New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: All the Strange, Strange Kingdoms - IC Thread

Agakaan
    The Clerk

"You wanted me to spy for you, I'm spying for you. I'm an employee, I walk in the front door. I don't see how you could possibly be of any use."

The Clerk shrugged, and looked at the Envoy.

Schiacciamento. he said, pointing at the Envoy. The envoy suddenly found himself unable to move as crushing forces enveloped him and applied an almost irresistible pressure to his form. Worryingly, this crushing force made it exceptionally difficult to breathe - doing much more was practically impossible. Slowly, the crushing forces lifted him into the air.

The Clerk stood, holding up the barrel.

"I'm sure you've got all manner of toys to break yourself free of that." he said, as he reached round to the device on his back, and squashed it.

Pressione Dissipa

The disc detonated.

However, it did not kill the Clerk as expected - his hand returned, clutching a seething ball of red magic, burning with light as it gradually leaked from its containment. It should have been impossible, by current theory. The Clerk winced, and containing it seemed to take a lot out of him. He probably couldn't hold it for too long*.

"I might have worked freely with you. I had no love for Ironhold Trading - nothing but another job."

The Clerk stabbed the barrel, crystal-first, into the ground. Then he moved the seething ball of red magic over to the intake area and pressed it in.

"No doubt you'll be coming after me, next. Well, the baton will probably hit it's limit in a few minutes, so you'd better think fast. I'm out of here."

The Clerk picked up his coat and left, while the barrel heated up, boring a tremendously hot hole into the ground. After about a minute, it began to smoulder quite disturbingly.

In the meantime, the Clerk made his very hasty escape, because he hadn't the slightest idea how much red magic would be left when his weapon failed. Fugga Molto! he quickly cast, accelerating with the wind behind his back as he blazed his way away from ground zero before either (Explosion or Envoy) could catch up.

He never did give up his name.

Spoiler
    Show
    Crushing Spell: Application of Red Magic to create strong forces which pin the Envoy in place. Envoy cannot smirk, laugh, or otherwise make smug facial expressions due to magic pressing parts of his hood over his mouth.

Detonation of Disc: Grey Magic applied using exceptional competence with Red Magic. The red magic is contained and expended via the barrel. Possible due to 'Outstanding Advantage' of Red Magic ability.

'Run Like Hell': Application of World Magic to the Rincewind school of martial arts. Gremlin runs like the dickens. Expeditious GTFO at its finest.

*This assumes that the device works as advertised. If it's just a tiny bomb, then it's a lot easier to handle for the Clerk and it simply burns out the firearm baton after a minute or so.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-02-01 at 11:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

The Clerk

The envoy's face, so full of life before, had fallen blank as soon as the spell had hit him. Too the Clerk's horror, the illusion dissipated and instead of an envoy, a simple human sized puppet lay before him.

The Clerk began to run anyway.

Suddenly a power slammed into his mind, and he froze, mere meters from the tent. A mans voice rang out in his head "Hahahaha, little goblin fool, you think you can play the Diamonds? Now you die."

The Clerk saw his wtent implode, and he knew that this time...there was no coming back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Now you know why the envoy followed you. You forgot the white magic in the bomb, which actually was a modified spell for healing/soothing the mind. Instead it opened the mind when you realized the red energy.

That made you easy pickings for my little "puppeter" using psychic magic.

Now I guess I'll have to destroy the Ironhold Trading Company the old fashioned way...
    Last edited by Greystone; 2009-02-01 at 11:51 PM.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

3. - Top - End - #303

Agakaan
    The Clerk

"!@#!." said the Clerk, as the envoy clattered to the ground, a puppet.

He didn't bother to run - he hadn't the slightest clue where the Envoy actually was, and he would be taken out in a moment. The taunting message, then the detonation.

Then, he was gone. Oh, he already knew there was no coming back - he was just a petty merc, even if he was a fairly skilled mage. Resurrection was for adventurers and people arguing about ethics.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

The envoy DID in fact continue on his mission. He walked into the city his target was going to and bought a room there. In there he brought out another, smaller puppet. One of a goblin make.

He animated it, gave it life, and sent it out to make a living, finding clues to where the company's HQ's were.

To Agakeen

An envoy is sent to the Goblin leadership, as a diplomat.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

5. - Top - End - #305

EvilClericGuy

@ johel: I assume that that post where you say that you arrive on the battlefield is non-canon siance it makes no sense and if you where killing goblins in the Underdark you where killing unarmed Grundsh citizens, and that would be Wrong.

Diplomacy

Jek blinked in the sudden blinding light. "How can the Dark be confusing ,it is the light that causes blindness."stated Jek confidently " As to the profaning of corpses we the Grund have never engaged in such activities"
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

6. - Top - End - #306

Agakaan
    The Puppet

A room was a good most certainly not in short supply in Venira, and it didn't take long for the Envoy to find a reasonably sized room in an inn. Said inn happened to be filled with mysterious hooded types who liked dark corners to sit in. He was completely unable to commandeer the mysterious corner, though - he would have to settle for sending out a puppet instead.

The puppetry was fraught with more problems than the room rental.

Given that the Envoy didn't speak goblin - moreover not speaking the local gremlin dialects of goblin, it was difficult to make any progress. Most Agakese Goblins spoke the common trade tongues as a matter of course, but there wasn't much he could pick up when goblins he asked replied in machinegun goblin and looked at him funny when he didn't understand.

It didn't really help that the worgs that were around the city here and there continually stared at the puppet, despite the illusion.

The Envoy

Conservation of detail applied unless otherwise noted, and this unnamed envoy coincidentally happened to be the investigator fellow we met before.

He eventually found his way to the Venira City Hall, where he was greeted by a clerk who he could have sworn was the one he killed only a week ago.

"Can I help you?"
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-02-05 at 05:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

The envoy

(No its not the same envoy, hereafter known as the puppeteer, he is to important to be risked in this. That and she is going to the MAIN center of leadership, not the city Hall.)

"I am an Emissary from the Ebon Hills"
    the woman's voice was high and musical, an elf " I have been tasked to see your ruling council"

- SurlySeraph

8. - Top - End - #308

Agakaan
    The Envoy

Being that Greystone wished to skip past going through the motions, the envoy was first turned away at the council chambers, and redirected to Johara city hall. She was then told that Council was not in session, and they did not make a habit of meeting with foreign diplomats, and that anything she had to say could be taken up with the Mayor.

Eventually, she made it to the office of Mayor Longtooth.

"Good afternoon. What can I do for you today?"

9. - Top - End - #309

Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post

Dipomacy
    "-I'm Monreskieu, Cardinal of the Rivanian Theocracy. And we are there to find and punish those who profaned the corpses of our fellow humans. I apologize if we trepassed your territory but... It's kinda dark and confusing here."

The leader of the three robed men speaks though unknown to those present his words are not his own "It is not the tunnels in which is the problem, though dangerous they are. It is how you and your army is travelling. With your bright lights, singing and even the very way your people walk you will be heard from many, many miles away and shall give away your numbers. Any creatures you wish to track will just descend deeper into the world where even greater terrors lurk."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

10. - Top - End - #310

Meeting with the Ambassador @ Greystone

Face to face. No Peeking!
    Spoiler
    Show

Wizard Fimus knocks on the door to Ambasador Korell's suite announcing his presence. "Ambassador, it is Master Fimus you wished to speak with us over an issue."
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Meeting with the Ambassador @ Greystone

ditto
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Ah, yes sorry to bother you" the simulacrum welcomed the man into his suite "Yes, I have some disturbing reports from the surface"

he brought out a sheet of paper "Do you know of the goblins?"

Annoyed Envoy

The black cloaked and armored elf stood tall "I am here to ask for the right to hunt down criminals in your land"
    Last edited by Greystone; 2009-02-05 at 10:37 PM.

- SurlySeraph

12. - Top - End - #312

Meeting with Ambassador

Spoiler
    Show

"It is no bother. I am here to serve. And, of course. Filthy little treacherous creatures. Their only use is for manual labor...and to think that on the surface they managed to cobble together a collection of cities a more distasteful notion I have never seen." The Veiian's hate for the small creatures is extremely obvious by the tone of his voice.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Meeting with Ambassador

ditto
    Spoiler
    Show
    Korell nodded darkly "Well, a group of the blighters, known as the Ironhold Trading Company, has refused the Ebon Hills payment"

he paused, then grinned like a shark "I was wondering if you wanted in for the slaughter"
    Last edited by Greystone; 2009-02-06 at 06:35 AM.

- SurlySeraph

14. - Top - End - #314

Meeting with Ambassador

Spoiler
    Show

"I would need to speak with the Council of Wizards but I do not see any reason why they would object to such an action. It is important to keep the creatures in their place."

15. - Top - End - #315

Agakaan
    The Envoy

Mayor Longtooth gave the envoy a stare. When the elf didn't volunteer what exactly she was hunting down her 'criminals' for, he continued.

"Who, exactly, are you intent on hunting down, and why are you hunting them?"

16. - Top - End - #316
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gremlin in Armalen

The older Armalen merely waved a hand.

"You may not know this Saer Book, but despite the politics of the Council we Armalens are all in the business of seeing our people prosper." The old man gave Book a slow, calculating look,then chuckled into his cup of Kaleya.

"Of course, certain...patrons, of the Jewel mines would be happy to see some of your people's fascinating weaponry to end up in the hands of the military quite pleasing." He leaned forward, his ancient chair creaking softly as he steepled his fingers under his chin.

"Not discounting the fact that you fashion weaponry using particularly good-quality jewels, it is simple business sense to have some of those weapons ourselves, don't you think?"

-----------

Dread Keep

The Queen raised an eyebrow at Jorge.
    "Oh?A shame. But you take too lightly the medical expertise of our People. Still, It would be in poor taste for Us to treat an ambassador so.."

She gave a small smile, and crossed one leg over the other languorously, brushing long hair back off her ear.

"Now then, to your deployments.."She beckoned, and the low table between them glowed faintly, the cut gem surface wavering and shifting as if made of water, an overhead map of Armalen and the Ebon hills forming out of the pale white jewels...

-------

Armalen Countryside

The old Monarch raised an eyebrow. "Flowers?Is it any flower, or only a specific one?"

He spoke idly, curious as he watched the strange creature shiver in disgust at its meal.

"Ah, fighting Fate.."The Monarch laughed and stood, stretching sot hat his old bones creaked.

"It is not something easy to learn, it is more of a..Desire, than a skill."His still regal-looking visage peered into No Role's curiously, as if looking for something in those eyes...

After a minute he laughed.

"I have a feeling you're one that can Fight Fate my strange new friend. Come, would you like to see my Home? It is quite Grand, and my Descendants love to Dote on me"He gave a wheezy chuckle.
    "Fear Vs. Hope. Hardly an even match"

"That's because you think of hope as something light and fragile. My version of hope has calluses and dirt under her fingernails and isn't past bringing brass knuckles to a fight."

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler
    Show

I'm sorry to say this but I won't have time to continue this thread.
    IRL catch up and even though I'm still active on this forum, I just can't follow this thread. It's all great and all but I just don't have the time to do so right now. I realized it when I read about the White magic bomb and wasn't able to react in time, simply because of busy schedule.

I apologize for quitting when the game's already well launched. The True Faith can still be a sub-plot, something like a bonus for the leaders who'll play along with the "Loyal Good-Neutral Good" theme of the Clergy.

For the Underground Invasion, let's play it straight : the templars want heads and they won't back off until they get the Veils...and will probably keep going simply because the Veils represent the opposite of what the True Faith preaches.

Have fun and sorry again.

18. - Top - End - #318

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry to see you go, Johel.

Damn it, and Agakaan was playing off so well with Rivan, too.

So that leaves, what, the Mountain guys and the Underground guys? Phooey.

Agakaan
    Book

"I believe that means we've been wasting our time." replied Book, standing and shaking the hand of the Armalen whose-name-has-escaped-me-at-this-time. "It's been a pleasure meeting with you, good sir, but if I am going to be establishing an agreement to trade arms, I should be dealing with the Lady Armalen herself."

"If there is nothing left to discuss, I'll be taking my leave."

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Dread Keep

Aliiza and Jeorge move to where they can see the map "Where do you want them milady?"

The Envoy

The Elf didn't miss a beat "The Ironhold Trading Company has broken a contract with the Ebon Hills we have come for our payment"

- SurlySeraph

20. - Top - End - #320

Agakaan
    The Envoy

Mayor Longtooth nodded. "I see. Do you have a copy of the contract?"