New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: All the Strange, Strange Kingdoms - IC Thread

Faith must spread : Agakaan Federation

The Cardinal stepped forward. This cardinal wasn't used to speak to the crowd. The largest group he ever had had to address to was a large class of adepts-in-training for the Order of the Owl. Scientists and clerks for the most part, who didn't expected him to be charismatic. Just to teach them the facts. And that's what he did with the gremlin.

"-Good day, my...child. We are adepts of the True Faith, sent by the Clergy on a quest to bring light in the darkest corners of this world. Your people are...interesting, to say the least, and we desire to know more about them. I've been told by one of your fellow goblins that you are the one in charge of this community. If it is true, then me and my brothers and sisters are ready to assist you in whatever way you may find us useful. The only thing we ask is for you to convert to the True Faith."

Faith must spread : Ebony Hills

As one man, all templars raised their shield and put themselves between the adepts and the hills, forming a wall of iron and flesh to protect those couldn't fight. The soldiers were slower to react but soon, crossbows and spears were ready.

Despite the martial demonstration, the expedition wasn't there to fight and so the Cardinal Virius, an former orator of the Cloud Order, advanced to introduce himself to the invisible archer.

"-I am Virius, adept of the True Faith, sent by the Rivanian Theocracy to spread peace and justice across this forsaken lands !! We believe in a world where no man should have to drew a weapon against his brother and would rather work with him for the Greater Good of both.

Me and my brothers are here to assist you in whatever way you may have a need. I see black rocks and dead plants where green fields could be. I see misery and waste where wealthy cities could stand. But I don't see you, my child, when people should not fear the strangers but rather welcome them warmly, as they must be like brothers and work together as a big family !!

So come now and reveal yourself. No harm will be done as the best weapon of the shepherd is his voice. And I'm convinced that, as skilled as you seems, you won't shot a disarmed band of pilgrims. Or would you ?"

At the Cardinal's signal, every single templar lowered their weapons. Once again, the soldiers, who weren't as faithful as the warrior monks, hesitated before obeying.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Ebon Hills scouts, mostly flesh and blood, but a couple warforged as well, stand from their positions. Most of them carry long recurve bows, but the warforged heft great crossbows.

"Not unless we have a bounty" laughed the one in charge "But what exactly is your business here, despite spouting rhetoric"
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

"-As I told you, we are here only to serve those who believe...as well as the others, if it can help them to see the light. But experience taught us that, for our help to be the most efficient, we have to give it to men of power. Men who can really change things. Introduce us to your monarch and he will be more than pleased."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Some of the men hid their mouths to laugh but the leader remained straight-faced "I doubt it, but I shall take you to the Doctor"
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

"-The Doctor it is, then !! You heard him, my children, let's move !!"

As the fifty or so adepts and soldiers began to move, the Shield archdeacon went near Virius to whisper.
    "-Cardinal, I've got a bad feeling about this doctor. And these strange statues...that's not natural."
    "-Of course, it's not. But we also use magic to ease our daily burden. I find it no less natural than using a tool. The dark arts aren't here, my son. I'm sure we can trust them."

The Cardinal smiled at the scout leader before following him, the rest of the expedition behind him.

"-So, tell me, my son, who is this doctor, exactly ? I've already heard similar titles among other peoples. Is he some kind of healer ? But I must seem rude to you, sorry. What's your name ?"
    Last edited by Johel; 2009-01-17 at 12:08 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

"My name is Captain Spears"
    the Captain remarked " As to the Doctor, I doubt he is what you would call a healer"

One of the warforged coughed polity, urging the Captain on.

"Well, he is the boss, a scientist and the head of the Mercenary Company"
    Last edited by Greystone; 2009-01-17 at 12:14 PM.

- SurlySeraph

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

Meeting with Korell

Private Talk! No Peeking!

Spoiler
    Show

"Excellent. I will see what I can do. Is that all?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Meeting with Korell

Spoiler
    Show
    "Well, if I could just get a rough estimate of the amount of prisoners you can get, and how many will be Magi" he jotted down some notes "also could we set them up on a surface settlement, one that appears you were trying to colonize the area? We go in, wipe them out, and everyone is happy"
    Last edited by Greystone; 2009-01-17 at 01:35 PM.

- SurlySeraph

9. - Top - End - #129

Meeting with Korell

Spoiler
    Show

Barius ponders the questions for a moment, "I believe we will be able to secure somewhere around a hundred bodies for your purposes. As for how many we can make up to look like Magi, that would probably be around a dozen or so. I believe that number would please your client. After all, have they ever even seen one of us? They might as well be chasing after ghosts."
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Meeting with Korell

Spoiler
    Show
    "Excellent, and about the fake settlement?" he mused "A fake outpost burnt to the ground will add credence to our story" he began to right numbers down-3,690, 4,560....

- SurlySeraph

11. - Top - End - #131

Meeting with Korell

Spoiler
    Show

"That should not be a problem. I am sure we can find some old abandoned human settlement within the mountains to use."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Meeting with Korell

Spoiler
    Show
    Korell shrugged "Works for us, contact me with the location as soon as its ready and we shall have our heads, and soon we can begin that study" he stood "I shall contact Regenisis to gather a battalion"

- SurlySeraph

13. - Top - End - #133

Meeting with Korell

Spoiler
    Show

Barius stands and bows to the Ambassador "I will speak with the Council immediately and we will begin gathering the bodies. I will be in contact with you again shortly." With a click of his heels he spins around and exits the Ambassador's quarters. There was much work to do.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Meeting with Korell

Spoiler
    Show
    Korell sat back with a small smile on his face....his work was done

OOC-Now where do we go from this? Do I just post me going to him with the bodies?

- SurlySeraph

15. - Top - End - #135

Preparing the bodies

@Greystone

Secret! No peeking but Greystone!

Spoiler
    Show

The Council was pleased with their alliance with the Ebon Hills, Lord Titus was particulary smug about it. While expensive it had paid off well in revealing this plot against the City and they would play their enemies for fools. A list was compiled of prisoners that were deemed acceptable for the ruse. In the end it was narrowed down to 30, 30 men and women who had no knowledge on how to pass through the Shadow Veil into Veii. 12 of which would bear the insignia ring of a Mage from varying schools, of course these insignias would be phony so that if another Magic user attempted to divine their origin it would be fruitless as no school existed bearing that symbol. An additional 80 bodies would provided by surface raiders from recently killed humans.

For added security to prevent the communications with the deceased spirits, the souls of these chosen individuals would be sold to infernals to assure that they could not be raised or contacted. Secrecy was paramount in this mission.

On the surface an old mining colony was selected as the site of the "massacre" it had been deserted for years after a Veiian assault against it. It would make an ideal location for the battle to take place. All it needed was some burnt buildings and broken weapons which the Ebon Hills mercenaries could provide.

With the bodies in place all that was needed was for the Mercs to collect them and for the foolish client to pay out the gold owed for their vicious crusade against the City of Shadows.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll finish this massacre as soon as Ping can answer my "No contracts are broken clause"

Sorry LongVin...

- SurlySeraph

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

"-Mercenary Company ?"
    Maybe the archdeacon was right, after all. Now Virius too had a bad feeling. Mercenaries... If there was one despicable, soulless scum in this world, that was well the ones who were living on wars and conflicts. As if to kill was a worthy skill !! Of course, some had to be good at it but only as long as evil and anarchy would inhabit this world. And the Clergy was precisely working to get rid of them.

"-You...are in charge of these lands, right ? You are not just working as mercenaries for the local lord, aren't you ?"
    Had Virius not been a former adept of the Cloud, used to speak to the crowds and to hide his own opinions, the mercenaries would have felt a wave of disgust and distrust in the Cardinal's words.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, sure, this here is the Ebon Hills, now home to the Black Diamond Mercenary Company." the Captain remarked easily. Varius feels something odd at the back of his mind, but then it disappears " Oh, I think you feel a certain distaste for our profession"

He and some of the men made mock signs distress "Well, we aren't all murderors, some of us here just work the land or factories" he shrugged "Or are used to discourage war. Don't judge us by a label, that is unbecoming of a Cardinal"

Spoiler
    Show
    He is a Doppleganger, aka a mind reader

- SurlySeraph

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Virius was shocked by the ability of Spears. Was the warrior also a Diamond mage ? Or was it something else ? He judged that merely thinking about the question was akin to asking it to Spears. The mercenary would answer if he wanted to. As he couldn't hide his thoughts, The Cardinal showed no more reserve.
    "-You think well, capitain."
    The "my son" was gone, of course.
    "-We understand the necessity of violence in this world and I won't blame those who dedicate their lives to protect those of others. But mercenaries... You must agree that there is something odd, there. Most of our templars and all of our soldiers wish to never have to fight. They want to serve and protect but are glad when their services are not required. Because it means peace. Mercenaries are doing the opposite : they wish for conflicts to erupt so that they can fight and become wealthy.
    He paused for a while, looking around as the group crossed a bunch of black hills. To see so few plants was disturbing. Wasn't this land already beyond redemption ?
    "-I understand easily that a band of...soldiers was able to claim these lands : nothing can grow here. Your company must either be small or very wealthy if it can afford to live here. Has it been around for long ?"

Spoiler
    Show

You decide when we meet the doctor.
    Until then, Virius will keep asking questions.

20. - Top - End - #140

Agakaan
    Mercenary Business

"In that case, let us move on to a second contract that we wish to take out with the Ebon Hills Mercenary Company." replied Barak, leaving the contract on the table.

"We wish to negotiate for a contract guaranteeing the total confidentiality of all dealings between Ironhold Trading and the Ebon Hills Mercenary Company, and we are prepared to provide a five per cent discount on Ironhold Trading arms across the board."

Spreading the True Faith

The gremlin stared at the missionaries for a moment.

"Missionaries. Right. Hold on a second, if you would."

The clerk rummaged under his desk for a moment, before producing a colourfully illustrated brochure entitled 'Agakaan - Everything you want, in the one place'. He flipped it open and began reading aloud.

"Welcome to the fine city of Johara, jewel of the six cities of Agakaan. Whether you are here for business, art, or leisure, Johara has it all!"

"Looking for that special something? Try the Johara marketplace, where you will find all manner of merchants selling everything from apples to exotic spices at reasonable prices!"

"An art lover? Visit the Council Gallery, where the works of hundreds of artists hang for display, including a special exhibition by elven artist Alundel Silverbloom!"

"Here for leisure? Try one of our many inns all around the city. Our city guard will keep you safe while you relax in your own luxurious suite!"

He continued reading from the traveller's brochure.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

"Follow me" The Captain begins to lead the party to Doctor Unbara.

On the way, questions were answered and asked.

"True, BUT sometimes war scars and maims the mind, or one finds that this is all they are good at in life" the Captains voice has changed, instead of vaguely countryish, it was now crisp and uppercrust "We do a service that few else can fill, we help end wars, our presence stops would be invaders. Are we the sinners or are the people who hire us"

as an afterthought "The BDMC has been around for around forty odd years, but the takeover is very recent." he smiles "Don't let the looks fool you...there are some, very few, green or beautiful places here"

- SurlySeraph

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Mercenary Business

"Hmmm" Julius drew another parchment and wrote down a passage.

"Ironhold Trading has confidentiality to all other customers of the Ebon Hills. The Ebon Hills will not tell the name, speak the name in context, hint through use of mixing letters about, or going through proxy"

"Is that acceptable?"

- SurlySeraph

23. - Top - End - #143

Agakaan
    Mercenary Business

"You seem to have forgotten to actually mention what you will not disclose. It hardly seems total, either. Here, allow me to write what I believe will be a satisfactory agreement between parties."

Terms of Contracture Between Ironhold Trading and the Ebon Hills Mercenary Company

Henceforth, all mentions of 'Ironhold Trading' refer to Ironhold Trading Company in all shapes and forms. All mentions of 'Ebon Hills' refer to the body generally understood to be known as the Black Diamond Mercenary Company in all its shapes and forms, including the Ebon Hills Mercenary Company.

All dealings between Ironhold Trading and Ebon Hills, inclusive of all dealings under aliases of both parties, are subject to the following regulations:

1. The Ebon Hills will not disclose or attempt to disclose the identity of Ironhold Trading or its representatives in any way, shape or form except to the elf known as Julius Vec or a duly appointed representative of Julius Vec, subject to approval by Ironhold Trading.

2. All dealings* between Ironhold Trading and the Ebon Hills will be conducted strictly between a representative of Ironhold Trading and either Julius Vec or his duly appointed representative, subject to approval by Ironhold Trading. All such dealings are confidential, and only employees of Ebon Hills directly involved with said dealings or the results of any such dealings may be informed of aforementioned dealings. Dealings, in the context of this document, refers to any and all agreements made between Ironhold Trading and Ebon Hills, subject to specific exemption by mutual agreement. The contents of this document are not subject to this regulation, however, all other regulations apply.

3. Ironhold Trading hereby acknowledges the Preferential Buyer status of Ebon Hills, and agrees to provide weaponry to Ebon Hills as detailed in the Ironhold Trading Preferential Buyer Charter. In addition, Ironhold Trading will provide a discount of Five Per Cent on all arms purchased from Ironhold Trading.

4. Violation of any of the aforementioned terms is grounds for the termination of any contract currently active with the Ebon Hills, at the discretion of Ironhold Trading.

5. No dealings between Ironhold Trading and Ebon Hills will in any way involve explosive or otherwise booby trapped text, including the use of magic.
    "I trust this is acceptable. Your signature, please."

24. - Top - End - #144

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LongVin View Post
    Being Watched

"We have many contacts with the surface dwellers through our trade networks. What specifically do you wish to know? Do you wish to establish diplomatic relations with the City of Shadows?" the voice comes back.
    "We wish to know because our contacts with the uperworld have been few." replied the captain honestly " As to establishing diplomatic relations, well, we must report back and talk with our superiors on this ."

Jeial, City 1

Interesting, so the Veii wished to talk. Well, there was no harm in sending an ambassador. Who knows, they may just find out more than the Veii where wiling to say outright. The team would consist of Karel, a skilled diplomat and negotiator ,Rassin, one of the city's best biomages, and Ursk, a craftsman of renown skill who would be travailing incognito as a member of the guard force to scope out any technology that may be useful to the Grund.

Place of the Watch

The delegation had arrived at the place they had first contacted the Veii and Karel made there presence known to the Veii undoubtedly waiting just out of visual range.
    Last edited by kopout; 2009-01-17 at 08:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

25. - Top - End - #145

Being Watched

A windowless lizard drawn carriage emerges from the darkness, the door opens and out comes a man dressed in the black and purple robes of a Magi "Will those who wish to enter the city of shadows please step on board"

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

"-Well, that's a point we disagree on, Captain. I feel sad for the man who can't use his life for anything but to kill and destroy. What's the use to stop a war if you could have prevent it in the first place ? But let's not our opinions get in the way for now. If the Doctor accepts our help, those scars you're talking about will be healed and the mercenaries will find more noble purpose."

Faith must spread : Johara

The cardinal staid there for a minute, mute with surprise as the gremlin proceeded to read the brochure. It was not until the little monster ended his lecture that the adept finally answered.
    "-...I think you misunderstand me. We are no tourists. More like... ambassadors. We are willing to help you if...wait, are you the leader of this city or am I mistaken ?"

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

"very well" the rest of the trip goes in silence. As they begin to near the Capital, the sky opens up a bit and small farms and trees are seen. The mountain of Karak Dulvorosh is huge and awe inspiring.

The go into the mountain and eventually end up at a entrance hall. Regenisis stands in the center of the room, in a leather tunic and pants. Her short white hair fell past her ears and her pitch black eyes stared at them.

"So, what are you doing here" she sounds cheerful and normal, which is odd due to her appearance.

- SurlySeraph

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Mercenary Business

"All of it besides the last. All of the Ebon Hills contracts are enchanted with a powerful charm and curse. It is the way we assure that all contracts are fulfilled. If you do not pay you will die, and if I tell that the Ironhold Trading Company was involved...I'll die. It is a two way charm. We are not saying we do not trust you, but it tends to make sure rogue and dangerous thoughts enter our head"

Raid on a Veiin Outpost

Regenisis, bestride her Rage Drake, looked down on what was previously a Human mining outpost. The people of the City of Shadow seemed to have taken up residence here, and already little improvements had been made.

With a wave of her hand the Ebony warforged converged on the targets. Regenisis smiled, an easy victory was a good victory.

IronHold Trading HQ

Regenisis and her troop of warforged entered their land and waited to be admitted. A large wagon trundled behind them.

- SurlySeraph

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

"-Doctor Unbara, I presume ?"

The cardinal bowed slightly as he introduced himself. He was surprise that rude mercenaries had chosen a woman to lead them.
    "-Cardinal Virius, of the True Faith Clergy. I've travelled from the Rivanian Theocracy to bring you a message of peace and a proposal you'll find interesting. But we can talk about it latter. For now, let me tell you that I'm impressed. This whole land seem to be cursed or something but here, around this very city, it's a true Eden. You and your people can be proud of their achievements in such a difficult climate. About your people, by the way, how can we name it ? I suppose "Black Diamond " is just the company's name. What are your people called ?

He saw again one of those strange golem-like creature walking past the hall. By the Holy Light, what were they ?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Spreading the faith

"I apologize for the misunderstanding" the woman said, her ebony eyes unmoving "I am Regenisis, Dr. Unbara's second in Command. As for the land, it was like this when we took it, the dwarves had strip mined and broken it down, a shame but it suits us. As for our peoples name, we have none, since all of us are from different countries and..." she put a hand on her heart "...,backrounds"

"Would you like to speak with the Doctor or banter words with myself, he is quite busy and may not be able to see you immdiatly"
    Last edited by Greystone; 2009-01-18 at 02:12 PM.

- SurlySeraph