jelly-like walls in the middle of the tunnels with an anti-magic zone just in front to avoid both enchanted troops ignoring the acid wall and enemy mages dispelling said wall.

Faith must spread : Kelawen

Nikabar and his delegation had traveled to the capital.
    Kensogan the bright...

18. - Top - End - #288

Agakaan
    Arriving on the doorstep

"I'm here to have a look around before we start sending any traders along. See what the markets are like." replied Mantle. He looked at the guard's drawn sword.

"Do you usually greet travellers with your sword out?" asked the rider. The guard got the distinct feeling that this was questioning.

"Maybe he's just happy to see us?" chuckled Lussu, prompting a look from Mantle.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-02-01 at 12:04 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289

@Johel: Me and kopout are trying to make contact with you. See our previous posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler
    Show

Youps... Didn't understand it.

Dipomacy

The Cardinal was surprised when he heard the voice.
    "-What's that coming from ?"
    Raising his sword, he casted a powerful light spell, revealing the appearance of the...dwarven ?
    "-More monsters !! Section, aim !!"
    "-Shut up, brother Gary. If it talks, it can find redemption. Lower the defenses."

As the water spell was dispelled, Monreskieu advanced, sheating back his sword.
    "-I'm Monreskieu, Cardinal of the Rivanian Theocracy. And we are there to find and punish those who profaned the corpses of our fellow humans. I apologize if we trepassed your territory but... It's kinda dark and confusing here."

Arriving at the door steps

"-No, not any travelers. Only those ridding increasingly large wolven. Identification papers, please."

21. - Top - End - #291

Agakaan
    Customs

"I see." replied Mantle, producing a small book and jotting something down. "I was not under the impression that travellers needed to be specially issued papers by the government."

He shrugged. "I'm sure there won't be any problems."

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Interrogation

"Well only if your information is accurate"
    she said grimly "The company will be, and must be completely demolished. If you agree to work with us, and you assure that they are destroyed, we may even have a opening here at the Ebon Hills for you...at worst we'll pay you with more than your life."

"If you lie...your dead and buried"

- SurlySeraph

23. - Top - End - #293

Agakaan
    Interrogation

"My branch was in Venira, up north. That's the only one I know of. I have no idea where the HQ is, though."

Venira was one of the Six Cities, a major port at the mouth of a river. Like the other cities of the federation, it had been cultivated into a centre of trade, and it wasn't unreasonable to believe that there was a branch of Ironhold Trading there.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Interrogation

Regenisis smiles a sharks smile "And this is where you can make money. Go to the HQ and report mission complete, but you were the only survivor" she turned "Get your pay, then do all in your power to find important members and other locations. You will be our inside man...and remember, we'll be watching"

- SurlySeraph

25. - Top - End - #295

Agakaan
    The Clerk

"I'll need my coat and firearm back - otherwise they'll be suspicious."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Interrogation

"They've been magically checked for anything that could hurt me so I don't see why not"

Spoiler
    Show
    She is an astute judge of chracter, who probably has far longer experiance in deceit than the goblin...she should tell the truth behind the words

- SurlySeraph

27. - Top - End - #297

Agakaan
    The Clerk

The Clerk put on his coat, and holstered his firearm, and left without a word. The truth behind his words? Difficult to say. Regenisis' impressions mostly told her that the gremlin was answering under duress, and was telling her what she wanted to hear. Whether it was the truth or not, was anybody's guess. He was scared of her, though - even if he didn't show it much in his speech.

It was fortunate for her that the Clerk had decided not to press a confrontation at the time - the lightbringer was more than capable of harming and killing her, just like a crossbow was more than capable of harming and killing anybody else. Even moreso. The wizards could check it all they liked - the design remained mostly inscrutable. Of course, it was too risky to try anything there and then anyway, given Regenisis' reflexes and the probability that she would survive at least one or two blasts.

He travelled long, through countries too insignificant to mention, until he was only a few days from Agakaan. He pitched his tent, and removed his coat, taking his firearm out and putting it down in front of him.

Taking out his little set of tools for maintenance, he carefully opened up the barrel of his weapon, removing the hilt from his weapon and making it look a lot like a particularly thick crystal-tipped wand.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-02-01 at 09:34 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

The clerk

If he pays attention (Which I assume he does) the Clerk (lets give him a name) notices he is followed by a dark envoy. The only clue of his nature is in his origin country and he skill to keep up with the goblin no matter how hard he tried to loose him.

The envoy entered the tent, after calling that he meant no harm.

The envoy walked in a saw the goblin, but made no comment of the weapon "What is your plan sir?"

- SurlySeraph

29. - Top - End - #299

Agakaan
    The Clerk

The Clerk looked at the 'envoy'. He decided to avoid giving his name, again.

"Plan? No, just weapon maintenance." he said, looking up at the envoy for a moment, before looking back to his weapon and picking up the barrel, looking through it and wiping the crystal with a small cloth.

"What's yours? You've been stalking me for weeks. Surely your employers have far better things to do with their resources than to send someone to follow me when you've already got the disk."
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-02-01 at 10:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

The Clerk

The envoy grinned slightly underneath his hood "I simply meant your plan for getting us the information" he raised an eyebrow "Jumpy lil' bugger ain't cha?"

"As for my stalking, I am here in case you need assistance, or if you proove to be as clever as I think you maybe. You only saw me because I allowed it. Besides...its always good to watch professionals work in person"

- SurlySeraph